NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I'm assuming that he's insinuating the Sens want to pick ~25 where they have been scouting all year, and that coincides with him saying the Sens are going to move back with the Flyers who own the 12th and 32nd pick

You could be right, but that would be quite a leap on his part.

Trade out of seven so they can get into the mid 20s? That just doesn't make sense. Move up from 39 if you're so into the mid 20s.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You could be right, but that would be quite a leap on his part.

Trade out of seven so they can get into the mid 20s? That just doesn't make sense. Move up from 39 if you're so into the mid 20s.
Well that would be secondary if that were to occur, they would have to feel that the guy they want and would take at 7 is there at 12, or that they are just fine getting any number of guys who could be there at 12 along with 32 and keep 39.

I'd love to add an Ostapchuk type guy to the depleted pool if they feel they can get their guy, or a guy they view as equal to who they would take at 7, at 12.

Reactions: aragorn

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Well that would be secondary if that were to occur, they would have to feel that the guy they want and would take at 7 is there at 12, or that they are just fine getting any number of guys who could be there at 12 along with 32 and keep 39.

I get the concept of maximizing the value of the 7OA asset by trading a few slots down, but I just can't imagine them being so jazzed about the mid-to-late 20s of this draft that trading out of 25OA has anything to do with what they do with 7OA.

This looks to me like Yost grasping for evidence that his tip was accurate.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I get the concept of maximizing the value of the 7OA asset by trading a few slots down, but I just can't imagine them being so jazzed about the mid-to-late 20s of this draft that that is at all part of their thinking.

This looks to me like Yost grasping for evidence that his tip was accurate.
Oh I'm not saying it's valid, but just what I'd assume his reasoning is

I don't think it would be that they're so jazzed up about a pick at 32, and more so that they would be fine taking whatever they can get for moving down to a slot they feel comfortable getting a guy they would have otherwise been happy taking at 7. They're happy with Yakemchuk, or Sennecke, or Catton, or Iginla, or Solberg etc.

They likely get a guy they have in their top 15 at 32, knowing the Sens lists

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Oh I'm not saying it's valid, but just what I'd assume his reasoning is

I don't think it would be that they're so jazzed up about a pick at 32, and more so that they would be fine taking whatever they can get for moving down to a slot they feel comfortable getting a guy they would have otherwise been happy taking at 7. They're happy with Yakemchuk, or Sennecke, or Catton, or Iginla, or Solberg etc.

They likely get a guy they have in their top 15 at 32, knowing the Sens lists

They likely get a guy they have in their top 15 at 39, knowing the Sens, but I hear you.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
The underlying variable rankings of these defensemen is really interesting on Bob's list:

Dickinson:
High as No. 5 and as low as No. 16
Eight of 10 scouts had him in their Top 10

Buium:
High as No. 6 and no lower than No. 11
Nine of 10 scouts slotting him in their Top 10

Parekh:
High as No. 3 and as low as No. 13
Seven of 10 scouts placing him in their Top 10

Yakemchuk:
High as No. 4 on one list and as low as No. 20
Four scouts having him in their Top 10.

Now forwards in our range:

Iginla:
Iginla was ranked as high as No. 6, no lower than No. 12 and six of 10 scouts had him in their Top 10.

Sennecke:
Sennecke was ranked by our scouting panel as high as No. 5, no lower than No. 14 and had a total of four Top 10 votes.

I think Anaheim has real opportunity to mess up this draft and go completely off the board if Levshunov is taken by Chicago. Verbeek likes size and mostly drafts out of Canada. Habs are always a wildcard and Utah has went off the board before. It is going to be fun ride.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I'd love to add an Ostapchuk type guy to the depleted pool if they feel they can get their guy, or a guy they view as equal to who they would take at 7, at 12.
They thought Boucher was "their guy" and that did not work out well.

Getting a player in the draft that's ranked high by McKenzie or other reputable draft ranking service would make me happier than the Senator's scouts getting "their guy"!

Reactions: Laphroaig

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Friedman said he does think the Flyers had something going on with us but due to the Michkov signing he’s not so sure it’s going to happen anymore. The context was that Michkov signing is gonna change their plans as far as to what they want to try and do next year.

This was today on 32 thoughts podcast.
The number of things I am not sure about is pretty long... I could post one a day for a very long time. I am not sure exactly how long.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Martian basically saying again we’re gonna pick Iginla

I sure hope if Iginla is available they can trade down the pick to Calgary and draft Parekh or Buium + 2nd round pick. Or just pick Iginla at 9OA if Calgary doesn't pick him there lol.

The top 9 is stacked. Need to leverage Iginla's availability at 7OA if it happens. Maybe that's what they're doing: posturing and making Calgary nervous.

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
I sure hope if Iginla is available they can trade down the pick to Calgary and draft Parekh or Buium + 2nd round pick. Or just pick Iginla at 9OA if Calgary doesn't pick him there lol.

The top 9 is stacked. Need to leverage Iginla's availability at 7OA if it happens. Maybe that's what they're doing: posturing and making Calgary nervous.
Or flip 7 for 9 then 9 for 12. Picking up assets along the way.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
They thought Boucher was "their guy" and that did not work out well.

Getting a player in the draft that's ranked high by McKenzie or other reputable draft ranking service would make me happier than the Senator's scouts getting "their guy"!
How do you know it “did not work out well” if he hasn’t played?
Are you saying don’t be dumb and draft players that are going to get injured in the future?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Pinto missed out on the big buck max term Dorion extension party.. He sees his team mates with the 7 or 8 year deals in the 8m range and he wonders why not me ..
Well Shane there is a new Sheriff in town and the rules have changed. Take a bridge and out play the contract. You have lots of time.

Wrong thread but imagine it in the Pinto thread

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Kleber’s O/U is set even at 39.5.

Pretty much exactly the type of guy we should be looking at with our 39th.

Edit: Changed to 40.5 quick as that
On Bob's / TSN's top 100 list there are several decent picks in that 36-46 range

36. Letourneau
37. Griden
38., Pulkkinen
39. Massé
40. Pettersson
41. Freij
42. Wallenius
43. Stiga
44. Eriksson
46. Miettinen

I like 50. Shuravin as well. 51 is Kleber so still a good group there. Even Gill at 53 and Danford at 54 would be fine picks at 39...

Hopefully the Sens can move up into the 3rd anyway with a couple of 4ths

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
On Bob's / TSN's top 100 list there are several decent picks in that 36-46 range

36. Letourneau
37. Griden
38., Pulkkinen
39. Massé
40. Pettersson
41. Freij
42. Wallenius
43. Stiga
44. Eriksson
46. Miettinen

I like 50. Shuravin as well. 51 is Kleber so still a good group there. Even Gill at 53 and Danford at 54 would be fine picks at 39...

Hopefully the Sens can move up into the 3rd anyway with a couple of 4ths
Speaking of Bob, he had Buium at #7. I was thinking this was probably posted before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad