GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
If you think that people are overreacting to doing very little, or that they would have been overreacting to some of the contracts that were handed out, just wait until you see how they handle trades where they have to give up picks and prospects. If Berggren gets traded, some people might actually start committing violent crimes through your computer screen.
This shit again. I would rejoice if Berggren is traded for an actual upgrade.

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
Shout out to Ghost, I give a hat tip to him for his service. I know many didn't like him, and I'm not even saying he should have been re-signed (though I wouldn't have minded it), but this guy really played very well down the stretch, when the Wings were fighting tooth and nail for a playoff spot.

Whereas Walman (who some people seem to think was our 2nd best defenseman last season? lmao) was stapled to a buffet seat in the pressbox in the most important games for being a clod, Gostisbehere was doing work. And I always have time for guys who rise up when needed most.

Good luck next season, Ghost.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Enough to do what? Saving the future Brady Cleveland?
To fit under the cap while rolling out a roster of roughly equivalent quality to what we're doing. You said that we had to move Walman because burying him isn't enough cap space. If we bury Holl and Campbell as well, we have enough space to do exactly what we're doing - Gustafsson.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
To fit under the cap while rolling out a roster of roughly equivalent quality to what we're doing. You said that we had to move Walman because burying him isn't enough cap space. If we bury Holl and Campbell as well, we have enough space to do exactly what we're doing - Gustafsson.
Based on the moves we didn’t need to move out any cap. Raymond and seider aren’t getting 10’mill per each

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
And who runs PP2? The trick in all of this is that Gustafsson is not Walman's replacement, he's Ghost's replacement.

I'm of the mind that Ed can handle it, but you know damn well coach isn't going to give that role to a kid.

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

minimal

Apr 12, 2024
The issue for me is that I think this team needed some legit talent/bodies to help out the prospects that are coming up this year. I strongly believe that players like Ed or Kasper or [whoever] would benefit by having someone to lean on in their deployments and I thought that was always supposed to be the plan. I don't like it, but I can handle this year being a step back with more prospects in the lineup. My concern is more: are we putting them in the best possible position to succeed? The last thing I want is for these players to yo-yo between the AHL/NHL, and I'm kinda concerned about the front office's history with these decisions.

To be honest, Pete's posts got me pretty gassed up. Fixing the defense, pursuing a goalie, AND making the top six stronger? Perhaps this is why I'm so disappointed. I recognize there's still time to make trades and such, but there's more urgency now and that makes me concerned.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
And now that we didn’t splash and free agency the position is that we’ll make big trades. And maybe we will. But if we don’t, then people will say that obviously the plan the whole time was to make room for the kids.

I just wish people on this board would stick to their priors sometimes. If you said that Walman was trash and you couldn’t wait to see the back of him at any cost, ok take a victory lap. I get adjusting expectations, but the amount of people on this board who will just say “I think X” then see Yzerman do Y and say “you’re right X never made any sense” is so strange to me.
Likewise, the amount of people who see SY make a move and determine the sky is falling is so strange to me.

People are willing to declare the off-season over and a bust on July 2. Hell, a bunch were willing to say that on July 1 at 12:30 p.m.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
As a time traveller from the year 2036, I can confirm that the Walman trade is still being mentioned.

And this guy was taken with that PICK YZERMAN LOST.

The next superstar.

Everybody will remember him, at the year of Blade Runner 2049.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
And this guy was taken with that PICK YZERMAN LOST.

The next superstar.

Everybody will remember him, at the year of Blade Runner 2049.

I agree that Wallenius is a long shot prospect and I don’t particularly care about losing a 2nd. But the irony here is remarkable. When Yzerman makes a pick like that you gas him up so hard. When it’s not our pick suddenly he’s a non-asset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad