2024 HHOF

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Super happy for Datsyuk but honestly the moment is kinda ruined by snubbing Zetterberg again when they could have gone in together, they were called the "euro twins" for God's sake... ugh

(very happy and pleasantly surprised that JR Superstar got in, absolutely deserved, his star shone so bright in hockey's brightest time in the early nineties, hate the continual snubs of one of the absolute purist talents to every play hockey, but Almo is too cool for the hall of fame so f them)

GammaAway

Jun 24, 2020
Which make not pairing Datsyuk with a bit stranger (could they have wanted to make a point of Datsyuk > Zetterberg).

Weber would have been in one day anyway,
Norris: 2-2-3-4-4
727 vs 736 voting pts , may has well say he has one.

07-17, weber his third in points among defenceman, first in goals, prototypical #1D that could help at everything, looked really good in 2010-2014 for team Canada.

Maybe he did not had the defensive value of the Bourque-Pronger-Lidstrom-Chara type at all and could not eat minutes like those (ice-time was moderate and could get gazed by the end of a playoff run when he was up to 27 minutes or so).

But if we talk about who was the best 5 defenseman from 07-17 in the nhl, probably a debate among those 6 of who does not get in the club: Keith-Chara-Suter-Weber-Doughty-Karlsson, Weber seem clearly and cleanly part of that conversation.
If I had to describe Weber to a non-hockey fan, it would be as such:
Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. But you are next to the altar enough time, people know who you are.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I'm also surprised to not see Zetterberg go in with Datsyuk. Glad they inducted Datsyuk though instead of letting politics rear its ugly head.

Also, with Roenick in now, does that make it easier for Fleury to potentially get in? Their mouths were frequent reasons given to explain both of their exclusions previously.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm also surprised to not see Zetterberg go in with Datsyuk. Glad they inducted Datsyuk though instead of letting politics rear its ugly head.

Also, with Roenick in now, does that make it easier for Fleury to potentially get in? Their mouths were frequent reasons given to explain both of their exclusions previously.

Right or wrong Fleury has extra heat on him beyond his opinions.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
What has Campbell even done on a merit-based account that warrants this induction? I can look past the shitty personal behavior if he's making a fundamental, positive difference as an executive but I don't see it...at all.

I'll be honest, I'll don't have it in me to care about the non player/coach executive inductions. They really don't amount to anything beyond the OBC j***ing each other off

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Disappointing that Datsyuk and Zetterberg didn't get to be inducted together.

I also wonder about Fleury now that Roenick got in. But perhaps the former is perceived as more problematic/controversial.

Never was Weber's biggest fan but he's a hall of famer, no issue with that induction.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
People not on this subforum seemed somewhat confused by the Weber induction...so that leaves me in a precarious spot because I thought he was a little overrated while he was playing, but now seems a little underrated in retrospect...I'm not even sure how that's possible (besides the obvious, that I'm reading opinions from different people a decade apart haha)...

I don't know how to feel, so I'll just be content.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
On the weak side but no embarrassing inductions at least. No real issue with any of Datsyuk, Roenick, or Weber going in.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Roenick was definitely going to get in after Turgeon did. They're roughly equal, but Roenick was the bigger name of the two and arguably better at his best.

I also don't understand why they made Zetterberg wait. HHOF trying to play tough to get into or something? Lol.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
People not on this subforum seemed somewhat confused by the Weber induction...so that leaves me in a precarious spot because I thought he was a little overrated while he was playing, but now seems a little underrated in retrospect...I'm not even sure how that's possible (besides the obvious, that I'm reading opinions from different people a decade apart haha)...

I don't know how to feel, so I'll just be content.
I think his style and look made him someone people hated to face in a playoff series more than his ability to win them a little bit (so players, fans, press) could overrated him at moment, assuming his defensive impact was bigger than it was, but he was still really good at it, while being offensively quite elite at some stuff.

Even the post prime Weber, player that were facing him and Chariot every 2 night, must thought about it the night before and marked a generation of players trying to stay in front of the net (or block his shots).

There is a gap between he was overrated in the sense; finding it is ok he never won any Norris and not some best D to never win it status versus he never had an argument to be a Top 3 player at his position during his peak window and Top 5 during his prime, which is more than clearly over the HHOF material for someone over 1000 games.

Last edited:

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Nashville fan here, very happy to see Weber and Poile in together, somewhat ironic considering Weber blinded Poile, Weber definitely deserves it he has a decade of top 10 finishes and was closer to winning 2 Norrises with his two 2nd place finishes than some players who've won a Norris.

Poile, I'm just sad that he never got to win his cup, because he was very deserving in building Nashville up from the very very very bottom. He had a very great team that was ruined thanks to Craig Leipold selling the team. Most of his trades are wins and several of the bad ones make more sense looking at it in better context.

Reactions: Voight

carjackmalone

Dec 30, 2023
Weber is not a first Ballot HHOF Inductee,The blacklisted players include Carl Brewer,Rick Martin and Theo Fluery all deserve to get inducted Before Weber.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
....60ish points per year? I'm not a Nicholls HHOF advocate either, but C'mon....
As one who though Marlaeau might have a good shot at the HHOF if he did certain things he ended up not doing them and even with the low bar for wingers he doesn't pass the smell test.

Nichols was probably better in a vacuum but doesn't pass that test either.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I'm not saying he'll be inducted (although I think he might be eventually), but I'd probably rather have Perry's career or one similar to it than Marleau's.

I'd rather have a high peak and a Hart and Rocket (and yes, he was lucky that Crosby got hurt that year), another elite season, a few top five goal scoring finishes and a Cup and a whole bunch of deep playoff runs and SCF appearances than a steady career of being a good top six guy and a ton of NHL games played and more than 500 goals and almost 1200 points while never coming close to winning any individual awards and having one career SCF appearance and losing it. I'm not suggesting Perry was the driving force behind those teams that went deep, just that I'd rather have that type of career than Marleau's. I do think Perry at his best was substantially superior to Marleau.

I wouldn't induct either; I have a feeling the HHOF will induct both. I'm positive Marleau will get in.

Reactions: Voight and wetcoast

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
It's bizarre not to put Zetterberg in with Datsyuk considering how even and intertwined their careers are.

The Colin Campbell induction actually makes me sick. A guy whose biggest legacy is bullying referees to favour his son's team somehow OBC'ing his way into the HHOF is even worse than the Vernon induction.

former canucks inducted to the hall of fame:

milford
griffiths
neilson
neely
messier
larionov
bure
sundin
quinn
luongo
sedin
sedin
campbell

f*** two of those guys

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
former canucks inducted to the hall of fame:

milford
griffiths
neilson
neely
messier
larionov
bure
sundin
quinn
luongo
sedin
sedin
campbell

f*** two of those guys
I can at least acknowledge that Messier's induction is 100% deserved despite how much of a prick he was in Vancouver. I cannot think of a single reason for Colin Campbell's induction other than "has been a league exec for a while", and while that's likely a reason for a lot of builders, at the very least they probably have some sort of respect with fanbases and the like for what they've done (i.e. I don't like Jeremy Jacobs but he's a longtime owner and has likely done a lot to maintain the sport's popularity in Massachusetts).

I do not know a single person who respects Colin Campbell, and I legitimately think over 90% of hockey fans who have been following this sport for a while recognize that he is a corrupt shitstain.

Reactions: MS

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'm not saying he'll be inducted (although I think he might be eventually), but I'd probably rather have Perry's career or one similar to it than Marleau's.

I'd rather have a high peak and a Hart and Rocket (and yes, he was lucky that Crosby got hurt that year), another elite season, a few top five goal scoring finishes and a Cup and a whole bunch of deep playoff runs and SCF appearances than a steady career of being a good top six guy and a ton of NHL games played and more than 500 goals and almost 1200 points while never coming close to winning any individual awards and having one career SCF appearance and losing it. I'm not suggesting Perry was the driving force behind those teams that went deep, just that I'd rather have that type of career than Marleau's. I do think Perry at his best was substantially superior to Marleau.

I agree with this in principle but I hope you are wrong on the next part as they simply don't really oss the smell or gut instant feeling test.
I wouldn't induct either; I have a feeling the HHOF will induct both. I'm positive Marleau will get in.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Super happy for Datsyuk but honestly the moment is kinda ruined by snubbing Zetterberg again when they could have gone in together, they were called the "euro twins" for God's sake... ugh

(very happy and pleasantly surprised that JR Superstar got in, absolutely deserved, his star shone so bright in hockey's brightest time in the early nineties, hate the continual snubs of one of the absolute purist talents to every play hockey, but Almo is too cool for the hall of fame so f them)
Yeah, in the early '90s Roenick was a very prominent player, and there were actually people who thought he would become possibly the biggest star in the NHL. In didn't happen, of course, but his stardom was ascending quickly for a while.

He certainly deserves induction, and we can expect several more from the very deep '90s generation.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Some people were worried about politics being a factor with Datsyuk's case. I think one distinction is the group of Russians under sanctions by the US, Canada, and other countries. We have two HHOFers - Tretiak and Fetisov - currently under sanctions, so these guys aren't that far from being considered terrorists by the West. They aren't permitted to enter the US or Canada.

And then there's everybody else. And everybody else are probably okay for induction.

I'm not aware of any other hockey people under sanctions, but I'm not 100% sure.

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
I'll be in the minority I'm sure, but what makes Weber so substantially better than Gonchar that he gets in on 1st ballot? Other than being Canadian of course :rolleyes:

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I'll be in the minority I'm sure, but what makes Weber so substantially better than Gonchar that he gets in on 1st ballot? Other than being Canadian of course :rolleyes:
Yeah, that's the explanation.

Or it could be because Weber was a Norris trophy finalist three times (something which Gonchar never achieved once)?

(A less sarcastic response - I don't see much that separates Gonchar and Zubov. An argument can be made that if Zubov is in the Hall, Gonchar should be there too. But this type of reasoning leads to the continued watering-down of the Hall of Fame.

On the other hand - even though Gonchar improved later in his career, on balance, Weber was substantially better defensively. In terms of on-ice play, I'd argue that the gap is even greater than the difference in the Norris trophy voting suggests. Gonchar, like Housley, was probably overrated in the voting because his flashy scoring stats are easy to measure, whereas the defensive impact of someone like Weber is subtler. Ultimately, I think Weber is a legitimate, although lower-end, Hall of Fame defensemen (the biggest strike against him is he didn't do much in the playoffs). I wouldn't vote for Gonchar for the Hall, but I wouldn't have voted for Zubov, Housley or Wilson either, and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets inducted at some point).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad