GDT: 2024 NHL Draft - (1st Round - 6/28 at 7PM ET and Remainder of Draft - 6/29 at 11:30AM ET)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
By the way, this org has never valued draft picks. I would not be shocked if they’re acquiring picks to trade for players to tinker around they’re FA chasing they’re dying to do

They suck at drafting. Always have.

Not to piss people off, but spare me the initial hype of some of the guys taken in the last say decade.

Its TK, Sanheim, and Couturier as good consistent pieces. It ends there.

The scouting department is f***ing trash.

I'll stfu now, good night boys.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
1st
2nd
3rd
No 4th

Getting 3 guys in first 3 rounds is a failure

I remember being told we would have so many picks because we would do so many sellings at the deadline and before the draft. And that I'm total scum for doubting it. I doubted it and this is still way worse than feared. I was way too positive

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
If you want to stick to a money analogy, imagine you are getting paid back anywhere from $100 to $200 dollars 2 years from now. But inflation is 50% a year.

It's a bad deal, man.
and again, that's a bad analogy when the draft pick value is not guaranteed to increasingly get worse.

look, i get it. we're all impatient around here. we all want something done now and we're all underwhelmed with the first round. to be completely honest, i don't really give that much of a shit about taking Luchenko over Buium when the correct move would've been to say yes to what Waddell asked for pick #4. but a potential increase in value is still a potential increase in value.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Sweet merciful Christ, no. The 2026 20th overall pick is not in the same universe as 32 on the clock. You usually get about a round value discount per year of deferral.

The same thing happens every year. There are always a few guys. I'd take Brindley last year over half this 1st round. Ditto Basha or Freij or Stiga. It's possible a magical player is there, but it's doubtful. It could even be worse. Or they could take the bad option. On the talent issue and the draft philosophy issue, I think they've doubly failed. The latter is not even debatable.

The funniest possible outcome is June 2025 rolls around and.......Flahr prefers 2026.

Woke up thinking we had a chance at Demidov or Catton. Going to sleep with Luchanko.

Honey Boo Boo, this is why I can't watch prospects all year. I watched in like October and June, and I'm still so so mad. Imagine watching all year religiously?

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
and again, that's a bad analogy when the draft pick value is not guaranteed to increasingly get worse.

look, i get it. we're all impatient around here. we all want something done now and we're all underwhelmed with the first round. to be completely honest, i don't really give that much of a shit about taking Luchenko over Buium when the correct move would've been to say yes to what Waddell asked for pick #4. but a potential increase in value is still a potential increase in value.
Just because you don't like the analogy doesn't mean it's bad.

Agree to disagree.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Brent Flahr who has built his draft rep based on...

Only drafting one star player in FIFTEEN years of being in charge of NHL drafts. (albeit Michkov will be #2)
3 years with Ducks as a scout where they drafted 1 legit NHL player and it was not from his area.
6 years with Florida as a scout where they missed on 5/7 first rounders and EVERY one of the 16 players they drafted from his area bar Jay Bouwmeester failed to become NHLers!

And that one star was Kaprizov who should have gone first freaking round without hindsight and they passed on for Ales Stezka (yeh, who?) and could have missed on as a result.

Like... where does this "reputation" come from.

Florida sucked in the draft when he was with them. Anaheim sucked in the draft when he was with them. Minnesota were bang average in the draft when he was with them...

And somehow he's evidently heading for Hanrahan status as a barnacle which cannot be peeled off

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Tired of this narrative. It comes from a Briere PC and the idiotic Flyer scouts.

This draft is weaker at the top with good depth, ask Apple. And excellent D prospects in first round, better than most.

They do not know that next year's draft (or later) will actually be better. Theyve made this assessment before and they have been dead wrong.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
i'm starting to get now why i enjoy other sports these days over anything here..like AFL, Cricket etc..seems there is less disappointing me to be had lol(except you New Zealand Cricket!!!)

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
That was a roller coaster of a day.

The Flyers are trying to move up for Demidov!

Demidov could fall to 7!

Demidov didn’t fall, but Buium is still there!

He’s still there and the Flyers are up next!

Trade! It’s taking a while. Must be a big one involving players!

Flyers get Joan Jett and a 3rd

I mean, if it was anyone but this team I'd probably be much happier.

They tried to get what they wanted, couldn't do so and then said f*** it I'm out.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Are people really not understanding that the problem with the trade out isn't that they did so? It's that they didn't get enough. Sports draft pick values decay as you go into the future. That is how every sport works.

If they did this for the same pick with protections, but also got something else to make up the value they lost, it's completely fine. Pick, player, whatever.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Honey Boo Boo, this is why I can't watch prospects all year. I watched in like October and June, and I'm still so so mad. Imagine watching all year religiously?
gordon-ramsay-yelling-idiot-sandwich-jo15uxu8kywrxmm6.gif

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think that having Michkov and putting him with slop is more painful than just having Ryan Leonard and slop. Because I want to watch Michkov, but I want to cry at the same time. I could totally check out in the latter scenario.

And somehow he's evidently heading for Hanrahan status as a barnacle which cannot be peeled off

They are over the moon with his work. This guy struck gold burrowing his way in with Fletcher.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Are people really not understanding that the problem with the trade out isn't that they did so? It's that they didn't get enough. Sports draft pick values decay as you go into the future. That is how every sport works.

If they did this for the same pick with protections, but also got something else to make up the value they lost, it's completely fine.

I get that. It was a bad net return, but it's some indication of a direction... even if we can't trust them to make use of it in the future.

I'm very unhappy and yet sorta happy. It sucks being a fan of this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad