Post-Game Talk: 2024 NHL Draft -- Rate it, Love it or Hate it

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Give your ranking

• A+

Votes: 183 51.4%
  • A

Votes: 136 38.2%
  • B+

Votes: 27 7.6%
  • B

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • C+

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • C

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
If we were to rank each round equally, then the late head-scratchers take some of the sheen off the draft. But if picks are weighted in relation to the likelihood of success at each round, then the first and second round strategy takes on more importance, which for me maps to A. Not just the no-brainer at 5, but the decision to sacrifice a late 2nd rounder in the hopes of getting a faller at 21 and seeing it pay off in spades.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
f***ing love it

I should clarify I didn't like some of the habs picks because they're not the sexy picks which easily gain morr value (mostly) after being drafted so the Habs can use the inflated value to acquire other pieces in the future.

Habs goy DemiGod and Hage seems like a really nice addition.

They added some forwards with size, which it seemed like they might be afraid to do just like Timmins and them, but this draft everyone seemed to have size.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
First round is a winner and I love the Koivu pick. I also like the Thorpe pick. He's grown 8 inches and 50 pounds in two years and he could surprise. Yes, he's an overager but a really young one as he'll be 19 in August.

I don't know enough about the rest...

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I'll label this a very nice draft. Anything pass the 3rd round is always a crap shot anyway.

Habs again went with players who's rights will be retained a bit longer then 2 years.
Also, focused on players who had great development curve in the 2nd half of the season.

Somewhat amusing that despite taking no Q players, they still ended up with two who can speak French (Hage very fluently and Logan Sawyer still have pretty good French from his younger days but is clearly more comfortable in English now).

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Bobrov and Lapointe are well spoken, I enjoyed listening to their interview. Both say that Demidov is by far the biggest steal of the draft (!!!). Also they’re excited with Hage’s upside and say that they tried to trade up higher than 21 for him but couldn’t but were lucky that he fell to them. With regard to Koivu, seems like they chose the player first and the name was an added benefit, needs to bulk up but has good potential. What I found interesting was they feel Sawyer has a similar upside to Hage. Sawyer is also a Toronto kid that played against Hage growing up but was also playing lacrosse up until 1.5 years ago and so I am guessing it could be a reason why he had less exposure.

I am quite stoked honestly just based on these 4 picks. If Demidov pans out as Bobrov says, that alone, makes this an A+ draft - unlike any other that we’ve had in the last 2+ decades.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Best draft from Hughes so far, everybody is happy, if they're not, they don't know nothing about hockey.

Nah 2022 was pretty legit besides the mesar pick. Slaf, Beck, Hutson, Engstrom. Demidov fell in their lap so it didn't take much work for them. But they actively had to decide to pick Slaf over the other players. Now it looks obvious but not back then

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
To me, drafts you can only really base on about 3 rounds.

Judging by rounds 4 thru 7 are almost pointless. Its literally winning the lottery. Even if some pan out, their careers tend to be interchangeable 4th liners or 7th defenseman that get passed around like the bong at a party
You can’t help but think some are actually treating the first 5 rounds as equal the way some people go on lol.

Reactions: Apoplectic Habs Fan

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I give it an A+ because of what we got on day one and I personally like the Koivu and Sawyer picks. I was high on both.

If this was a Bergevin/Timmins draft, I would lament these later picks of people I don't know.. but I give these guys a huge benefit of the doubt with how the WTF picks last year look like very promising hits just a year later.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
I give it an A+ because of what we got on day one and I personally like the Koivu and Sawyer picks. I was high on both.

If this was a Bergevin/Timmins draft, I would lament these later picks of people I don't know.. but I give these guys a huge benefit of the doubt with how the WTF picks last year look like very promising hits just a year later.
Good point, Konyushkov, Volokhin and Eriksson were pretty much unknown to most. Whole different story now.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Gave it a B+ thanks to Demidov and Hage in the first round. I don't hate the other picks, I just don't know much about them. I sometimes wish that the Habs would swing for the fences with more of their picks. A lot of the guys after the first round sound like potential depth guys/role players. I realize that most of the time that's what your getting if anything at all in those rounds, but I feel like they always seem to go for safer picks instead of boom or bust types with high ceilings (Poirier for example).

At the end of the day I trust the Habs scouting staff and management to make the right decisions. There have been quite a few "nobodies" (guys that were an after thought for me) that were drafted in the past few drafts that have turned out to have some good potential.

Jul 6, 2016
First three picks are great. The rest are enigmas. They should had taken a chance with Poirier at least.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
I love how people say we "missed" on these "high skilled" players that dropped like a ton of bricks and every team in the NHL passed on them multiple times. Mind you this is because these "high skill" players are the only ones they've even heard of in these rounds xD

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
We got Demidov and Hage. Two players I was hoping the Habs would take. Both of these players could help transform the future of the future of the franchise, particularly Demidov.

As for the rest, other than Koivu, I'm not familiar with. And I will give them the benefit of the doubt for the rest of the picks because in 2022 and 2023, I didn't know much about the later picks and when I got to see what they drafted, I ended up liking the picks.

I do like the fact they added size.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
We got Demidov and Hage. Two players I was hoping the Habs would take. Both of these players could help transform the future of the future of the franchise, particularly Demidov.

As for the rest, other than Koivu, I'm not familiar with. And I will give them the benefit of the doubt for the rest of the picks because in 2022 and 2023, I didn't know much about the later picks and when I got to see what they drafted, I ended up liking the picks.

I do like the fact they added size.
Spoken like a person with sense...refreshing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad