NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He made a distasteful edgy joke that crossed the line when he was younger, but neo-nazi? Give me a ****ing break with that nonsense.

There are more concerning things Connelly has done in the past. He'll be ranked outside of the top 20 on a lot of lists because of his off-ice issues.

if he busts oh well but at least you went for the jugular.

feels like nhl teams will always talk themselves out of a kucherov just to draft a luke schenn. a little cowardly imo.
All teams have late steals. Which means they talked themselves into kucherov.

Also the discussions aren’t “this guy could be kucherov but…”. They pass on a guy because they don’t think he will be that good.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I have specifically heard it’s Staios especially that likes Iginl.

No idea what the scouting staff are thinking.
There's enough to like... doesn't mean we are taking him at 7. I expect there to be a hard choice to make and quality players to pick from. I'd love to see their list going in. Demidov can drop ... same for Silayev.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

Not shooting the messenger here, but it would be kind of surprising if Staois didn't like Iginla.

I remember in 2020 there was talk that the Sens were really high on Jack Quinn, and it was probably true. In the end, they just liked other guys more.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Could that also be a ploy to get a Cal trade to cooperate with what Ott wants, you know, if it were to get out?

Reactions: Icelevel

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I've been saying for awhile that Iginla checks off a lot of boxes of what the Sens scouting staff typically targets.

But I also feel the same about Sennecke, Dickinson and Yakemchuk, so who knows who they'll pick at 7 if they are picking between several of them at that spot.

Reactions: DJB and Icelevel

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
I've been saying for awhile that Iginla checks off a lot of boxes of what the Sens scouting staff typically targets.

But I also feel the same about Sennecke, Dickinson and Yakemchuk, so who knows who they'll pick at 7 if they are picking between several of them at that spot.
It is too bad the team lacks the level of coverage that Habs fans enjoy.

RDS went wild connecting players to team dinners. We got nothing on the Sens front.

I agree. I think the Sens are likely looking at those players.

I don't think Demidov or Silayev will be an option. Lack of team control, an uncertain geopolitical situation and being an unattractive small market contributes to a high level of risk.

But other than Dickinson, Iginla is the least sexy pick(I know people will disagree) in terms on ice performance, discounting pedigree . I was expecting a play driver and I really didn't see that. I went into the U18s thinking he was going to be our guy and was kind of left unimpressed. I have no doubt he will be a good player though.

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
There is something to be said for the unsexy, somewhat safe pick for a team in Ottawa's position. They whiffed on a 10th overall pick in 2021, then traded their picks in 2022 and 2023 and ultimately got very little value out of those transactions. Not to mention that they have to forfeit a 1st round pick in either 2025 or 2026.

That's a six draft period where very little value will have been realized through the draft. A run like that is one that often precedes a team going into a rebuild.

It's going to be very difficult to be faced with this sort of possibility and still want to advocate for a high risk-profile player.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
It is too bad the team lacks the level of coverage that Habs fans enjoy.

RDS went wild connecting players to team dinners. We got nothing on the Sens front.

I agree. I think the Sens are likely looking at those players.

I don't think Demidov or Silayev will be an option. Lack of team control, an uncertain geopolitical situation and being an unattractive small market contribute to a high level of risk.

But other than Dickinson, Iginla is the least sexy pick(I know people will disagree) in terms on ice performance, discounting pedigree . I was expecting a play driver and I really didn't see that. I went into the U18s thinking he was going to be our guy and was kind of left unimpressed. I have no doubt he will be a good player though.

I suspect the Sens didn't do dinners at the combine and will instead bring guys to Ottawa. In most cases, who a prospect went to dinner with was revealed simply by the player being asked in their media session who they went for dinner with (e.g. Catton saying he had dinner with Utah).

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Some players agent wants the nhl to cut the draft to 4 rounds
1718063571824.png

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
There is something to be said for the unsexy, somewhat safe pick for a team in Ottawa's position. They whiffed on a 10th overall pick in 2021, then traded their picks in 2022 and 2023 and ultimately got very little value out of those transactions. Not to mention that they have to forfeit a 1st round pick in either 2025 or 2026.

That's a six draft period where very little value will have been realized through the draft. A run like that is one that often precedes a team going into a rebuild.

It's going to be very difficult to be faced with this sort of possibility and still want to advocate for a high risk-profile player.

On the Russians, I really hope the team at least put themselves in a position to properly ascertain the level of risk.

We have a small footprint in Europe and no scouts in Russia, at least officially. This in a year where we were likely to pick high and where there was going to be at least one - and, after Silayev emerged, two - top Russians. It would be a real shame if we ended passing on a falling Demidov simply because our lack of information added to our risk profile for a certain prospect.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah, I know it's HFBoards but I am seeing a lot of red flags on these D-men outside of Levshunov, who will be long gone by the time we pick.

Really starting to come around to one of Iginla or Catton or Sennecke with our pick and then taking a RD at #25 (Elick or EJ Emery) and maybe another RD at #39 (Badinka).
Levshunov has his own red flags.

EJ Emery is a combine freak, his name was all over the top 25 lists.
I hope the Sens draft him. They may need to move up to do it but it should be close to 25

Reactions: Micklebot

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I hope the Sens draft him. They may need to move up to do it but it should be close to 25
He's been my target for the Boston pick for a while now, though admittedly that has more to do with my unfamiliarity with the other options than anything else.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dickensen and Yakemchuck are funny.

Dickensen has question marks because his size and skating advantage makes it much easier to succeed against kids without doing much difficult things,

while Yakemchuck has question marks because his game is about being able to do a lot of difficult things against kids but without a significant skating advantage.
Dickinson is almost a year younger, certainly 1 hockey season younger. I wonder where Yakemchuk gets drafted if he was born 2 weeks earlier and was eligible for the 2023 draft. Dickinson is almost universally seen as a top 10 pick. Yakemchuk likely goes 3rd round or later.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012

I can't disagree with that. I don't think very many people would be upset at the pick. And from a marketing perspective, it is a slam dunk. Keith and Jarome walking around the building would be very cool. I certainly don't see the red flags and questions about translatability that surround the available D-men.

It would be the shrewd pick all things considered and Staios seems like that kind of guy.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Dickinson is almost a year younger, certainly 1 hockey season younger. I wonder where Yakemchuk gets drafted if he was born 2 weeks earlier and was eligible for the 2023 draft. Dickinson is almost universally seen as a top 10 pick. Yakemchuk likely goes 3rd round or later.
I don't think so. If Elick can be a 1st round pick this year , Yak would certainly have a first round grade last year. Tanner Molendyk was taken 24th overall in 2023 and he ain't nothing special.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
On the Russians, I really hope the team at least put themselves in a position to properly ascertain the level of risk.

We have a small footprint in Europe and no scouts in Russia, at least officially. This in a year where we were likely to pick high and where there was going to be at least one - and, after Silayev emerged, two - top Russians. It would be a real shame if we ended passing on a falling Demidov simply because our lack of information added to our risk profile for a certain prospect.
For years, my assumption has been that the domestic Russians aren't being included on Ottawa's draft boards. They haven't drafted one since 2005 - that's a run of 18 consecutive drafts. Could that happen organically? I guess yes, but it seems unlikely.

In the past I would guess the Sens Euro scouts would see the top Russians in the international tournaments, so they would at least have some sort of feel for them. Nowadays you don't even get to see them at the WJC, U18, Hlinka, 4 Nations Cup, so that makes it even tougher. Not to mention that the quality of the KHL has been dropping for years, the MHL [where Demidov plays] is generally considered to be an extremely low quality league so I think the current environment is one where it's very difficult to calibrate just how good some of these prospects are.

The Sens haven't been put to the test on this front for a very long time. I guess the last time would have been in 2010 with Vladimir Tarasenko. I don't know what would happen if Demidov or Silayev [or both!] were available at 7 but my gut feel is that they would trade down.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Different regime, different GM, different Head Scout, maybe Staois has asked for something more along the lines of what he wants rather than what happened in the past. There is no reason to believe they will draft the same or differently or maybe they have the same guy in mind regardless. We really don't know how this is going to play out. until it does. I hope there is all kinds of debates as to who they should go with by the scouts rather than them all agreeing just like on here. I do like all four of those guys although I still think Calgary ends up with Iginla one way or another, should be an very interesting draft especially since we have two 1st rders & whether we keep both or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
I can't disagree with that. I don't think very many people would be upset at the pick. And from a marketing perspective, it is a slam dunk. Keith and Jarome walking around the building would be very cool. I certainly don't see the red flags and questions about translatability that surround the available D-men.

It would be the shrewd pick all things considered and Staios seems like that kind of guy.
You're definitely getting an NHL player if you pick Tij Iginla, and that's pretty appealing. Whether he has high-end upside I guess is up for debate. He would be an easy pick to sell people on for sure - good player, the son of a beloved NHL star, young for his draft cohort. Even the stat models love him.

One of my concerns is that a left-shot scoring winger is one of the least valuable player archetypes. They often tend to be low-impact and relatively easy to acquire. I know people don't like it when there's a suggestion of drafting for need, but what option do you have when you can't land UFA's and you're a market on every NTC?

People often say you can make a trade down the line to fill a need, but if guys like Carter Yakemchuk and Beckett Sennecke hit their potential then you can't trade for them. Parekh as well, now that I think about it. Right shooting star producers just aren't made available. I think this should be considered to some degree.

Reactions: bicboi64 and DrEasy

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I don't think so. If Elick can be a 1st round pick this year , Yak would certainly have a first round grade last year. Tanner Molendyk was taken 24th overall in 2023 and he ain't nothing special.

I agree. Based on his 2022-23 season, I'm thinking Yakemchuk would've gone between 20-25 in 2023. And whoever got him would be doing cartwheels that they got a homerun prospect.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yakemchuk likely 3rd round or later? Given the many rankings of him being taken in the first round, I doubt he makes it to the 3rd round. He might even be taken in the top 15.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
There's enough to like... doesn't mean we are taking him at 7. I expect there to be a hard choice to make and quality players to pick from. I'd love to see their list going in. Demidov can drop ... same for Silayev.
McCagg said he’s heard from “hockey people” that levshunov and silayav maybe go 2 and 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad