Post-Game Talk: 2024 NHL Draft -- Rate it, Love it or Hate it

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Give your ranking

• A+

Votes: 183 51.4%
  • A

Votes: 136 38.2%
  • B+

Votes: 27 7.6%
  • B

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • C+

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • C

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
To me, drafts you can only really base on about 3 rounds.

Judging by rounds 4 thru 7 are almost pointless. Its literally winning the lottery. Even if some pan out, their careers tend to be interchangeable 4th liners or 7th defenseman that get passed around like the bong at a party

100% agree...... and for me it's even worst, Top 60. That's it.
The rest is more about luck and development so I really don't care.

So it's an A+ for me= Demidov and Hage.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Excellent first round, obviously. Koivu is interesting, he's on a nice development curve, there's potential there. Sawyer, Protz, Thorpe and Merrill are all intriguing, we definitely were looking to add some size with these. The other guys I just don't know enough about. An easy ''A''.

Last edited:

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
A. I would have gave A+ with Justin Poirier on 6th round…. I know he is small, but 51 goals, 27 pts in playoff. Instead of the goalie. Anyway. Awesome draft! Demisov and Hage. Im really excited. This is crazy how teams just pick a lot of big players in terms of size

Reactions: Skip Bayless

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
The Demidov and Hage picks were sublime and the Koivu selection seems reasonable as well. I don't know enough about the other prospects to give them a rating but I know how well this scouting group has fared over the last two seasons, so unlike all of the fans who are turning their noses up and something that they know nothing about...I will defer to the scouting staff who has watched these players live and have have earned my respect rather than attempt to criticize from a position of ignorance.

From what I can actually judge (the first 3 picks) I give them an tentative A+

It's a tale of two drafts IMO. First day is pretty darn good. Second day Montreal be drafting just anybody
Same draft, different takes. As someone who doesn't follow junior hockey very much, I don't understand how anyone can follow over 200 players yearly and then have an opinion on most of them. From my post you can all gather that I agree with Estimated Prophet.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Felt like we could have better addressed RD.

Traded out of the 2nd. Could have had any of Marrelli, Lavoie, Mews in the 3rd. Colton Roberts in rounds 4 or 5.

My picks:

1st round:

Ivan Demidov (RW)
Michael Hage (C)

3rd round:
Miguel Marques (RW)
Luca Marrelli (RD)

4th round
Raoul Boilard (C)

5th round
Colton Roberts (RD)
Luke Misa (LW)

6th round
Daniil Ustinkov (LD)

7th round
Jakub Fibigir (LD)
Tomas Galvas (LD)

Last edited:

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
A+.

I don’t give a shit about the later rounds. The chance one of them turns out to be a superstar is slim to none.
Yeah, but . . . why measure later-round picks with a yardstick meant for superstars? Their value isn't about hitting the jackpot; it's about finding those hidden gems that can still make a difference

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I mean...credit where it's due

Screenshot 2024-06-29 at 5.16.21 PM.png

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
To be honest even if every pick after 5 was shit I'd give an A just for Demidov. First legit PPG+ potential elite forward we've drafted in forever.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
My picks:
5- Demidov
21- Hage (I had Greetree before but Hage is perfect)
70- Ziemer
78- Marques
102- Ruohonen
130- Roberts
134- Poirier
166- Avramov
210- Humphreys
224- Zetterberg

It's small I know. But I'm going value.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I’ll be extremely surprised if Poirier ever plays an NHL game tbh
And that's fine. I keep hearing by everybody that after 2...good luck making it. So...while you should ALWAYS think of NHL when you pick....if at worst he's a AHL'er PPG? What's the problem? Why is it a problem to end up with kids that will play for your farm team that will make your team a great team, which means it will surround your prospects in a winninig environment?

Reactions: 1909

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
AS far as giving it a score...with the 1st day...it's impossible to give a B. I mean...come on. But....TODAY, based on what I know (and clearly doesn't), today was overhelming for the picks...despite the good Koivu story, and our inabiity to package the way other teams did to move up and go quality instead of quantity. I don't get sticking with so many picks. And don't tell me it takes 2 to tango...multiple teams tango with picks.

So I give a A. Let just say that just like school...there's a different value to each exam. Yesterday's exam counted for 90%....lollll

P. S. While I didn't do it for my own picks, I like that the Habs went goalie again this year. Actually...I hope you go goalie every year.

Reactions: Rozz

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
A+ for sure. We have make a huge steal with Ivan Demidov. Can't believe that he is not picked before. He have unreal potential. 80-90 pts type of talent, even more.

Michael Hage looks like a very good pick and value. Top 6 potential, highly skilled.

I really like Koivu and Protz pick aswell. Logan Sawyer is intriguing too.

Fantastic draft by Habs.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
And that's fine. I keep hearing by everybody that after 2...good luck making it. So...while you should ALWAYS think of NHL when you pick....if at worst he's a AHL'er PPG? What's the problem? Why is it a problem to end up with kids that will play for your farm team that will make your team a great team, which means it will surround your prospects in a winninig environment?

Honestly, only after the draft those picks will matters. They were barely talked about before the draft and unless they do well, they won't be talked about in the future.

We still talk about the bad pick KK was 6 years after the fact....but no one has talked or will ever talk about picking Houde instead Sharangovich in the 5th round or that we picked Fairbrother instead of Macelli.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Unless I'm mistaken (or EP is), this must be first time in decades that the Habs did not draft someone under six feet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad