GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I mean, I agree with you. Six years is not an unreasonable amount of time to expect playoffs. Regression this year is the wrong direction. That’s it.
It depends entirely on why there was regression. Massive injuries to core players? Heavy reliance on kids? Heavy reliance on bad veterans?

If the team is reasonably healthy, again at the bottom of the league with regards to qualified rookie games played, and ends up worse? Yeah, there are serious issues with the path.

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
It depends entirely on why there was regression. Massive injuries to core players? Heavy reliance on kids? Heavy reliance on bad veterans?

If the team is reasonably healthy, again at the bottom of the league with regards to qualified rookie games played, and ends up worse? Yeah, there are serious issues with the path.
Yeah just look how bad the Devils got bit last season.

Reactions: Winger98

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada

I don’t think it depends why. We shit on Ottawa, CBJ, Buffalo for consistently being bad for years. We don’t give them the excuse of playing their kids, we say here that those teams are badly managed because they haven’t surrounded their kids with top end talent to allow the team to improve. But now you’re suggesting we give the same excuse of “well we played our kids, it’s okay to be bad” to our team ?

It’s hypocritical and is a terrible argument IMO. There should be consistent improvement year over year and adding your top 10 picks to your roster should improve your record, not worsen it. Unless you are trying to become Buffalo/Ottawa.

Reactions: Henkka

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I don’t think it depends why. We shit on Ottawa, CBJ, Buffalo for consistently being bad for years. We don’t give them the excuse of playing their kids, we say here that those teams are badly managed because they haven’t surrounded their kids with top end talent to allow the team to improve. But now you’re suggesting we give the same excuse of “well we played our kids, it’s okay to be bad” to our team ?

It’s hypocritical and is a terrible argument IMO. There should be consistent improvement year over year and adding your top 10 picks to your roster should improve your record, not worsen it. Unless you are trying to become Buffalo/Ottawa.
It's a continuum, dude.

Buffalo at one extreme and what the Wings did last season (fewest games played by rookies in the entire league) at the other end. Being bad with no rookies, is bad. Being bad with 8 rookies, is bad. Find the balance. IMO we missed it last season.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
As a time traveller from the year 2036, I can confirm that the Walman trade is still being mentioned.

I did that time-travel thing a while ago, a seat opened up for some reason and I knew a guy who got me aboard.. Found out the destination date was February 2015, not what I would have chosen but was stuck with it. I had been told I could not do anything with a future financial benefit, that I was restricted to meeting with only one person who had played no part in my life, and could tell that stranger only one minor thing, TMI evidently having dire consequences, ripples in a pond, butterfly effect, some such nonsense. So, without giving it a lot of thought, which obviously I should have, I arranged to meet Kenny and have a beer. I told him the truth, that I was from the future and could tell him just one small thing, up to him if he believed it or acted on it. What minor thing could I tell him? I told him not to make the Cole trade. Got back to the present and found out we didn't acquire Cole but missed the playoffs, following which Kenny had drafted Senyshen instead of Barzal and Sprong instead of Hintz. Lots of other shit too, which I won't go into.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It wasn't that on last year, and it isn't that next year either.

Do we really have to see another day of these moronic comments, "how this is a lottery team if there's no trade", "we have bottom5 defence", "those goalies are league worst" etc.
A #1D, a #5D, an unproven rookie, and a swarm of #6 at best and at worst AHL level D.

You think we’re making the post season with that? With a 37 yo Cam Talbot backing them?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
We shit on Ottawa, CBJ, Buffalo for consistently being bad for years. We don’t give them the excuse of playing their kids, we say here that those teams are badly managed because they haven’t surrounded their kids with top end talent to allow the team to improve. But now you’re suggesting we give the same excuse of “well we played our kids, it’s okay to be bad” to our team ?

Buffalo has drafted quite a few Stanley Cup winners; they've just won the Cup with other teams.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

eh, I don't know about others but I don't shit on ottawa and buffalo for playing kids. I mean, I'll shit on them if I think they are misusing a kid, but not just for being young teams. I think they are too impatient with GMs, with coaches, they misidentify their problems, and when they spend they often spend poorly.

Maybe their current GMs will turn it around and build good clubs, for the same of their fans I hope so. But until it happens, I expect them to just repeat their mistakes.

With Columbus, I just feel bad for them. When they had Panarin, I thought they were putting it together there. Then he had to run off to NY for reasons and I don't think they recovered.

Reactions: Henkka

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
people keep asking what should have been done differently. Here’s an example. I shipped out Maatta, bought out Holl, and dumped Fabbri for future considerations. You can even attach 3rd round picks to those contracts if you think it’s necessary. Husso out for a 7th.

I signed Tarasenko at 4.75x3 years. Could give him more. Skjei and Roy for exactly what they signed for.

Keep in mind if Yzerman didn’t make the immediately terrible signings of Holl and trade for Petry last year, we wouldn’t have these anchors in the first place. Same with Copp which many of us hated the second it was signed. The cap dump contracts are also his own fault.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 12.12.09 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 12.12.09 PM.png
    476 KB · Views: 1

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Boston added their much needed #1ish C and improved their D while also being a vastly better team already

Ottawas biggest need was a G, and they got the best one available

I'm not sure I trust Lindholm to be a #1 in any sense of the word. We give Larkin crap, but Lindholm outside of one season screams 2C at best, imo. After he was dealt to Vancouver last year, there was talk of them flipping him at the deadline for different help.

Reactions: DamonDRW

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
Gotta wrap up JVR of course. For you guys wanting some hopium.

Nope. Show me a move. I don't need the media trying to gas it up saying "Oh, he's back to the lab again". No, Yzerman, either shit or get off the pot. Take 20 minutes and say "Hey, we did this and signed a bunch of guys we're looking to support GR because we're excited about guys like Kasper, Edvinsson, Berggren, etc. taking that next step for us."

Or have any kind of framework for a deal. Like with Debrincat, we knew he was a target long before the trade was made.

The team is so obviously not complete (4 goalies, 8 D, and 8 or 9 forwards. Like, I get that's not a plan... but give me like 12% of a plan. Barely even a concept I'd accept.

Come out and say "Wow, the market came out a lot hotter for players than I expected. We've seen in the past how badly some of these heat of the moment signings turn out and we want to ensure we aren't just winning free agent day but are aimed at winning hockey games."

Reactions: RedHawkDown

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
there’s always that chance that Steve made offers and players just didn’t want to come here. I’ll never forget Holland saying as much like 15 years ago, “We don’t know why players don’t want to come here”.

• Haha
Reactions: Ricelund

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I like Skjei as a player quite a bit, but I’ll pass on that deal.

Skjei and Roy getting 7 x 7 deals and being under contract til 37 is a tough pill to swallow.

Pesce was the play man. 6 x 5.5, only under contract through age 35, why we weren’t rumored to be all over that I really couldn’t tell you.

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
there’s always that chance that Steve made offers and players just didn’t want to come here. I’ll never forget Holland saying as much like 15 years ago, “We don’t know why players don’t want to come here”.
In that case, it’s also on the GM if it happens every year.

I like Skjei as a player quite a bit, but I’ll pass on that deal.

Skjei and Roy getting 7 x 7 deals and being under contract til 37 is a tough pill to swallow.

Pesce was the play man. 6 x 5.5, only under contract through age 35, why we weren’t rumored to be all over that I really couldn’t tell you.
Once again, Roy got a 5.75x6 deal. Not bad at all.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Nope. Show me a move. I don't need the media trying to gas it up saying "Oh, he's back to the lab again". No, Yzerman, either shit or get off the pot. Take 20 minutes and say "Hey, we did this and signed a bunch of guys we're looking to support GR because we're excited about guys like Kasper, Edvinsson, Berggren, etc. taking that next step for us."

Or have any kind of framework for a deal. Like with Debrincat, we knew he was a target long before the trade was made.

The team is so obviously not complete (4 goalies, 8 D, and 8 or 9 forwards. Like, I get that's not a plan... but give me like 12% of a plan. Barely even a concept I'd accept.

Come out and say "Wow, the market came out a lot hotter for players than I expected. We've seen in the past how badly some of these heat of the moment signings turn out and we want to ensure we aren't just winning free agent day but are aimed at winning hockey games."
Why?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad