NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm worried about his skating. The league is getting faster and faster.
I haven't watched enough to have a strong opinion on his skating, but some of the sources I tend to trust have him as having good edge work and mobility, but takes a bit to hit his top speed.

Is his skating really bad enough to be a concern, or is it just not a strength? I'm typically a proponent of having elite skaters on the backend, as much as is possible, but there is nothing wrong with average.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I haven't watched enough to have a strong opinion on his skating, but some of the sources I tend to trust have him as having good edge work and mobility, but takes a bit to hit his top speed.

Is his skating really bad enough to be a concern, or is it just not a strength? I'm typically a proponent of having elite skaters on the backend, as much as is possible, but there is nothing wrong with average.

In my live viewings of him his agility is not very good, IMO. Not surprising for a big kid like him but I think it needs a lot of work. I wouldn't say his skating is bad but I think it's definitely below average for a top 10 type of prospect. He is pretty fast when he hits his stride though.

I personally would not pick him at 7 but I won't be upset if we do. I think eventually he'll end up a good NHL player.

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
EJ Emery is a combine freak, his name was all over the top 25 lists.
If we can come out of day one with Dickinson and Emery…that’d be ok with me. Two guys that could be ready soon and pretty much fix the d issues (optimistically)

Sanderson-Zub
Dickinson-Emery
Kleven-JBD/Guenette/Stanley/xx

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012

I rate his skating better than most on here.

I think he needs to work on short area bursts and agility, but this is not uncommon for a tall player growing into his frame. I think 10 pounds of additional muscle and a skating coach will fix most of his problems. I don't think his issues are even that bad; he got better as the year progressed.

His top end speed is actually quite good. But like other have pointed out, his acceleration needs work.

Yak is the most slept on player in this draft. The narrative is that he is slow, and lacks hockey sense. But in what world could a slow, lumbering defenseman with bad hockey sense still manage to put up significant numbers on offensively challenged team as a draft eligible? The math ain't mathing. Someone has to explain to me, who as actually watched him play, how this could be the case? What magical powers does he have? Dickinson, with all his athleticism and low fat diet, could not achieve such results on a lackluster team. Emery and Elick are big, physical freaks and yet their offensive numbers are very pedestrian(albeit the latter played on poor offensive team, like Yak). For those that like blasts from the past, Cody Ceci was considered a big, fast and dynamic D-man for his size, who played on stacked teams, was never able to put up Yak numbers in the CHL( apologies for the outdated reference).

The concerns about his skating and hockey sense are more prominent here and with hockey bloggers than reputable journalist with access to NHL scouts.

Hockey sense encompasses a lot of factors. Does Yak sometimes choose the difficult over the simple play? Yes, absolutely. But does he possess good offensive instincts and creativity? I would argue yes.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Definitely a concern with where you’re taking him

And in talking with a friend who works in the league, who I was at the Prospects game with, his decision making is the concern for scouts.

If skating and/ or decision making weren’t a legit concern, you’re not getting a single Scout in the NHL have a 6’3, 200lb physical D with a cannon and very good skill outside the top 10, let alone 8/10.

It’s not a concern for some, the 4th and 5th votes show that, it’s clearly a big concern for many.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

I think he needs to work on short area bursts and agility, but this is not uncommon for a tall player growing into his frame. I think 10 pounds of additional muscle and a skating coach will fix most of his problems. I don't think his issues are even that bad; he got better as the year progressed.

His top end speed is actually quite good. But like other have pointed out, his acceleration needs work.

Yak is the most slept on player in this draft. The narrative is that he is slow, and lacks hockey sense. But in what world could a slow, lumbering defenseman with bad hockey sense still manage to put up significant numbers on offensively challenged team as a draft eligible? The math ain't mathing. Someone has to explain to me, who as actually watched him play, how this could be the case? What magical powers does he have? Dickinson, with all his athleticism and low fat diet, could not achieve such results on a lackluster team. Emery and Elick are big, physical freaks and yet their offensive numbers are very pedestrian(albeit the latter played on poor offensive team, like Yak). For those that like blasts from the past, Cody Ceci was considered a big, fast and dynamic D-man for his size who played on stacked teams was never able to put up Yak numbers in the CHL( apologies for the outdated reference).

The concerns about his skating and hockey sense are more prominent here and with hockey bloggers than reputable journalist with access to NHL scouts.

Hockey sense encompasses a lot of factors. Does Yak sometimes choose the difficult over the simple play? Yes, absolutely. But does he possess good offensive instincts and creativity? I would argue yes.
For me. I don’t know if that offense translates. He undoubtedly has great hands for his size and position. He dangles like a forward. But that sort of stuff can get you out of trouble junior. But put you IN trouble in the NHL.

Heard Masse and Lavoie were 2 of the interviews
Big boys

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'm starting to zero in on EJ Emery and Dean Letourneau as guys I want at #25 (assuming the team stays there and doesn't move the pick for a G). These guys both seem to have the upside I like to shoot for in the 1st round.

Cole Beaudoin and Charlie Elick are also guys who would seemingly fill long term holes on this team (good size, tough, good defensive play) but I question the upside. I'd be ok if the Sens picked them but I question the long term upside with both guys. Especially Elick, who possesses all the qualities you want in a shutdown DMan and is mean to boot, but guys who struggle with their puck handling and passing don't typically transition well to the next level. Seems like a mental/hockey IQ thing with him specifically.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
For me. I don’t know if that offense translates. He undoubtedly has great hands for his size and position. He dangles like a forward. But that sort of stuff can get you out of trouble junior. But put you IN trouble in the NHL.

Big boys
I understand the concerns.

There are games where he tries to do too much, but there also games where he doesn't dangle all over the place and still controls and dictates the play.

I have watched a lot of Yak, Buium and Parekh. They all try to do too much, turnover pucks and make bad decisions. I rewatched Buium's NCAA Semi-final game against Boston U. Denver played a trap the whole game. And despite this defensive posture, I though Buium had several episodes of being stripped of puck, having bad positing or making errant passes - the most memorable being a blind backhand pass in the slot that should of been a goal. Parekh, Buium and Yak will all have to alter their respective games in the NHL.

Reactions: Icelevel

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Yak is the most slept on player in this draft. The narrative is that he is slow, and lacks hockey sense. But in what world could a slow, lumbering defenseman with bad hockey sense still manage to put up significant numbers on offensively challenged team as a draft eligible? The math ain't mathing. Someone has to explain to me, who as actually watched him play, how this could be the case? What magical powers does he have? Dickinson, with all his athleticism and low fat diet, could not achieve such results on a lackluster team. Emery and Elick are big, physical freaks and yet their offensive numbers are very pedestrian(albeit the latter played on poor offensive team, like Yak). For those that like blasts from the past, Cody Ceci was considered a big, fast and dynamic D-man for his size who played on stacked teams was never able to put up Yak numbers in the CHL( apologies for the outdated reference).

As a guy who goes to Hitmen games from time to time I can tell you that the offense had very limited options this year, with Yak being the best and most relied on. I think being the number 1 option on offense is one of the reasons his numbers are that high. And he deserved to be the number one option; he's a terrific junior player. But I think it inflated his numbers. Kind of like an expansion team having a guy like Jamie Baker score close to 50 points for the inaugural Sens team. Never was that kind of scorer after. Getting all the opportunity (offensively) for your team can pump the numbers a bit.

I think Yak will struggle initially in the NHL. His skating aside his pace is very junior-esque. Plays develop slowly for him and I don't think that will work in the NHL. I think he'll realize that and be forced to adjust his style of play. That doesn't ALWAYS work out. I think he'll get there but it won't happen overnight.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Worried Emery might not be available at 25 now which is a bummer. Seems like the kind of combine that bumps him up a few spots on teams draft boards.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
HockeyProspect.com released their final draft rankings and their Black Book today (best draft guide out there): 2024 NHL Draft Rankings - HockeyProspect.com

Definitely the best ranking I've seen yet. A little lower on Catton/Helenius than I am but I agree completely with the lower-than-consensus rankings of Levshunov, Yakemchuk and Eiserman + the higher-than-consensus rankings of Buium, Sennecke, Iginla and Luchanko.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think the Hockey Writers rankings ... 2024 NHL Mock Draft: Horn's Mock Draft 3.0 - The Hockey Writers NHL Entry Draft Latest News, Analysis & More is more likely how it could work out, except I think Calgary takes Iginla, if they get the opportunity. I think Parekh & Yakemchuk's defensive weaknesses & offensive potential are close enough & the difference is that Yakemchuk is bigger, tougher & should help make Ott much harder to play against. Ott is already too soft & weak defensively & don't need to repeat this weakness.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I think the Hockey Writers rankings ... 2024 NHL Mock Draft: Horn's Mock Draft 3.0 - The Hockey Writers NHL Entry Draft Latest News, Analysis & More is more likely how it could work out, except I think Calgary takes Iginla, if they get the opportunity. I think Parekh & Yakemchuk's defensive weaknesses & offensive potential are close enough & the difference is that Yakemchuk is bigger, tougher & should help make Ott much harder to play against. Ott is already too soft & weak defensively & don't need to repeat this weakness.
I’m taking yakemchuk over parekh all day every day. But if dickinson is available have to take him even if he’s from Toronto.

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode

Sam Cosentino's latest mock draft.
He has Sens picking Buium at #7.

Of note:
Sennecke goes to Habs at #5.
Eiserman slides out to #10
Parekh slides out to #12

Sens pick Marek Vanacker at #25 of the Brantford Bulldogs.
They go on to say Vanacker was picked by Staois, when he was GM with Hamilton.

Have not heard much of this name but he definitely is coming off a good season in the OHL:

Reactions: DrEasy

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Not that any of these are surprising, but we now know the Sens met with Lindstrom, Catton, Emery, Buium, and Iginla, plus whoever is shown at the 0:13 mark of the video.

Looks like Trevor Connelly

69oJeHg.jpeg

4oU6HNJ.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad