2024 HHOF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Except that 10 year span when he had the most short handed goals in the league as a very strong penalty killer.

Most of Bondra's SHG were scored in the last 30 seconds of the penalty, catching the opposing team off guard. He never scored one in the playoffs when teams were prepared.

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Most of Bondra's SHG were scored in the last 30 seconds of the penalty, catching the opposing team off guard. He never scored one in the playoffs when teams were prepared.
By your logic he should have been highly predictable and easy to contain. He still had to beat the goalie so your argument makes no sense. He regularly skated 117-170 minutes a year shorthanded. and that's only since 97/98

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Screenshot_20240624-174407_Chrome.jpg

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
This is a dumb question, but was there an easier 500 goal scorer to shutdown than Peter Bondra? That's a guy who you put out there less in the playoffs...

Pat Verbeek, Dave Andreychuk, Keith Tkachuk.... Maybe Marleau.

playoff ppg

Bondra- .375
Marleau- .375
Andreychuk- .265
Tkachuk-.31
Verbeek- .22

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Satan was really good in his role, also internationally. In a way he was more sneaky than Bondra. Bondra was just so painfully soft. It was funny when he (Bondra) threw that hit on Hasek in the 98 playoffs because it's probably the nicest and most timid cheap shot ever, though Hasek still obviously tried to sell it like murder.

Yeah, Satan always seemed to deliver when he played for Team Slovakia. Definitely a player you remember if you grew up watching the World Hockey Championships during the early-mid 2000's, and not just for the cool name.

Looking through his career, I took a gander at the 2002-2003 WHC. What a great team Slovakia had that year. Palffy, Stumpel, Visnovsky, Satan, Zednik, Nagy, Bondra, Demitra, Svehla... Palffy ended up his career with 30 games and 20 goals for 43 points in the WHC. Such an underrated player to me.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Roenick doesn't lower bar any further than it has been with guys like Nieuwendyk, Carbonneau, Lowe, etc. I'd rather Elias, Fleury, and Mogilny were inducted ahead of him, but that's splitting hairs - in a perfect world none of them make it for me.

Weber is one I hadn't given too much thought before today. My initial reaction was one of surprise, but I'm sure if you asked me in his prime circa 2015 I would have considered him a near lock. I don't think I hate it...

Reactions: Voight

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Daystuk is as obvious as it gets (but so is Zetterberg)
Weber deserved to go straight in.
Roenick was in my list of 20-or-so guys who were obviously better than the 20 worst NHL-era inductees. The kind of guy who, it wouldn't bother me if he was in OR if he was out. So, good for him.

Marleau didn't just get squeezed out by numbers either - they COULD have inducted a 4th and chose not to.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Marleau didn't just get squeezed out by numbers either - they COULD have inducted a 4th and chose not to.
Which make not pairing Datsyuk with a bit stranger (could they have wanted to make a point of Datsyuk > Zetterberg).

Weber would have been in one day anyway,
Norris: 2-2-3-4-4
727 vs 736 voting pts , may has well say he has one.

07-17, weber his third in points among defenceman, first in goals, prototypical #1D that could help at everything, looked really good in 2010-2014 for team Canada.

Maybe he did not had the defensive value of the Bourque-Pronger-Lidstrom-Chara type at all and could not eat minutes like those (ice-time was moderate and could get gazed by the end of a playoff run when he was up to 27 minutes or so).

But if we talk about who was the best 5 defenseman from 07-17 in the nhl, probably a debate among those 6 of who does not get in the club: Keith-Chara-Suter-Weber-Doughty-Karlsson, Weber seem clearly and cleanly part of that conversation.

Roenick became the player not in the HHOF with the most points once Turgeon got in, and must have been in the conversation before that and has that 500 goals line they love. Was a question of time.

Assuming Kopitar get in quick, that title will be hold by Bernie Nicholls with just 4 pts over Damphousse, maybe that will be where the buck stop for a while (has it is easy to reason Damphousse or Brind'Amour should go in before Nicholls)

Last edited:

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Funny having Weber inducted before (as far as I am aware) he has officially retired.
They've done that a few times. The guys who all signed 8+ long contracts that they didn't finish were told to not officially retire as that would cause a cap penalty for their teams. Pronger was still under contract when he was inducted.

Reactions: Voight and pitseleh

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Daystuk is as obvious as it gets (but so is Zetterberg)
Weber deserved to go straight in.
Roenick was in my list of 20-or-so guys who were obviously better than the 20 worst NHL-era inductees. The kind of guy who, it wouldn't bother me if he was in OR if he was out. So, good for him.

It's bizarre not to put Zetterberg in with Datsyuk considering how even and intertwined their careers are.

The Colin Campbell induction actually makes me sick. A guy whose biggest legacy is bullying referees to favour his son's team somehow OBC'ing his way into the HHOF is even worse than the Vernon induction.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Only thing slam dunk about Weber is that he once slam dunked a better player's (Zetterberg's) head into the boards.

Reactions: norrisnick

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
It's bizarre not to put Zetterberg in with Datsyuk considering how even and intertwined their careers are.

The Colin Campbell induction actually makes me sick. A guy whose biggest legacy is bullying referees to favour his son's team somehow OBC'ing his way into the HHOF is even worse than the Vernon induction.
100% bullshit to see Campbell get in. It's been proven beyond a doubt that he's openly corrupt and incompetent. Brutal induction

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad