SSM Greyhounds 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
the off-season is super long lol.

that said, my kid has chosen to do a lot of summer hockey this year and will be skating 3-4 times a week + once a week dryland so i'll get my fix of arena sights, sounds, and smells all summer this year which makes dad happy.

Reactions: OHL4Life

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
So Miller in the 4th and Allard in the 5th. Honestly, not bad. I would have guessed Miller in the 5th and Allard undrafted.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
dont know why theyd rush him, he wasnt a point a game last year. hes not ready for the ahl.

Fair enough. He was a PPG heading into the world juniors. I have no idea what happened, but he was nowhere near as effective after Christmas/Trade Deadline. Perhaps a case of what Dany Heatley famously referred to as a "diminished role".

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Fair enough. He was a PPG heading into the world juniors. I have no idea what happened, but he was nowhere near as effective after Christmas/Trade Deadline. Perhaps a case of what Dany Heatley famously referred to as a "diminished role".
ya, i thought he was a lock to go pro before the wjc, now i dont know why he would.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
ya, i thought he was a lock to go pro before the wjc, now i dont know why he would.

i've never seen such a massive regression in-season. it led me to wonder if he was injured and played through it but never heard anything to that effect. i still think the potential is there and hope he can crack a pro roster one day.

Reactions: frontsfan67

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Could Tlusty be the possible disconnect? Not drafted out of Soo but came over for 06-07?

I know most wouldn't consider that a Soo pick but maybe it's a stretch to keep the streak going?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Maybe my math is wrong, but wouldn't 2007 - 2024 be 18 in a row?
2005- Chris Lawrence
2006- Jiri Tlusty
2007- Josh Godfrey, Dustin Jeffrey, Jake Muzzin

We can split hairs about Tlusty (a matter of 4 days), but a guy who played for the Greyhounds has been drafted to the NHL in every year of their existence. You can easily confirm that on hockeydb.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
i thought tlusty was drafted out of the czech and didn't join the team till after the season started. i wouldn't include him in being drafted from the hounds. it's different than sandin even who was loaned to us before his nhl draft.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
i thought tlusty was drafted out of the czech and didn't join the team till after the season started. i wouldn't include him in being drafted from the hounds. it's different than sandin even who was loaned to us before his nhl draft.
Correct. He played the entire 2005-06 season for the HC Kladno program. Fisch wants to claim him because the Soo selected him in the 2005 import draft. Which is not how that works. Otherwise Saginaw would get to claim Jamie Oleksiak as a first round pick. (We don’t)

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
This is simply a fun exercise to look back at our former players who have been drafted over the years. I used the criteria of Greyhounds players who were drafted. The Leafs saw fit to send their #13 overall pick to the junior team that had his rights. I remember it was a big get and he was exciting to watch.

It wasn't meant to be a pissing match with fans of other teams. This fun fact has been shared many times in the past. Feel free to use your own amended criteria in your own team's thread.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
This is simply a fun exercise to look back at our former players who have been drafted over the years. I used the criteria of Greyhounds players who were drafted. The Leafs saw fit to send their #13 overall pick to the junior team that had his rights. I remember it was a big get and he was exciting to watch.

It wasn't meant to be a pissing match with fans of other teams. This fun fact has been shared many times in the past. Feel free to use your own amended criteria in your own team's thread.
Its not a pissing match. We are correcting you because you're wrong. You've been corrected by other Soo fans, not just me. Its ok to be wrong. I'm wrong all the time. Don't double down on being wrong. The Soo is a great junior hockey club. If they didn't have someone drafted one year, whatever. It doesn't take away from their legacy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad