GDT: 2024 MLB draft

Ben Grimm

Irate Magician
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Wow! I realize signing bonus demands are a factor in draft order. I like Burns but didn't think he'd go #2.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Guards fan here who wanted Condon because big boom, but can't deny that Bazzana feels like Cleveland designed him in a lab. I grew up a baseball fan, but I stopped watching after the 2016 World Series and only just got back into it last season. It feels almost alien to me now.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
The MLB draft has to be absolutely the least hyped thing in all of sports.
This is so true. I never gave a damn about the MLB draft until the last decade or so, nor paid any attention to it. And I think it's only been the last few years since the draft has been aired on TV (up here in Canada at least).

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
This is so true. I never gave a damn about the MLB draft until the last decade or so, nor paid any attention to it. And I think it's only been the last few years since the draft has been aired on TV (up here in Canada at least).

Yeah, the current "least hyped" version is about a thousand times more hyped than it used to be

Reactions: Cas

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Yeah, the current "least hyped" version is about a thousand times more hyped than it used to be
It was a conference call in the early 2000's.

It's also just not much to pay attention to - everyone knows almost all of these players will be minor league washouts, including the high picks.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
It was a conference call in the early 2000's.

It's also just not much to pay attention to - everyone knows almost all of these players will be minor league washouts, including the high picks.

That and people just don't know these guys like they do the NFL and NBA draft prospects, College BB is more popular than it used to be, but still way way behind the other two sports

Reactions: td_ice

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Something weird about the MLB draft is always fanbases will say, when their teams pick a HS guy, "I'm so glad we went for the player with the higher ceiling instead of the proven commodity." What?

Aaron Judge, HR leader. College baseball player. Tarik Skubal. College baseball player. Paul Skenes. College baseball player. Corbin Burnes. College baseball player. Alec Bohm. College baseball player. I'm not making the affirmative argument that college players have higher ceilings, I just think it's a bad and tired refrain.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
All I can say is White Sox have fairly strong recent track record of drafting and developing lefties

Hagen Smith - 2024 1st
Noah Schultz - 2022 1st (looks promising but is years away)
Garrett Crotchet - 2020 1st (Allstar)
Carlos Rodon - 2014 1st (2x Allstar)
Chris Sale - 2010 1st (8x Allstar)

Sox also identified Jose Quintana as someone worth signing after Yankees didn't put him on 40 man and he became FA

Turned out to be coup by Sox scouts on that one

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
All I can say is White Sox have fairly strong recent track record of drafting and developing lefties

Hagen Smith - 2024 1st
Noah Schultz - 2022 1st (looks promising but is years away)
Garrett Crotchet - 2020 1st (Allstar)
Carlos Rodon - 2014 1st (2x Allstar)
Chris Sale - 2010 1st (8x Allstar)

Sox also identified Jose Quintana as someone worth signing after Yankees didn't put him on 40 man and he became FA

Turned out to be coup by Sox scouts on that one
It seems the White Sox know how to identify talent, it’s what happens when they get there.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Something weird about the MLB draft is always fanbases will say, when their teams pick a HS guy, "I'm so glad we went for the player with the higher ceiling instead of the proven commodity." What?

Aaron Judge, HR leader. College baseball player. Tarik Skubal. College baseball player. Paul Skenes. College baseball player. Corbin Burnes. College baseball player. Alec Bohm. College baseball player. I'm not making the affirmative argument that college players have higher ceilings, I just think it's a bad and tired refrain.

Bobby Witt, CJ Abrams, Riley Greene, Corbin Carroll and Gunner Henderson all from high school in just 1 draft alone. The MLB draft is the most unpredictable draft of any of the major leagues. So you can't just say College players are the way to go and avoid high school and vce versa. College pitching seems to definitely be a better way to go than high school so I would lean that way if I was drafting but position players it's 50/50. Also those names I mentioned are all around the age those names you mentioned when they were drafted. So if you hit on a kid you get him in the show at a much younger age. Some of these College kids aren't hitting the majors till mid to late 20's.

Reactions: SnS

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Greatest player of this generation Mike Trout was drafted out of high school. It's a crap shoot.

Reactions: td_ice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad