NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Someone posted here that Staois stated that the Sens aren't going to care where a player is from, so it seems like Russians are on the table.

He was asked by Bruce in his pre-draft availability about drafting Russians and he said something to the effect of they draft the player not the nationality.

Whether they'd actually go there is another story. None of our reporters has asked whether Boyd/Staois was in Florida for the Goldstar camp. If Staois was there, I'd take that as a sign of significant interest. If he wasn't, you can assume Demidov is not their guy. But we don't know, because nobody thought to ask.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
He did say that when asked about drafting Russians specifically. Said Nationality doesn't matter.

It's the smart thing to say. Why play your hand when you could get value by keeping your cards close to your vest? Maybe we got to used to Dorion saying whatever randomly bounced into his head when the camera started rolling and that's why this isn't obvious.

Reactions: DrEasy

h2

Mar 26, 2002
100% agree.

Buium he's our man, if he cant do it maybe Silayev can

Parekh is the only guy in the consensus top 10 I'm not a fan of, however I'll jump on the train if we pick him.

Just not a fan of one dimensional players.

Reactions: Senscore

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It's the smart thing to say. Why play your hand when you could get value by keeping your cards close to your vest? Maybe we got to used to Dorion saying whatever randomly bounced into his head when the camera started rolling and that's why this isn't obvious.
Ya, fair. Just figured the directive from the owner to never do it is likely gone, so maybe they're at least more open to it.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I love all the offense that Parekh has but I don't see it transitioning well to the NHL. Sens need a two way dman IMO

They need a two-way dman and another blue chip forward equally IMO. We'll get one of those this year. Stay tuned a few more hours lol

Reactions: SensFactor

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Ya, fair. Just figured the directive from the owner to never do it is likely gone, so maybe they're at least more open to it.
Don't think there was ever any directive to not draft Russians. They drafted Russians that were playing in North America [Sokolov[, signed some as free agents [Dadonov] and acquired some in trade [Anisimov, Abramov]. The problem was always that they didn't have the resources to scout such a large part of the world.

The lack of viewings won't have changed, especially since you can't even see these prospects in international competition anymore. So it's very likely that nobody on Ottawa's scouting staff will have seen Demidov or Silayev play in person.

Maybe they would draft them anyway, but is that a risk they'd be willing to take? This is a pretty important pick. Seems more prudent to just drop down a few spots and add some extra assets.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Plays like a jitterbug on the ice, needs more composure.
ahhhh... ok. I do not see that, at all, and all his team does is dominate possession when he is on the ice. The results yielded dont seem to indicate even if this was his style its a negative.

Anyway it wont matter they arent getting him.

Reactions: JungleBeat

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Don't think there was ever any directive to not draft Russians. They drafted Russians that were playing in North America [Sokolov[, signed some as free agents [Dadonov] and acquired some in trade [Anisimov, Abramov]. The problem was always that they didn't have the resources to scout such a large part of the world.

The lack of viewings won't have changed, especially since you can't even see these prospects in international competition anymore. So it's very likely that nobody on Ottawa's scouting staff will have seen Demidov or Silayev play in person.

Maybe they would draft them anyway, but is that a risk they'd be willing to take? This is a pretty important pick. Seems more prudent to just drop down a few spots and add some extra assets.
I've long held that assumption as something I thought was confirmed by a media member at some point, but I'll defer to you and take your word for it. Seems like a reasonable explanation and some good examples. We did have a long history of russian busts under Muckler too, so maybe their was a plan to just move off it for a while since scouting was obviously dropping the ball. You'd know better than I would though.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Plays like a jitterbug on the ice, needs more composure.
That really doesn't seem to be the profile on him at all - he sounds like a smaller Jake Sanderson. Bit more offense, less of a shut-down guy, but he shares a lot of qualities.

I don't think he'll be there at #7 but if he is, the Sens will take him I am sure.

Reactions: hockey20000

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
TVA is reporting that the Habs will take Demidov is he’s there.

Silayev will more than likely go #6, Utah has a ton of Russians in the system.

Likely one of Dickinson, Parekh or Sennecke

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
TVA is reporting that the Habs will take Demidov is he’s there.

Silayev will more than likely go #6, Utah has a ton of Russians in the system.

Likely one of Dickinson, Parekh or Sennecke

Good I don’t want him. I see very little offensive upside . 2nd pair shut down guy

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Good I don’t want him. I see very little offensive upside . 2nd pair shut down guy
You can develop an offensive game. He's already pretty good at getting pucks through. He doesn't need to be a huge offensive threat, if he can be a guy who gets 25-40 points while shutting down the other team for 20+ minutes a night, that's huge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad