NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Assuming Levshunov and Silayev are gone I think the two guys I've honed in on the most are Parekh and Buium. Throw in Dickinson and Yakemchuk and there's certainly going to be defensive options on the board.

Helenius is an interesting X factor that I don't know a ton about, but someone already playing pro hockey who might be able to step into a key role quicker might be intriguing. Obviously the team just needs to take BPa/highest upside given the state of the system, but Helenius might be a two birds with one stone type of situation.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I like Yakemchuk will be interesting to see if he jumps up on peoples boards by the time the draft takes place.

Could be a Brett Burns down the road - skates well, plays tough and has very good size + has a great offensive game - Also RD!
And he’s a chuk. To add to Ostapchuk and Tkachuk. Maybe Katchouk sticks around too. All the chuks and chouks

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
Assuming Levshunov and Silayev are gone I think the two guys I've honed in on the most are Parekh and Buium. Throw in Dickinson and Yakemchuk and there's certainly going to be defensive options on the board.

Helenius is an interesting X factor that I don't know a ton about, but someone already playing pro hockey who might be able to step into a key role quicker might be intriguing. Obviously the team just needs to take BPa/highest upside given the state of the system, but Helenius might be a two birds with one stone type of situation.
based on some footage i seen of silayev im not sure i would wanna touch him got feeling he wont tranistion well to the nhl.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Just take the best defensive dman. If that’s buium on the left side take him.

Sanderson
Buium
Kleven

We can probably work with that ;)
Only thing is we have some big size potential coming along on LD in nordberg Wallberg Andonovski,..
They might be good enough to battle for a spot too. So then maybe you want to make an argument for parekh for example.

Sanderson-Zub
Kleven-Parekh
Andonovski-Stanley
Nordberg
Wallberg
Hamara

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex1234

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Seems like a consensus top 6 grouping of Celebrini, Demidov, Silayev, Levshunov, Lindstrom and Dickinson, but with several outliers that some teams have cracking that grouping - Parekh, Yakemchuk, Buium, Helenius, and now Sennecke.

If the Sens hold at 7, maybe they get lucky and a player that's in their top 2-4 gets to them. Once again we're seeing why winning/losing a couple extra games makes a massive difference. A team slotted fifth has a realistic shot at the number 2 player on their board this year. A team slotted seventh could easily see the top six on their list go before them.

I heard Silayev is committed to the Russian league for 2-3 years so he could fall because of that.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I heard Silayev is committed to the Russian league for 2-3 years so he could fall because of that.
through 2025-26

I don't see it as an issue... He just turned 18 in April. All of these D are going to need additional development. Buium looks closer. We should not be looking to rush 24 Draft picks into the NHL. I personally think if you have a chance to draft Silayev you take it. He is likely gone. 5/10 scouts had him 2 or 3.

Reactions: DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Button has the Sens taking Dickinson at 7.

Always good to see what someone with some insight in the game and the prospects has to say.

His lists are his, and they almost always go much differently with some guys he likes/doesn’t like.

Catton outside the top 16 is one of those along with Luchanko and Paraschek in the top 14.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
through 2025-26

I don't see it as an issue... He just turned 18 in April. All of these D are going to need additional development. Buium looks closer. We should not be looking to rush 24 Draft picks into the NHL. I personally think if you have a chance to draft Silayev you take it. He is likely gone. 5/10 scouts had him 2 or 3.

Just with the state of Russia not sure a team takes a top 5 pick for a dude to wait 3 years to see a dude skate on Canadian ice who may end up being blown up by a Ukrainian drone

I’ll say he falls maybe even to Ottawa.

Reactions: Relapsing

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Just with the state of Russia not sure a team takes a top 5 pick for a dude to wait 3 years to see a dude skate on Canadian ice who may end up being blown up by a Ukrainian drone

I’ll say he falls maybe even to Ottawa.
Just last year 2 Russians playing in Russia went about 15 spots higher than they were expected at 6 and 12.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Just last year 2 Russians playing in Russia went about 15 spots higher than they were expected at 6 and 12.

Michkov was ranked between 2-5 on every list and went 7 so in Theory he slipped. But like I said, these guys aren’t under contract for 3 years and I just don’t see teams committing to that with a top 5 pick when they can’t scout, can’t sign and the dude is in Russia - especially with other great options right there like Dickinson and Paresk.

I say he falls out of the top 5

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Scouts have a tall order picking a D or F out of this group. This feels like another draft where the players taken in the 4-12 range outperform guys ahead of them. Not that there are necessarily going to be busts but you don’t want to be the team picking Luke Schenn when there’s Erik Karlsson still on the board.

Reactions: DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Michkov was ranked between 2-5 on every list and went 7 so in Theory he slipped. But like I said, these guys aren’t under contract for 3 years and I just don’t see teams commuting to that when they can’t scout, can’t sign and the dude is in Russia - especially with other great options right there like Dickinson and Paresk.

I say he falls out of the top 5
That had more to do with what was happening with his father I would imagine, as that was extremely shady and scary, and being ranked 5th by consensous NHL scouts and going 7th isn't really slipping.

But was ranked ~25th and went 12th, and Simishev was ranked ~20th and went 6th, both are/were signed in Russia for years

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
SJS will pick Celebrini
Hawks will pick Demidov and hope he becomes the Kane to go with their Bedard/Toews
Ducks will pick Levushnov, they can't afford to not pass up such a good RD prospect
CBJ will take Lindstrom who will be good and show a lot of talent like Brass, Johansson, and PLD have been and end up playing somewhere else lol
Scabs will take Silaev thinking he's the next Chara
Utah will pick Iggy and troll CGY

Ottawa will be in perfect position to draft Parekh, who will become the second coming of EK or pick Yakemchuk who will support our inevitable Tkachuk Ostapchuk Katchouk line in scoring loads of goals.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I don't think they give up anything this year. I do hope they push back. It would great if they could get the NHL to change their stance but I doubt they do. Vegas would push the other way equally hard.

Reactions: Bileur and DrEasy

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

Right now, I see three guys who we have no shot at - Celebrini, Demidov and Levshunov.

Then there's Lindstrom and Silayev, who I'd be surprised to see available at seven, but could drop due to health and Russia-related concerns (contract; difficulty scouting) respectively.

Then there's three guys who are firmly in our range - Dickinson, Parekh and Buium. Hard to see a scenario where all three are off the board for us.

Then there's a longer list of guys who would be surprises to go much earlier than seven, but who are in consideration as early as ~4OA: Yakemchuk, Helenius, Iginla, Sennecke, Helenius and maybe Catton.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
At this point the Sens can draft for need & given there could be five defencemen left (Dickinson LD, Silayev LD, Parekh RD, Yakemchuk RD & Jiricek RD) they could end up with one. IMO they don't need a LD which leaves 3 RD left & I think it comes down to Parekh & Yakemchuk & Ott would do well to draft either one. Both guys can play either the PP or PK although Yakemchuk is slightly bigger while Parekh could be slightly better offensively.

If they decide on a forward it could come down to Catton C/LW or Helenius C/RW & again IMO they could use a RW to eventually replace Giroux. I also think that Calgary will end up with Iginla as Phoenix ended up with Doan. Catton is clearly very skilled while Helenius seems to be more of a complete 200' player already playing in a men's league in Europe. Tough choice & I doubt they could go wrong with either & Ott already has Stutzle C, Norris C & Greig C. Should be interesting.

With their 2nd 1st rd pick could depend on who they pick with their first 1st rd pick, if they take a defenceman first they could take a forward next or visa versa. They might even use their 2nd rd pick or more likely a couple of their 4 4th rd picks to move up. They should have a number of choices for these next two picks, hopefully whoever they pick turns into a player, I like Charlie Elick RD, Maxim Masse RW, Cole Beaudoin C/LW, EJ Emery RD or take a swing for the fences with Dean Letourneau C/LW Arnprior kid.

Reactions: Icelevel

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Yeah, was going to make a joke... Who could we trade our 7th OA pick for? I heard Mitch Marner was available...

Dorion's history in the first round

2016 : Logan Brown 11th OA, gave up the 12th OA and a 3rd to move up. There was not a lot of great choices to make* at that spot but could have landed McAvoy or Chychrun

* Final 2016 Ranking - Matthews goes wire to wire as TSN's top prospect - TSN.ca

2017 : Shane Bowers 28th OA. Can't complain when you draft late in the first, it means good things happened. At least Dorion didn't destroy Murray's team too fast I guess, only Zibanejad was gone

2018 : Brady Tkachuk at 4th OA and Jacob Bernard-Docker at 26th OA. Hard to screw up on a Top-5 pick nowadays but a few teams did after us so I am grateful Dorion did well here. I like JBD but yeah, we could have done a lot better here.

2019 : Lassi Thomson at 19th OA (could have had the 4th OA pick but Matt Duchene's fiasco)

2020 : Tim Stutzle at 3rd OA, Jake Sanderson at 5th OA and Ridly Greig at 28th OA. This draft alone might be a better haul than all the rest of Dorion's drafting lol. It single handily gives us a chance at a future.

2021 : Tyler Boucher at 10th OA. Let's not talk too much about this.

2022 : traded the 7th OA pick (and a 2nd + 3rd) for Alex DeBrincat who is already gone and only have Boston's late 1st to show for it (and a 4th!)

2023 : traded the 12th OA pick and two 2nds) for Jakob Chychrun... pending return...

If you remove the 2020 draft, pretty much all we have to show for the 7 other Dorion drafts first rounds (where we could/should have picked Top-12 in six of these drafts) is Brady Tkachuk and Jacob Bernard-Docker. Let that sink in. Or well, maybe don't if you want to keep your peace.

I mean, that's during a SCORCHED EARTH REBUILD... It's just incredible that we got insulted for criticizing this GM's work.

I thought our drafting had been terrible, but when I go back and look at every draft since 2017, it's not nearly as bad as I thought it was. It is very inconsistent. They hit homeruns with the top 5 picks they kept and arguably got 3 "1st overall" tier talents in Brady, Stutzle, and Sanderson. Those three aren't McDavid, but they certainly have proven to have more value than your typical 3/4/5 overall picks.

Looking at the five year period between 2017-2021, they ended up with Batherson, Formenton, Brady, Pinto, Stutzle, Sanderson, and Greig. Formenton is obviously gone, but that's not their doing. Then in terms of talent that looks like they might be something, or at least contribute in a smaller role on an NHL roster they have JBD, Sogaard, Kleven, Ostapchuk, and Kastelik. There might be someone else, but I don't follow it close enough.

That's far from a homerun pool of talent, but it isn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to look like. Especially keeping in mind the nature of the 2021 draft and especially if the Senators didn't devoted as much resources to scouting that year relative to other teams.

Trading away so many 1st/2nd round picks, and not being able to leverage their cap space to get more during the rebuild is what hurt them just as much as inconsistent drafting in the first two rounds.

I also have a Senspiracy theory that after we missed out on Oettinger, we took Bowers because we knew Sakic really liked him, and we were trying to trade for Duchene, but I will save that ofr another day. Don't want to upset Loach too much today.

Reactions: Loach

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Right now, I see three guys who we have no shot at - Celebrini, Demidov and Levshunov.

Then there's Lindstrom and Silayev, who I'd be surprised to see available at seven, but could drop due to health and Russia-related concerns (contract; difficulty scouting) respectively.

Then there's three guys who are firmly in our range - Dickinson, Parekh and Buium. Hard to see a scenario where all three are off the board for us.

Then there's a longer list of guys who would be surprises to go much earlier than seven, but who are in consideration as early as ~4OA: Yakemchuk, Helenius, Iginla, Sennecke, Helenius and maybe Catton.

I think the Sens will draft one of these 3. I would back any one of the picks ., I absolutely love watching Parekh; I watched a lot of Saginaw and absolutely he has stud offensive D potential but... The other 2 look to be really good 2 way players. Buium is more polished, two way D, very good puck skills, defends with position and IQ and could be ready sooner; also skates very well (edges, quickness) but does not have the straight line speed of a Sanderson or Dickinson. I really like Dickinson's potential as well.. Big, powerful and he can really move. Can contribute offensively and has a BIG shot. It will be about projection vs what they are right now. All 3 are an eyelash from each other and it really comes down to what you like.

Yakemchuk could very well be in the running as well. He has the size and likes to play physical , and has good offensive skils.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I don't think they give up anything this year. I do hope they push back. It would great if they could get the NHL to change their stance but I doubt they do. Vegas would push the other way equally hard.

I think it would shatter the fanbase if they choose to forfeit the pick this year. That means they would expect the pick in 25 and 26 to be higher. And that would have to mean a rebuild of some sort...I can't see the current team finishing quite as low next year if there are no changes. Core is young enough that simply being a few months older should result in a small bump in the standings.

Reactions: Bileur and DrEasy

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

I hope he just keeps delaying it and then the NHL just says "ah screw it, you can keep it, like they did with NJD with the Kovalchuk contract punishment

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad