Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Hage

Size , skill , skating and drive. Bonus : He grew up as a Habs fan and come from an Habs loving family so he may have extra motivation

Let's say that i was very happy with the pick at 21. Hughes did the right thing

Reactions: Redux91

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Fowler again. Starting goalie upside.

¸Add Xhekaj
Florian and Fowler . It is, at least to this writer, not even close.

A simple test. Which of the remaining 'prospects' would garner the highest return in a trade? Aside from the top 4 prospects already identifies, only Florian, Hage and Fowler would secure a material return.

Reactions: Goldthorpe

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I love seeing you posters losing your shit over some random rankings like it matters that one prospect needs to be above another :laugh:

All that matters is if our top 7/8 will produce NHL’ers. If it does, then we are rolling in gold. The rest are already on the big team and we’ll complete the team with trades.

Reactions: Jaynki and Redux91

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I love seeing you posters losing your shit over some random rankings like it matters that one prospect needs to be above another :laugh:

All that matters is if our top 7/8 will produce NHL’ers. If it does, then we are rolling in gold. The rest are already on the big team and we’ll complete the team with trades.
I think there is a Million ways you could have made the same point without sounding like an A-hole.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Yeah, I just like to get a read of what the fans here think and how the stock of each player has changed from the prior year from the fan's perspective

Almost nobody here has watched all the prospects on a regular basis, so it was never intended to be a professional peice of work, nor is it implied as such.

Reactions: Gustave

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Wow Hage won. Not gonna complain. I love what I see but I think I’d go with Wawa.

I think people don’t quite realize the potential firepower we have in the system. If we have Newhook and Roy on a 3rd line then that 4th line won’t play much.

Reactions: Eegs and Gustave

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I chose Hage comfortably here. He's a player I liked quite a bit pre-draft. Listening to his interviews, watching his tools in person and knowing he's going to Michigan next year only makes me more confident in my choice.

The next three picks are Beck, Roy and Xhekaj imo, but will have to think about the order. I would tend to go with Xhekaj as he has a rare package of aggression, skill and size that you can't really find on the trade market. He might be our Tom Wilson.

That being said, over the years the team has had favorable prospect rankings which to be honest I never quite got. This is the first time I legitimately consider the prospect pool to be excellent. It has a variety of everything, including high potential players, though I'm not as confident in the goaltending as others.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Fowler is a wild card as even elite scouts have a hard time comparing goalies and skaters.

Reactions: Rapala

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I chose Hage comfortably here. He's a player I liked quite a bit pre-draft. Listening to his interviews, watching his tools in person and knowing he's going to Michigan next year only makes me more confident in my choice.

The next three picks are Beck, Roy and Xhekaj imo, but will have to think about the order. I would tend to go with Xhekaj as he has a rare package of aggression, skill and size that you can't really find on the trade market. He might be our Tom Wilson.

That being said, over the years the team has had favorable prospect rankings which to be honest I never quite got. This is the first time I legitimately consider the prospect pool to be excellent. It has a variety of everything, including high potential players, though I'm not as confident in the goaltending as others.
I can't remember when the goaltending cupboard was actually this good to be honest. What other team has this many promising young goalie prospects including Dobes?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

A simple test. Which of the remaining 'prospects' would garner the highest return in a trade? Aside from the top 4 prospects already identifies, only Florian, Hage and Fowler would secure a material return.
Still hating on Joshua Roy? I wonder what he ever did to you. Where's Cédrick Guindon?

Fowler is a wild card as even elite scouts have a hard time comparing goalies and skaters.
It's almost impossible to predict goaltenders, even established ones vary greatly in performances season in and season out.

The only thing I can say is that Dobes looks better than Fowler to me. Dobes looks about as good as any goaltender I've seen outside of Michael Hrabal who looks almost Price like in his talent.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I can't remember when the goaltending cupboard was actually this good to be honest. What other team has this many promising young goalie prospects including Dobes?

I'm a poor evaluator of goaltending, so my opinion isn't well thought out on the subject.

The reason I'm not as confident is that I've seen a wave of Russian goaltenders coming into the league and have a combination of technical ability, incredible athleticism, high compete, mental fortitude and size that I just don't see any of the goalies in the system having. There's still a lot of development remaining and, like I said, I'm far from someone with reliable opinions on the subject. Who knows, maybe Fowler or Vorokhin is that player.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I'm a poor evaluator of goaltending, so my opinion isn't well thought out on the subject.

The reason I'm not as confident is that I've seen a wave of Russian goaltenders coming into the league and have a combination of technical ability, incredible athleticism, high compete and size that I just don't see any of the goalies in the system having. There's still a lot of development remaining and, like I said, I'm far from someone with reliable opinions on the subject.
Well at least we have a 6'3 Russian goalie prospect 🤣🤣🤣.
I remember a time not so long ago that Quebec owned the star goalie market, how times change huh?

• Love
Reactions: Andrei79

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC

Roy and Beck easily return more than F X

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Roy and Beck easily return more than F X
You may be surprised.

I like Beck, but I think Florian has passed him on Montreal’s depth chart of prospects as his combination of size, speed, skill and aggression provides him with a higher ceiling. Roy remains an enigma. His lack of foot speed will always be a limiting factor. His lack of production after his return to Laval also raises some red flags. He has elite hand skills, but it remains to be seen if that is enough for him to be an impactful player in the NHL.

Reactions: Andrei79

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You may be surprised.

I like Beck, but I think Florian has passed him on Montreal’s depth chart of prospects as his combination of size, speed, skill and aggression provides him with a higher ceiling. Roy remains an enigma. His lack of foot speed will always be a limiting factor. His lack of production after his return to Laval also raises some red flags. He has elite hand skills, but it remains to be seen if that is enough for him to be an impactful player in the NHL.
All in all it's a good problem to have and I don't try to rank players until I see them in the best league.
Roy is one of the savviest players we have in terms of reading the play which is how he's survived/excelled everywhere he's played.
He's a bit like Thomas Vanek who was never the fleetest of foot but just knew how to cut down the ice and where to position himself.
Vanek was bigger and stronger but he's the type of player I see Roy being.
I agree he was anemic for stretches in Laval but he wasn't in Montreal with better line mates.
That's just who he is.

Reactions: Tyson

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Still hating on Joshua Roy? I wonder what he ever did to you. Where's Cédrick Guindon?
I should note that I have no hate for Roy or, for that matter, any other player. But I am somewhat charmed that you seem to need my approbation of Roy to justify your determination of this player’s potential upside. The fact is, due to his mediocre foot speed and somewhat lackadaisical approach to his craft, I have never thought Roy’s game translated well to the NHL.

As a fan, I hope I’m wrong.

While no one can question his hand skills, Roy’s chances of becoming a core player on the Canadiens are increasingly being undermined by the simple aspect of the numbers’ game. If you assume going forward that 5 forward spots will be taken by Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky, Dach and Newhook and that two more spots should be taken by Demidov and Hage, that leaves only 5 forward positions to be filled long term. Roy will be facing stiff competition for those positions having to compete with a number of the team’s existing, established players and other promising forward prospects that include: Beck, Florian Xhekaj, Kapanen and Tuch. That competition will only be intensified when you factor in that over the next two years the Canadiens will have three first round draft choices (including, most probably, a top 10 choice in 2025) and 3 second round choices and that as Montreal approaches competitiveness, Hughes will probably acquire one or two established scoring free agent forwards.

One therefore has to ask whether there will be room for the speed challenged Roy? If he can’t make the top three lines, Roy will not play for Montreal. There will be better options. Hence, my opinion that Roy is not among Montreal’s most promising players.

As for Guidon, when he and David Goyette played for Eastern Ontario Wild AAA , they were both considered among the best two prospects of their age group playing in the Ottawa area. Some players’ development continue unabatedly and become legitimate prospects. Others, sadly plateau. Regrettably, Guindon has fallen into the latter class. He won’t be the first prospect to disappoint. Nor will he be the last.

Reactions: Jaynki and Tyson

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad