Racing: 2024 Formula 1 Season

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I'm a relatively new F1 follower. Can someone explain why Norris would have been called to pit before Piastri if they didn't want him to undercut him? What's the thought there? Sucks for Lando to give up a win like that.

On the other hand if he'd just given up the spot much earlier when he was told to, maybe Mclaren lets them race and he passes Piastri on his own merit.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I'm a relatively new F1 follower. Can someone explain why Norris would have been called to pit before Piastri if they didn't want him to undercut him? What's the thought there? Sucks for Lando to give up a win like that.

On the other hand if he'd just given up the spot much earlier when he was told to, maybe Mclaren lets them race and he passes Piastri on his own merit.
simple answer: it's a team order that sometimes between teams that dictates strategy.... it's only seen in F1....... rarely is it used in Indycar and not so much in NASCAR.... and it depends on the team as well... I know Penske's # 1 rule is don't wreck teammates if racing for a win....

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019

1721673778795.png

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

"To cover Hamilton" was the reason given on the radio.

The simple explanation was the team tried too hard to compensate for the bad strategy that cost Piastri at Silverstone and ended up covering for something that they weren't in any real danger from.

Considering when they made their final stops Norris could and probably should have given the place back and gone for the win on merit. Norris could also have not made a mess of the start and been in a position to win himself anyway, but he still needs to improve the way he deals with situations like that now he's in a race-winning F1 car. I'd say this particular incident is about 95% the team trying too hard to be clever, 5% Norris not realising how the final stint was going to play out and trying to win on merit.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Spa Francochamps (Belgium) TV Schedule; Sky also reporting that Verstappen likely will be assessed a 10 place grid penalty for engine exceed limits for the 3rd year in a row at Spa

Last edited:

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019

Confirmed:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hopefully the midfield drivers don't just let Verstappen pass easily. The more angry he is as he makes his way to the front of the pack the better the race will be. Ferrari looks to be back on the pace as well. If Perez can get his head in the game you have 8 drivers that have a shot to win. That should make for a pretty good race.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Bruno the "Rat" Famin out at Alpine. It wasn't hard to see there was more leadership in a piece of drift wood and he went out of his way to stab Otmar in the back.. Rat

Reactions: MXD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad