Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
That sucks ass

I don’t think Columbus was dealing with Pittsburgh. They’ve been desperately trying to be the Pens rivals for over a decade. But it was nice to imagine
Except that time they did the mid-season Nylander for Bemstrom trade with us just last season.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I don’t think Columbus was dealing with Pittsburgh. They’ve been desperately trying to be the Pens rivals for over a decade. But it was nice to imagine
I’m not sure it’s that deep. We’re both gonna suck for the foreseeable future. Waddell is brand new to Columbus. He just wanted rid of the Laine contract for as cheap as possible. Besides, if Laine is negative value why wouldn’t they want to stick a supposed rival with the anchor? I’d love nothing more than to see Philadelphia Flyer Tristan Jarry.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Askarov is interesting to me because he's highly regarded but his AHL numbers aren't stellar. That's not always a tell-all for success but based on the hype around him I would have expected him to be dominating the AHL and he really isn't.

I'd be hard after him if I were the Devils. They picked up Markstrom but he's old and Askarov would be a great 1b for the future.
I like the idea of him but I'm not giving up assets for him even though he'd be worth it. With Jarry, Neds, Blom, Murashov...we just don't need him.

Now, if they wanted to do a swap for Blomqvist and we could find a true taker for Jarry or Neds, then I'd explore that. Hell, even trade him out for a high end prospect of similar value.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Except that time they did the mid-season Nylander for Bemstrom trade with us just last season.
I think this is a diff level, but yea maybe it has nothing to do with it. Just a theory.
I’m not sure it’s that deep. We’re both gonna suck for the foreseeable future. Waddell is brand new to Columbus. He just wanted rid of the Laine contract for as cheap as possible. Besides, if Laine is negative value why wouldn’t they want to stick a supposed rival with the anchor? I’d love nothing more than to see Philadelphia Flyer Tristan Jarry.
Could be as simple as they didn't want to retain at all, therefor the Pens couldn't fit him in their cap.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm not exactly thrilled with the moves Dubas has made this offseason, but to be fair to him, there was no "acquire Laine at the Draft" option for him, or anyone else, for that matter.

The Jackets weren't allowed to trade Laine until he exited the Player Assistance Program, and he was only cleared to do so on July 26th. And there was no indication of exactly when he would get cleared back during the time of the draft, either.
Given that there was no guarantee of being able to acquire him if he waited, missing out on Laine is not something that I'd categorize as a mistake.

Acquiring a bunch of players that are going to block prospects? That's a different story. But missing out on Laine? Not under the circumstances.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Could be as simple as they didn't want to retain at all, therefor the Pens couldn't fit him in their cap.
Indeed it could be that. Although with only one more year after this one, if I was them I would have retained and then maybe you could have just gotten rid of him for nothing without an asset. Not like they need the cap space right now anyways. But that’s why they’re the blue jackets.

Last edited:

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I did look at their PP numbers before EK started playing here.
Since 2010, Karlsson is a 4.71 PPP/60 and Letang is a 4.59. Switching them is totally fine, if one sucks.
We don't gotta force it with EK just because of his price tag.

I would say EK is very good at it in his career, but not elite among PP QB's.
The best are like Hedman, Burns, Krug, Shattenkirk, Ghost, Rielly, Klingberg. Bouchard might be one of the best now at it too, but it's a small sample.
Ghost is actually similar to EK in that he would put up PP points, but would hog the puck and actually make the Flyers PP worse

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Who knows If Columbus even would want to deal with us.

I always feel this energy from them that they would not want to deal with us.

I'd rather have

Rakell + a 2nd for laine
Then
Laine + 2nd for Harris

I remember all the Columbus fans laughing.

If my memory serves me correct Columbus didn’t want salary back.

Probably an ownership directive.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It's true that it's not worth complaining about. Honestly I'm not even a big Laine-gon-bounceback believer. But I dunno... would be nice to take chances (especially considering where the team is currently sitting in the overall picture) on someone with ability as opposed to Kevin flippin' Hayes. Really it's not even about Laine himself so much as how this team clearly views what they want on the roster and do not want. Which is more Hayes/Carter/Harkins types. As much as they can get. Because "low event hockey."

Hayes does bring something our bottom 6 needs which is zone exits and entries.

It might not sound sexy but it could make a big difference. You go from a bottom 6 line being hemmed in the D zone to potentially a 2-way line.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Hayes does bring something our bottom 6 needs which is zone exits and entries.

It might not sound sexy but it could make a big difference. You go from a bottom 6 line being hemmed in the D zone to potentially a 2-way line.
I think what you mean is sticktoitiveness. He really gets to his game. If he plays like that every night we’re going to win a bunch of games (even though we just lost 4 in a row playing that way)

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Go to the Flyers board and ready what they have to say about their rebuild. Interesting reading.
Also truth be told, the Flyers have a lot of very good young players and those two Russian studs they drafted, Penguins meanwhile keep adding more Veterans because Sullivan can’t fathom playing youth. Torts is also a twat, but I can at least respect him more than Sullivan these days.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Flyers also got gifted a generational talent in Michkov. Will never forget having the nightmare scenario play out as he fell to them cause "reasons"

Reactions: BusinessGoose

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It's tough too when you're top 4 are Sid, Geno, Letang, and Karlsson. Just telling one of Letang or Karlsson they have to be on the 2PP is tough. They are getting into those situations where you have to tell long-term all-starts that they don't have it anymore.
This isn't Sophie's Choice. Telling a star they have to do something they don't want to do is the very basis of a coach's job.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Flyers also got gifted a generational talent in Michkov. Will never forget having the nightmare scenario play out as he fell to them cause "reasons"
The reasons were it was the only team he was willing to go to in that range. I guess he never actually visited Philly? I’ve been to Philly once and will never be back.

I would have done a Lindros and drafted him and made Philly pay for him.

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
Also truth be told, the Flyers have a lot of very good young players and those two Russian studs they drafted, Penguins meanwhile keep adding more Veterans because Sullivan can’t fathom playing youth. Torts is also a twat, but I can at least respect him more than Sullivan these days.
Actually, the posters there have the same complaints of Torts as we do of Sullivan. Which makes sense since one is the mentor of the other. There is rumor there that Torts will be moving into a front office role in the next year or so. Maybe Sullivan will want to work for his mentor when that happens.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This isn't Sophie's Choice. Telling a star they have to do something they don't want to do is the very basis of a coach's job.
Under normal circumstances, I would agree. With this group, I think it's a tougher conversation. And really, I'm talking about Sid and Geno who we know aren't going to 2PP anyway so it's a moot point. We already saw flip-flopping with Letang and Karlsson last year.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Under normal circumstances, I would agree. With this group, I think it's a tougher conversation. And really, I'm talking about Sid and Geno who we know aren't going to 2PP anyway so it's a moot point. We already saw flip-flopping with Letang and Karlsson last year.

It shouldn't be a tough conversation if you've developed a culture of accountability.
I think there is someone responsible for such direction, but I forgot who that falls on. Probably the equipment guy

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It shouldn't be a tough conversation if you've developed a culture of accountability.
I think there is someone responsible for such direction, but I forgot who that falls on. Probably the equipment guy
The young guys who can't PK.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

How do you mean? Malkin was relegated to 2PP as recently as just last year for like a third or more of the season. He's also been the only one who has been asked/told to do so in the past (along with Letang occasionally here and there) when the powerplay was struggling and the braintrust in charge decided "split units" was the panacea.

I would imagine there is a very good chance Malkin will be assigned to PP2 for much of this upcoming year, again.

Last edited:

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
How do you mean? Malkin was relegated to 2PP as recently as just last year for like a third or more of the season. He's also been the only one who has been asked/told to do so in the past (along with Letang occasionally here and there) when the powerplay was struggling and the braintrust in charge decided "split units" was the panacea.

I would imagine there is a very good chance Malkin will be assigned to PP2 for much of this upcoming year, again.
That's because Malkin is a malcontent who only cares about himself and would never help the team.

-Double M

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I'm not sure that's entirely true, I think they split the PP into two "equal" sets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad