Post-Game Talk: 2024 NHL Draft -- Rate it, Love it or Hate it

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Give your ranking

• A+

Votes: 183 51.4%
  • A

Votes: 136 38.2%
  • B+

Votes: 27 7.6%
  • B

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • C+

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • C

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
There's no way he was there at 26. I think Toronto wanted him, and 3 of the next 4 picks were players who might be centers - any one of those teams may have had Hage ahead of the guy they took (Surin, Beaudoin, Letourneau).

And there's no way that the lack of Quebec hockey picks is on the Habs.
This was an awfully tough draft to do a precision move-up, opinions were so scattered, in the Top 15 and into the next 15.

I think you move up in cases like this to TRY to butterfly-net your guy.

Only a Philly-Minny type deal endures precision.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
This was an awfully tough draft to do a precision move-up, opinions were so scattered, in the Top 15 and into the next 15.

I think you move up in cases like this to TRY to butterfly-net your guy.

Only a Philly-Minny type deal endures precision.

Its also the way scouts/teams look at drafts. Its not so much having your guy, but having your draft list with tiers. They figured that with how opinions of the draft went, they thought they could get a guy they value more highly at 21, but not at 26. I think Hage was the only guy Montreal had in a specific tier still available and would have made another trade if no one in that tier was there.

Minny traded up because Philly didn't want Buium and they didn't want another team to swoop in (because Buium sitting there at 12 is insane).

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
But you can say that it's a bad take to say the difference between Hage and Vanacker, Greentree and Basha is not a 2nd rounder.

The irony.
The market said it is a second rounder not me , you are claiming the market is not right .
Sorry to burst your bubble , but no irony there .
But if you need to win an argument , then I am happy to oblige and state it’s a horrible deal :)

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Gotta love the direction we are going in: big, fast, clean cut personalities..

This why Michkov was passed over last year.. they learned their lesson with Mesar.

Attachments

• 1000006480.jpg
    1000006480.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Haha
Reactions: Jaynki

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The market said it is a second rounder not me , you are claiming the market is not right .
Sorry to burst your bubble , but no irony there .
But if you need to win an argument , then I am happy to oblige and state it’s a horrible deal :)
The market doesn't matter, it's the action that does.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I only can speak to the Demidov and Protz picks since I don't know any of the other picks, still can't believe they got Demidov as I thought for sure it would be a repeat of last summers draft when I really wanted us to get Will Smith and thought he would drop to us. It's going to be a ton of fun watching Demidov next year, likely the highest skilled prospect I have ever seen the Habs draft with my own eyes.

I really thought the Sharks would do like the Habs did with Slaf/Mesar in Celebrini/Eiserman since they are said to be best friends.

Can't believe there wasn't much more trading going on at the draft. I thought for sure McGroarty would be on the move hopefully to us.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I only can speak to the Demidov and Protz picks since I don't know any of the other picks, still can't believe they got Demidov as I thought for sure it would be a repeat of last summers draft when I really wanted us to get Will Smith and thought he would drop to us. It's going to be a ton of fun watching Demidov next year, likely the highest skilled prospect I have ever seen the Habs draft with my own eyes.

I really thought the Sharks would do like the Habs did with Slaf/Mesar in Celebrini/Eiserman since they are said to be best friends.

Can't believe there wasn't much more trading going on at the draft. I thought for sure McGroarty would be on the move hopefully to us.

Sharks getting Celebrini and Dickinson was pretty sweet though.

Reactions: dralaf

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I like pretty much all the picks, especially Demidov, Hage, Sawyer, Merrill, Khanin and the Swedish defenseman. Like that they picked another goalie. Liked that they got a banger dman. Liked that they picked the big guy Thorpe. Hopefully Koivu works out.

GHG!!

Reactions: bcv

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
From ESPN Grades

Montreal Canadiens
Grade: A​

The Canadiens were big winners on Friday night, getting both Ivan Demidov and Michael Hage. They are excellent value, and will be key pieces in the Canadiens' top six. Getting the second-best player in the draft at No. 5, and a top-15 player in the 20s is tidy business.

The sentimentality of the Aatos Koivu pick (he's Saku's son) plays well with the fans, and he has a real shot to be an NHLer. Other selections with value and NHL attributes include Logan Sawyer, Owen Protz and Tyler Thorpe. It wouldn't surprise me if this draft class yielded four regular NHLers, including two difference-makers. Demidov has a chance to be a superstar, and that alone should be very exciting to Habs fans

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
They believe Demidov is a top talent. Hage is pretty much consensus. Are there any other picks this year who aren’t major reaches or off the board selections?

Tough draft to judge. Consensus matters for the top few players, so Demidov and Hage make sense. I’m not sure it’s a good thing to have skipped the second round, but by the third consensus doesn’t really matter, unless the draft cohort is exceptional you’re trying to get the one guy out of 32 picks that makes an impact. If consensus doesn’t help you in 31/32 cases you might as well ignore it and go with your scouting team.

I’m worried so far. Demidov could easily bust, knees or competition, Hage is far from a sure thing, Koivu is a reach, and the other picks are mostly pretty out there. As long as Demidov is healthy and effective the draft will have been good, but it wouldn’t be a surprise if they ended up with no NHLers, either. If they end up having tanked for no one that will be tough.

Riddick412

Crash da net!
Dec 15, 2011
Ottawa
At the end of the day they picked the best players available to them (first round at least). So if it ends up being a bust, it's not like they went off the board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad