2024 NHL Draft Picks 14, 42, 43, 76, 108, 109, 161, 172, 204 (Draft on 6/28 and 6/29)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
He does well making plays in traffic and is wise enough to get to the net. The feet are concerning.

Spent the other night on Yakemchuk and Edmonton got paddled. I didn’t make any notes other than “oh… no” for one sequence of his. :laugh: Need to watch more.
Yakemchuk potted 2 last night so up to 23 on the year. He needs someone to rein in his focus a bit as he goes a bit too toolsy. Lots and lots to like, I think you'll see him him shoot up to Top 5 contention as he should go off in the Memorial Cup

Reactions: Chainshot

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I am 100% on the trade the pick train.
Make the pick, trade some prospects. Need futures to be just that, future. Thin out the group getting set to graduate to the show.

I know fans are acting like the franchise is on its death bed, but we're still going to exist and need good youth arriving on ELC's in 2-3 years.

And ONG beat me to it, adding elite RHD into any team's pipeline is tough to pass up, especially ours. Adding Lev to this core somehow is drool-worthy.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Well that's the height of stupidity as this draft lines up with exactly what the Sabres system is missing in top pairing RHD. You move the superfluous small wingers for needed parts but that top pick is untouchable
Yeah because you are getting a #1 or #2 D at 7-13. Maybe if we are top 5. Dahlin and Power are your 1/2 going forward. We have other solid D in Johnson Samuelsson Clifton. Yes we need D prospects but a simple prospect swap solves that. How long till the drafted D is making an impact for us 2-3 years? The height of stupidity is endlessly building a prospect pool and not using them to improve weaknesses. If you want to trade Rosen Kulich etc for a good player and keep the pick that's fine too, but that pick right now is worth more.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Make the pick, trade some prospects. Need futures to be just that, future. Thin out the group getting set to graduate to the show.

I know fans are acting like the franchise is on its death bed, but we're still going to exist and need good youth arriving on ELC's in 2-3 years.

And ONG beat me to it, adding elite RHD into any team's pipeline is tough to pass up, especially ours. Adding Lev to this core somehow is drool-worthy.
Limited viewing but he is tantalizing. Big weekend vs the Wolverines.

Reactions: HOOats

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
He almost definitely won't be "elite" but he doesn't need to be. I honestly think you can count the number of actual elite RHD on one hand, they are the most rare thing in hockey.
(Just a side point, not really a response to your post)

Reactions: Chainshot

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
He almost definitely won't be "elite" but he doesn't need to be. I honestly think you can count the number of actual elite RHD on one hand, they are the most rare thing in hockey.
(Just a side point, not really a response to your post)
For sure, I was trying to convey exactly that rarity. Elite meaning potential to be a top 10 RHD in the league. I doubt we pick high enough to get a shot at him though.

Levshunov's unprecedented production (well, Buium) with his build/temperament package is as good a look at an elite RHD as we've seen in a couple drafts imo. And if he misses the moon and settles amongst the stars as he's likely to, that's still a near impossible player to acquire once actualized.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
For sure, I was trying to convey exactly that rarity. Elite meaning potential to be a top 10 RHD in the league. I doubt we pick high enough to get a shot at him though.

Levshunov's unprecedented production (well, Buium) with his build/temperament package is as good a look at an elite RHD as we've seen in a couple drafts imo. And if he misses the moon and settles amongst the stars as he's likely to, that's still a near impossible player to acquire once actualized.
Yeah there’s definitely one kid who has the potential to be elite. If we win one of those lottery picks, then we can talk about having the option of a potentially elite RHD, but I think it’s just the one.

If we’re 7th or 8th, a lottery win isn’t out of the question. I don’t dare to hope though.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There are a lot of potential defensemen in and near the top half of the first round rankings and they are of all different stripes - mobile PMD's, offensemen, giants, 2-way guys and a bit of a split on left and right shot.

But there is no guarantee of a star or even a solid player coming out of the 6-10 range that they seem locked back into. It's very hit and miss, with some of the hits being deemed gambles at the time by pundits (Seider) when looking back over the last 15 or so drafts. There is no guarantee that they can pick someone who continues to develop and pushes into stardom.

That said, teams making moves up into the top 10 aren't all that common in the run up to the draft:

DeBrincat for 7OA (Kevin Korchinski), a 2nd and a third on the draft floor in 2022
OEL/Garland for 9OA (Dylan Guenther), a 2nd, a 7th, and some roster filler in 2021
Stepan/Raanta for 7OA (Lias Andersson) and DeAngelo in 2017
Bobby Ryan for 10OA (Nick Ritchie), Jakob Silfverberg, Stefan Noesen in 2014
Cory Schneider for 9OA (Bo Horvat) in 2013

That's all of the ones that were done in that range with the draft order set. There were a few others where teams had moved picks in deals earlier and finished poorly, leaving another team drafting in the top 10, but that's it. That's the list. 5 times in 100 picks and can any of the teams who made the deal for the player look back on that and think it was a win? Maybe Arizona with Stepan and Raanta because DeAngelo wore out his welcome in NY and the Lias Andersson did not develop. Maybe the Ryan deal but the Sens also gave up a solid 2-way player in Silfverberg and a good depth player in Noesen for 2 20-goal years out of the 7 Ryan played in Ottawa. There is no guarantee of success if they do it.

While it sounds cool to think they can trade back out of the 5-10 range, history is not on their side. And no one is moving up into those spots either - teams sit tight and don't shuffle to get a specific faller. This isn't the NFL, it does not work the same way.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Unless the team gets a package that involves a ready to impact NHL player that is 25-28 years old that would immediately slide into a 1st line spot, or is a 1st pairing pick, I'm using the pick to do everything to get the most dynamic offensive defenseman from this year's draft that would be around where we pick. We have decent skating on the backend, but I feel we really need that game breaking skating guy on the backend. Also, we really need to start filling that next wave of defenseman that is right behind Ry-Johnson with our depth for the pipeline. Would be nice to get a blue-chip sort of guy in that group.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Unless the team gets a package that involves a ready to impact NHL player that is 25-28 years old that would immediately slide into a 1st line spot, or is a 1st pairing pick, I'm using the pick to do everything to get the most dynamic offensive defenseman from this year's draft that would be around where we pick. We have decent skating on the backend, but I feel we really need that game breaking skating guy on the backend. Also, we really need to start filling that next wave of defenseman that is right behind Ry-Johnson with our depth for the pipeline. Would be nice to get a blue-chip sort of guy in that group.

You don't think Dahlin is that "game breaking skating guy" on defense? I mean, I get that he hasn't been that the first half of this year........but he was exactly that guy last year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

So Parekh. I can't see Kiviharju having an end to his season to justify being around 8-12 so I wouldn't say him but Parekh is the offenseman you mentioned.

Reactions: Fearnot

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
You don't think Dahlin is that "game breaking skating guy" on defense? I mean, I get that he hasn't been that the first half of this year........but he was exactly that guy last year.
He's close, but I don't think he is. He's still got potential to be a top defenseman in the league overall, but I don't feel he brings that dynamic explosive element that pressures teams to back off that enhances the team's transition game. I feel our backend is missing that piece, especially with Adams seemingly building a finesse skilled team. We have pieces that could fill roles and bring a good support game to the 5 on 5, but I don't think anybody has the skating to add that danger to the game offensively.

Reactions: hizzoner

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Well that's the height of stupidity as this draft lines up with exactly what the Sabres system is missing in top pairing RHD. You move the superfluous small wingers for needed parts but that top pick is untouchable

Yeah, we have a prospect pool full of moderate-high ceiling skilled wingers. We could definitely start floating some of those guys to address current needs while also patching holes in our prospect pool a the draft.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
So if the season ended today the Sabres are currently sitting in the 6th slot. Looking at potential targets it's best to eliminate the obvious ones that won't be available, fortunately this year you remove Celebrini and there's 8 or 9 contenders for the #2 slot.

My thoughts are after Celebrini the following forwards will go in this order:

Lindstrom big, mean 1C potential someone will grab him early
Demidov magical with the puck but not selfish. Rumor is he's being jerked around for refusing to sign an extension, current contract expires 4/30/25
Helenius all he does is be the 1C on the top LIGA team as a 17yo
Catton is your do everything C

LHD

Silayev I have him going 2 or 3 at most 4 if a C hungry team jumps up in the draft
Dickinson gets overlooked as other D are throwing up stupid numbers
Buium made USA WJC team at 17yo and is playing big minutes on one of the top NCAA clubs

RHD

Levshunov big minutes at MSU. Just jumping levels in development and body wise could be MSU middle linebacker. Like Silayev he's going between 2 and 4
Yakemchuk one of my favorites as he'll lay a body out, jump someone for a perceived infraction and has a booming shot 23g
Parekh offense, offense, offense defense oftimes negligible. Lateral movement and walking the line is fantastic but lacks that top gear

There's too much talent and potential top pairing D in this draft to put the pick on the table unless someone offers up that unicorn ie under 24yo RHD. Now if Jiricek has completely soured on the Jackets he'd be worth it

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Greentree toe picks at the blueline, flubs a shot, then goes to the net and finishes on a rebound of his own shot. That shift had it all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doug Prishpreed
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad