NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Good stuff. Ended up pretty similar to the list I just posted. I’m just not as high on parekh overall.

Ottawa first-round draft busts since 2005:
  • Brian Lee (2005 9th OA)
  • Jim O'Brian (2007 29th OA)
  • Jared Cowen (2009 9th OA)
  • Matt Puempel (2011 24th OA)
  • Colin White (2015 21st OA)
  • Logan Brown (2016 11th OA)
  • Shane Bowers (2017 28th OA)
  • Jacob Bernard-Docker (2018 26th OA)
  • Lassi Thomson (2019 19th OA)
  • Tyler Boucher (2021 10th OA)
Boucher is not a bust yet. Jbd also not a bust yet but a real dumb decision.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Unpopular opinion, I know, but Boucher doesn't deserve to be considered a bust just yet.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Another podcast touching on Ottawa's pick and Yakemchuk

It is the same Brad Allen that is featured in other podcast.

He actually addresses the issue I raised when listening to other podcast and he gives a much better answer regarding what he meant by Yakemchuck not making the players around him better. He said he wasn't actually talking about his playmaking abilities. He seems to think they are rather good although doesn't really expand on it. He thinks that Yakemchuk always activating as a fourth forward puts his teammates in the constant position of having to recover for him, which takes away from them somehow. I wonder what Brad Allen thinks about a scenario where Yakemchuk is surrounded by offensively gifted players? Is he always activating or can he relax not having to to be the offensive catalyst?

I find the discourse around Dickinson getting odd. Hockeyprospects will basically say this guy is so offensively limited he may never see a second unit PP in the NHL, while also acknowledging he is not a top end shutdown guy either. With no powerplay time, Dickinson becomes a solid 25 point defensive defensemen, with hardly any bite. I really don't think he is worth upending our LD position for, which is our deepest. It would inevitably mean trading out a Chabot to inject a Jake Sanderson light into the lineup. I said this before and got a lot of pushback. Are we really sure that Dickinson will be that much better than Kleven? It is not Yakemchuk with problematically low IQ; it is actually Dickinson

Last edited:
Reactions: Icelevel

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Token Scouting report from Scouch just cuz and because its on a hot topic.

This is the first scouting report I listened to from Mr. Scouch in quite a while.
Good entertainment value :laugh:

Reactions: DrEasy

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Hey Rafi, who would you like to see the Sens pick with their 7th OA or if they move down to 12th?
I haven't studied this draft as closely so I am not as sure who the best picks would be. I really like the way Tij Iginla plays so I would be happy with him. If he is gone I would be happy with Cayden Lindstrom if he falls. I have also been impressed with what I have seen from Beckett Sennecke.

As for D I am assuming Levshunov is gone by the time we pick. I like the footage I have seen from Carter Yakemchuck but I heard he didn't perform well at the combine so maybe he isn't as good of an option as I initially thought.

As for a little later in the draft I like Liam Greentree, Yegor Surin, Dean Letourneau, and A.J. Spellacy

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I haven't studied this draft as closely so I am not as sure who the best picks would be. I really like the way Tij Iginla plays so I would be happy with him. If he is gone I would be happy with Cayden Lindstrom if he falls. I have also been impressed with what I have seen from Beckett Sennecke.

As for D I am assuming Levshunov is gone by the time we pick. I like the footage I have seen from Carter Yakemchuck but I heard he didn't perform well at the combine so maybe he isn't as good of an option as I initially thought.

As for a little later in the draft I like Liam Greentree, Yegor Surin, Dean Letourneau, and A.J. Spellacy
You've named most of the players I like in this draft, but there are more further down. Hopefully they come away with a couple of good prospects.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Token Scouting report from Scouch just cuz and because its on a hot topic.

This is the first scouting report I listened to from Mr. Scouch in quite a while.
Good entertainment value :laugh:

His videos are good (slick and entertaining) and he obviously puts the work in analyzing the draft.

Bob's list is coming out today and I would anticipate Yakemchuk maybe falling a spot or two based on all the combine noise, but we will see if this has a material impact.

I wouldn't also be surprised to see one or both of Dickinson and Parekh drop down a bit either, with maybe Senneke or Buium displacing them.

I really don't understand Konsta Helenius being in the top ten, so I think he falls out. I initially went into this draft wanting a forward and watched him as much as I could, including the U18s. I didn't come away impressed. Same goes for Tij Iginla, I was expecting a play driving winger, but he really is a 6'0 goal scorer - a give and go type - and left-handed on top of that. This type of player is generally considered a low value target relative to defensemen, centers and power-forwards. But ultimately, I think he stays in the top ten.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Can we really count Bowers as a bust for us? We traded him before he was really in the system. Sounds more like a Colorado bust to me.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
We still picked him and he busted. I’m glad we have new people at the top making our first round picks. We’ve been abysmal the last decade
Generally the GM makes the 1st round picks and the the Head Scout runs the rest of the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad