2024 NHL Draft Picks 14, 42, 43, 76, 108, 109, 161, 172, 204 (Draft on 6/28 and 6/29)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So if the season ended today the Sabres are currently sitting in the 6th slot. Looking at potential targets it's best to eliminate the obvious ones that won't be available, fortunately this year you remove Celebrini and there's 8 or 9 contenders for the #2 slot.

My thoughts are after Celebrini the following forwards will go in this order:

Lindstrom big, mean 1C potential someone will grab him early
Demidov magical with the puck but not selfish. Rumor is he's being jerked around for refusing to sign an extension, current contract expires 4/30/25
Helenius all he does is be the 1C on the top LIGA team as a 17yo
Catton is your do everything C

LHD

Silayev I have him going 2 or 3 at most 4 if a C hungry team jumps up in the draft
Dickinson gets overlooked as other D are throwing up stupid numbers
Buium made USA WJC team at 17yo and is playing big minutes on one of the top NCAA clubs

RHD

Levshunov big minutes at MSU. Just jumping levels in development and body wise could be MSU middle linebacker. Like Silayev he's going between 2 and 4
Yakemchuk one of my favorites as he'll lay a body out, jump someone for a perceived infraction and has a booming shot 23g
Parekh offense, offense, offense defense oftimes negligible. Lateral movement and walking the line is fantastic but lacks that top gear

There's too much talent and potential top pairing D in this draft to put the pick on the table unless someone offers up that unicorn ie under 24yo RHD. Now if Jiricek has completely soured on the Jackets he'd be worth it

Dickinson also just had the Top Prospects Game skills performance and his times skating with and without the puck, both forward and reverse, were among the best in the group. At 6'3", there is a lot to like there even if he is a LD.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Dickinson also just had the Top Prospects Game skills performance and his times skating with and without the puck, both forward and reverse, were among the best in the group. At 6'3", there is a lot to like there even if he is a LD.
In a typical year he'd be the first or 2nd D off the board but he might be the 4th or 5th this year. I have Silayev and Levshunov solidly ahead of him. Yakemchuk for potential and handedness gets the edge and then you look at Buium and can't help but be impressed

Reactions: elchud

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Celebrini goes first that's pretty set.

I'm figuring that 2/3 will be Lindstrom and Levshunov.

Then 4/5 is Silayev and Demidov under normal circumstances but this still isn't a normal circumstance.

That leaves 6 to be personal choice. I love Catton's game and see him as a 2C when he arrives that pulls his team forward with a 200' game. Dickinson I liked last year, some interesting things there. Parekh is entertaining but there is a lot to work on with his play around his own zone but he's got that Mintyukov/Sergachev sort of entertainment value for me. I lean Catton at the moment but that's probably due to more views.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
In a typical year he'd be the first or 2nd D off the board but he might be the 4th or 5th this year. I have Silayev and Levshunov solidly ahead of him. Yakemchuk for potential and handedness gets the edge and then you look at Buium and can't help but be impressed

It reminds me of 2013 a bit - so many good d-men and all sorts of different types.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003

Then 4/5 is Silayev and Demidov under normal circumstances but this still isn't a normal circumstance.

That leaves 6 to be personal choice. I love Catton's game and see him as a 2C when he arrives that pulls his team forward with a 200' game. Dickinson I liked last year, some interesting things there. Parekh is entertaining but there is a lot to work on with his play around his own zone but he's got that Mintyukov/Sergachev sort of entertainment value for me. I lean Catton at the moment but that's probably due to more views.
Until the draft order is set you just can't really speculate when so many are just personal preference. A team like Anaheim would probably go Levshunov to replace Drysdale while Columbus would probably go Silayev as they have Jiricek in the pipeline.

Now I like Catton but if they're going forward give me Helenius. He's bigger and a better skater

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Until the draft order is set you just can't really speculate when so many are just personal preference. A team like Anaheim would probably go Levshunov to replace Drysdale while Columbus would probably go Silayev as they have Jiricek in the pipeline.

Now I like Catton but if they're going forward give me Helenius. He's bigger and a better skater

Anaheim is so chock full of defensive prospects though - if any team in that top five right now seems like a great fit for Demidov, that's them.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Anaheim is so chock full of defensive prospects though - if any team in that top five right now seems like a great fit for Demidov, that's them.
They are missing that top flight RHD which is why I used them as an example where Levshunov would be preferred over Silayev. They're an interesting case as with Leo, McTavish and Zegras the Lindholm, Helenius and Catton aren't too appealing. They'd be a drop back target if they wanted someone like Iginla

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

You’re going to be saying 4/5 is Silayev and Catton in a month, and not personal preference. I know we’ve already noted this but Bob’s list is behind on Catton and will catch up by April…Unless this draft is just bonkers-level good. Anyway, Dickinson at 6 is something to think about.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You’re going to be saying 4/5 is Silayev and Catton in a month, and not personal preference. I know we’ve already noted this but Bob’s list is behind on Catton and will catch up by April…Unless this draft is just bonkers-level good. Anyway, Dickinson at 6 is something to think about.

Probably. Catton will get people talking about him being too small but he's 5'11" as of the start of the season. I'm most curious what his combine measurements will be like - if he is measured at 6', it takes away some of the complaints.

@Old Navy Goat my concern with Helenius is how some (many?) of the Finn top prospects have had issues translating that draft promise into production of late. Lundell and Maccelli are the only two I can think of who have broken out while guys like Thomson and Jarventie and Heinola haven't hit. Hell, even Lambert and Kemell have floundered a bit. I'm just leery of them right now.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Probably. Catton will get people talking about him being too small but he's 5'11" as of the start of the season. I'm most curious what his combine measurements will be like - if he is measured at 6', it takes away some of the complaints.

@Old Navy Goat my concern with Helenius is how some (many?) of the Finn top prospects have had issues translating that draft promise into production of late. Lundell and Maccelli are the only two I can think of who have broken out while guys like Thomson and Jarventie and Heinola haven't hit. Hell, even Lambert and Kemell have floundered a bit. I'm just leery of them right now.
Catton has an inch on Cooley and has a lot of the same traits. But to your point, Cooley did go lower than I had him and that may happen again. 5’11” is where teams stop getting worried as much though.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Why do I feel spending our first round pick on a competent no nonsense coach might be a good idea!

Reactions: MeenOlViks

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Here's some interesting takes, definitely deviates from the usual lists

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Here's some interesting takes, definitely deviates from the usual lists

Based just on this list, Silayev and Brunicke would be my first two picks. I’m also a bit surprised at Mustard being that highly rated.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Dickenson sounds like the exact player this team is missing..

Not sure he will be there when Buffalo drafts

Who would be the best NHL comparable? Tanev?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad