NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The Ottawa and Boston drafts are bad comparisons. Boucher and Senyshyn were bad picks because they were 2nd round ranked guys taken in the 1st.

Taking Catton/Lindstrom/Iginla/Helenius/Yakemchuk over an LHD wouldn't be a bad move since those guys are ranked around the same as the big LHDs in this draft.
Ya that where I’m at as well, Dick played on a good team, Yak a bad one,
switch roles and have Yak play for the Knights, or insert player X.
Second most goals by a defender, 3 behind Parekh
I recall being laughed at for wanting 8 goal scorer Brady over Zadina, or for wanting Sanderson.

The mock rankings are so jumbled this year, there is no reach.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
But you’re going off consensus lists.

Sens could have Dickinson 5th and Yakemchuk 10th. That’s a huge gap at that point of the draft. It’s different if you’re talking pick 130 and pick 135 where it probably is a small margin of difference.
Could also be the other way around. I think they are much closer than that in talent level, Dickinson played for the powerhouse London Knights while Yakemchuk played for the offensively challenged Calgary Hitman, that makes a big difference.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ya that where I’m at as well, Dick played on a good team, Yak a bad one,
switch roles and have Yak play for the Knights, or insert player X.
Second most goals by a defender, 3 behind Parekh
I recall being laughed at for wanting 8 goal scorer Brady over Zadina, or for wanting Sanderson.

The mock rankings are so jumbled this year, there is no reach.
They weren't laughing at you because of that.

• Haha
Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The Ottawa and Boston drafts are bad comparisons. Boucher and Senyshyn were bad picks because they were 2nd round ranked guys taken in the 1st.

Taking Catton/Lindstrom/Iginla/Helenius/Yakemchuk over an LHD wouldn't be a bad move since those guys are ranked around the same as the big LHDs in this draft.
A consensus list is not the teams list though. Maybe we have Catton 5th, or maybe we have him 20th. Early in the draft, the gaps from one spot to the next tend to be bigger, teams often have strong preferences.

Pick the guy you think will be best, because we sure as hell would have looked stupid taking Drysdale over Sanderson knowing we had Sandy ranked higher but thought we should draft for need.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Could also be the other way around. I think they are much closer than that in talent level, Dickinson played for the powerhouse London Knights while Yakemchuk played for the offensively challenged Calgary Hitman, that makes a big difference.
The point is that the difference may be negligible to you but even one spot or two or three at that point of the draft can lead to a significantly different quality of player.

There will always be questions about whether the Sens made the right pick, no matter who it is. What most people in here are saying is that whether it turns out they chose correctly or not, the decision shouldn’t be made based on position. When you present the scenario, you are presenting a best possible outcome where Dickinson and Yakemchuk both pan out really nicely. But in reality sometimes the 7th overall pick is a star and the 8th overall doesn’t make the NHL. So these “small” discrepancies can turn out quite large.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Whoa Whoa whoa ... I'm suggesting filling a need because the player I am suggested they draft is just outside the top 10 & some scouts have him in the top 10 & we are picking at 7th OA. IMO that is not a stretch at all, but a legitimate player who should be in the discussion for that pick. IMO Dickinson & Yakemchuk are not that far apart as some are suggesting, I view them as being much closer in talent & therefore given that I would take the RD because it's a position of weakness on this team & given his age is potentially closer to being NHL ready. If they select Dickinson I'm fine with that, he's a good player, but I don't think he is by far a better player & playing with a much better team has helped his case. Why not fill for need if the two players being suggested are very close in talent level, if they are far apart it's obvious you take the BPA, but not as much if their talent is fairly even.
If we drafted for need in 2020, maybe we don't have Sanderson and instead have Drysdale or Rossi.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
But in reality sometimes the 7th overall pick is a star and the 8th overall doesn’t make the NHL. So these “small” discrepancies can turn out quite large.
You can argue the reverse as well, 7 could be a bum , 10 an all star. We’ve seen several examples of both over the years.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

On whose list?

The only one that matters is the team picking. Besides, close on a list doesn't necessarily mean close in quality. Thompson was close on consensus lists to Harley, Dillinger was close to Guenther and Clarke.

Why would you ever go against your scouts list to fill a need that may not be there by the time the player is ready, he'll, if the need is still there, they the GM isn't really doing their job, you address needs with trades and free agency.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
You can argue the reverse as well, 7 could be a bum , 10 an all star. We’ve seen several examples of both over the years.
Yes agreed but that wasn’t my point. If you make the wrong pick because you misread the player that’s the draft, it happens. If you did it because you wanted a RD even though you suspected the other player was better then that’s just self-inflicted harm because of stupidity.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yes agreed but that wasn’t my point. If you make the wrong pick because you misread the player that’s the draft, it happens. If you did it because you wanted a RD even though you suspected the other player was better then that’s just self-inflicted harm because of stupidity.
Sure, or you believed the RD was the better player, and chose the RD.
You’ll find out in 5-10 years.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If we drafted for need in 2020, maybe we don't have Sanderson and instead have Drysdale or Rossi.
I think you are misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm saying I think these two players are close enough in talent level that they should consider need. It reminds me of the Dobson versus Bouchard discussion, Dobson is much better defensively & while Bouchard is slightly better offensively & depending on the team in a situation where the talent level between the two are close enough ... then why not go for need.

I'm not saying they should draft for need all the time, I'm saying in this situation where the players being discussed are close enough in talent that it's a situation where they might consider need to tip the balance in one direction. And this team is young enough & most of these players should still be around for a while & there will be other drafts. Again if they take Dickinson I'm fine with that he's going to be a good player, I don't have an arguement with that at all, but I also think Yakemchuk is going to be a good player too & they may not be that far apart in the NHL in talent, who knows. I hope I may myself clear. P.S. - I argued for Sanderson over Drysdale & Rossi.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Sure, or you believed the RD was the better player, and chose the RD.
You’ll find out in 5-10 years.
I don’t think we are having the same conversation. If they think Yakemchuk is the BPA, take him. I was just talking about picking players based on position and why it’s a bad idea.

I’ve only seen limited amounts of any of these guys so I don’t have a very informed opinion.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The point is that the difference may be negligible to you but even one spot or two or three at that point of the draft can lead to a significantly different quality of player.

There will always be questions about whether the Sens made the right pick, no matter who it is. What most people in here are saying is that whether it turns out they chose correctly or not, the decision shouldn’t be made based on position. When you present the scenario, you are presenting a best possible outcome where Dickinson and Yakemchuk both pan out really nicely. But in reality sometimes the 7th overall pick is a star and the 8th overall doesn’t make the NHL. So these “small” discrepancies can turn out quite large.
That's not what I'm saying at all. IMO the two players in question are close enough in talent that it's a flip of the coin & given one is a RD a position of weakness in the Sens org I would take the RD. If one player was clearly better than the other I would take the better player regardless of left or right but IMO they are much closer in talent level than how they are ranked.

I'm not saying that the team's philosophy should change to need over BPA, I'm saying when the talent level is close enough than they should consider need & in this case between these two players I think their level is fairly close. I have no arguement with anyone who thinks one is better than the other, I just think they are much closer in talent.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think you need to update your opinion on Yak. I have seen clips where Dickinson looks like a train wreck too. Dickinson generates offense of his athleticism. I don't think he has high level offensive instincts or creativity.
My opinion is watching him live and then watching him throughout the year, it’s not an opinion pulled out of thin air, and it’s not exactly one that goes against the grain. I’d say the same about your opinion of Yak, but I’m not going to ask you to change what you see or project, that’s your evaluation.

You love Yak, that’s great, I definitely don’t with the guys available. I’ll be perfectly fine with him if they choose him, though I think that’s highly unlikely, but would be picking quite a few guys available before

I’m sure Dickinson does look quite bad at times. That doesn’t have much to do with what I personally project from both guys, and what I project really means nothing other than the opinion I give, right or wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Senator Stanley

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That's not what I'm saying at all. IMO the two players in question are close enough in talent that it's a flip of the coin & given one is a RD a position of weakness in the Sens org I would take the RD. If one player was clearly better than the other I would take the better player regardless of left or right but IMO they are much closer in talent level than how they are ranked.

I'm not saying that the team's philosophy should change to need over BPA, I'm saying when the talent level is close enough than they should consider need & in this case between these two players I think their level is fairly close. I have no arguement with anyone who thinks one is better than the other, I just think they are much closer in talent.
If the team sees them as a coin flip then fine, rather than flip a coin, go by position, but it's highly unlikely that the teams seems the guys available by their pick as a coin flip, teams very often have strong opinions on prospects and the difference in one teams opinion vs another is more likely to be differences in what they value from a prospect than an indication of the players being viewed as nearly identical talents

If the team thinks Yakemchuk is the best player available, they should choose him, if they think someone else is better, choose that guy. The gap between on spot and the next tends to be bigger at the top of the draft, it's not the place to compromise.

Reactions: aragorn

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I mentioned that earlier in the thread. Hes a poor man’s version of Sanderson but still a quality prospect .

Not really related to what you just said but he looks substantially larger than Sanderson.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If the team sees them as a coin flip then fine, rather than flip a coin, go by position, but it's highly unlikely that the teams seems the guys available by their pick as a coin flip, teams very often have strong opinions on prospects and the difference in one teams opinion vs another is more likely to be differences in what they value from a prospect than an indication of the players being viewed as nearly identical talents

If the team thinks Yakemchuk is the best player available, they should choose him, if they think someone else is better, choose that guy. The gap between on spot and the next tends to be bigger at the top of the draft, it's not the place to compromise.
Except with this draft it's anybodies guess as to how the order will go, it's that close with half a dozen players maybe more, McKenzie said as much. Nobody is sure how it will go after Celebrini. They have a pretty good idea who the top 15 should be but the order is a different story. I'm sure you have seen some sites like I have that have Dickisnon outisde the top 10, in fact a few of these guys.

Most here would have taken Dobson over Bouchard in their draft yr as Dobson looked to be more of a complete player & much better defensively & he's turned out that way. I argued that I thought Bouchard was better offensively & at the end of this past season he had 12 more pts than Dobson. And Bouchard just did what no other NHL defenceman has ever done in NHL history, he is the first blueliner in the 100-plus years of the league's existence to record 20 or more points in the first two rounds of the playoffs. You could argue that is because Edmonton is a better team than the NYI & I would agree, same for the London Knights being an offensive powerhouse while the Calgary Hitman were not even close. It would be funny if they took Catton though. :laugh:

Saginaw with their 2nd win. Drummondville 2 losses.

4-3

Parekh 1a +3

Michael Misa 2025 player of the game (3 assists)

Tomorrow London vs Moose Jaw
Looks like it's heading towards an OHL showdown.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Except with this draft it's anybodies guess as to how the order will go, it's that close with half a dozen players maybe more, McKenzie said as much. Nobody is sure how it will go after Celebrini. They have a pretty good idea who the top 15 should be but the order is a different story. I'm sure you have seen some sites like I have that have Dickisnon outisde the top 10, in fact a few of these guys.

Most here would have taken Dobson over Bouchard in their draft yr as Dobson looked to be more of a complete player & much better defensively & he's turned out that way. I argued that I thought Bouchard was better offensively & at the end of this past season he had 12 more pts than Dobson. And Bouchard just did what no other NHL defenceman has ever done in NHL history, he is the first blueliner in the 100-plus years of the league's existence to record 20 or more points in the first two rounds of the playoffs. You could argue that is because Edmonton is a better team than the NYI & I would agree, same for the London Knights being an offensive powerhouse while the Calgary Hitman were not even close. It would be funny if they took Catton though. :laugh:

Looks like it's heading towards an OHL showdown.
There's a difference between people/teams having different orders for their ranks and people/teams having players ranked similarly. You mention Dobson and Bouchard, I thought Dobson was a sure fire stud, while I had serious questions about whether Bouchard could translate his offense in the pro game outside of perhaps the pp with his just ok skating, and didn't like his defensive play. They weren't in the same tier for me.

As for their offensive production this year, I imagine their respective situations plays into that, EDM is an offense first team where McDavid has 20 more assists than anybody on NYI has points. Being on the PP with McDavid and Draisaitl is a bit different than Barzal and Nelson.

It's not about consensus lists, it's about who the team thinks is best, you don't take a guy you have reservations on because of a need, that guy may pan out like Bouchard overcame my reservations about his game, but why risk it? I had reservations about Boqvist too, who was ranked above both Dobson and Bouchard, I wouldn't have taken him over Dobson no matter how close they were on consensus lists and I'm pretty sure you had a similar opinion that year. I'm fairly confident you wouldn't be arguing if Boqvist filled a current need better than a Dobson or Bouchard type prospect, we should pick him even if we ranked the other guys higher.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

7. Ottawa Senators: Zayne Parekh, RD, Saginaw Spirit (OHL)​

THW Writer: Jacob Billington

The Ottawa Senators selecting Zayne Parekh with their first pick feels destined to be. The need for a high-end right-shot defenseman in the organization makes it easy to narrow in on this pick. Parekh is a very good puck-mover, and there is hardly any of that on the Senators’ right side. His defending, while having room to improve, isn’t looking like it will be a detriment to the roster, and his high-end to elite offensive upside helps counter that. Looking to the future a bit, once the two spend another season or two developing, Parekh could line up with Jake Sanderson and create one of the top young pairings in the NHL, and their individual play could balance each other very nicely. Some people say the best defense is a strong offense, and that is how you should look at Parekh. While he may not project to be one of the highest scoring defensemen in the league, there is a good chance that he can be a strong two-way defenseman with a good offensive output.

8. Seattle Kraken: Sam Dickinson, LD, London Knights (OHL)​

THW Writer: Matthew Zator

The Seattle Kraken have a pretty solid prospect pool for a building team in only the fourth season of existence. But they don’t really have a sure-fire top-pairing defender in their system. Enter Sam Dickinson. Arguably the best two-way defenseman in this draft class, he could end up being the first defender from the 2024 Draft to suit up in the NHL. Mature beyond his years in the defensive zone, his strengths lie in his hockey IQ and gap control as he rarely gets caught out of position. While he isn’t dynamic offensively like Parekh or Carter Yakemchuk, he has the skating, mobility and smarts to jump up in the play when needed. He will be a minute-muncher for the Kraken in all situations for many seasons to come.

Reactions: Icelevel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad