Prospect Info: 2024 Entry Draft Thread - Let's Talk About Picks, Bay-bee

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
First, enjoy and learn a lot from your posts and missed you, when you were on hiatus.
The only reason I didn't block GBH, (I have not blocked anyone) was so I can read your exchanges wtih him. Good entertaiment and laughs.

As I said, I am impatient and that is not good, if you're management, but many fans are.
I said to others after 2012 Cup, that I could now be happy forever...and then again in 2014 and basked in that a few years...but since I am a fan, became hungry again, especially when fueled by wanting to beat the Oilers and any other foes.

IDK. It's not an exact science. There are always some players that buck the trend and can play NHL hockey at 18 and 19. Perhaps none I listed (or anyone they pick at 21) can play in the NHL 2-3 yrs....should Kyle Clifford have made the Kings at 18? Would he have improved his overall ga,e with 1 or 2 more years in the CHL. Who knows...but he certainly had a ceiling.

I was so pissed, watching the 2019 draft lotto. I recall both Blake and Luc at the event and having the most sour faces I've ever seen on either, when they were pushed back to #5....but, if they had #2, would they have picked Kakko? Or Dach? Geez...Turcotte may be the better player in 2 years.
I don't know if another year at Wisconsin, would have made Alex any more prepared. I think he could have been ready for the AHL. If a slighter Hughes could play in the NHL at 18, why couldn't Turcotte play AHL hockey at 19? I honestly think if Covid doesnt shut everything down, the very day Alex arrives in LA...and he play AHL a month, things may be different...maybe not by a large degree. I recall the Summer he said "yeah, I've been skating with Hughes and his brother Luke and working out and I'm in the best shape of my life"....but maybe having had some pro AHL games and a normal Summer training in LA, with staff would have been better.

I watched every USA U20 game and Alex was #1 C playing with Zegras and Arty...Zegras was on another level, offensively, but Alex played great and was a factor. Arty was pretty good, overall too.
The last 2 mins of the Gold medal game, Alex was the best player on the ice, 200 feet. Where was Caufield? He was the only minus player for Team USA that tournament. And had 5 pts to Alex's 8. I was awed by Faber...I recall actually saying to myself, this guy has not made one single flaw...in the first 2 or 3 games. Was incredible. Oh well.
Why is Turcotte now borderline NHL player with a hoped upside of 3rd line center and Caufiled now making millions and a key part of Montreal? Caufield did play a second year at Wisconsin, but how did he elevate so much and Turcotte not have a higher projectory?

The 2 major concussions were the most detrimental injuries and I think were probably almost career ending...I was at the Eagles Reign game in Colorado and saw Englund clock him...I almost cried and almost left the game. I don't even remember the rest of that game. All injuries are not the same...like a knee injury, surgery...yeah, out 6 months with this type of knee injury...or ACL surgery, 1 yr. Concussion Grade? (I don't know all the grades) Yes, tricky, Probably 6-9 months. DD hand surgery...1 year. He was still affected by it, longer than that. I wish they kept Alex up his second cup of coffee and he's not at that Eagles game. I should not live in woulda coulda shoulda, but oh well. Like the piece of paper I wrote down 3 stocks to buy, last JULY...I had NVDA....440. Should I buy? Then read about China possibly invading Taiwan that month and NVDA had chips made there at Taiwan Semiconductor...so I didn;t buy. 11 months later, it went to 1200 and 10 for 1 split. Woulda coulda shoulda.

There are always some totally unforseen things in which a player catapults to heights never thought poissible...and late in their careers. Look at Hyman. Topped out at 21 goals with Toronto and time with Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares. Then, at age 30, 27 goals, age 31, 36 goals and now at 32, 54 goals? How the hell? Is he a better player than he was at age 29 on the Leafs?
It's freak...I read (when he hit 50) that 35 of the goals were within 6 feet (something like that) of the net. Maybe he just got better at finishing and going to the net at the right instant?

I agree that the Kings do not develop well and why no forward in the system breaks out.
The only ones the last several yrs are Vilardi and Byfield. Why? Has to do with development.
They seem pretty good at churning out defensemen, that played in the AHL. McNabb, Walker, Roy, Anderson, Spence....but why no forwards? Gabe and QB were going to make it, no matter what they did in the AHL.

I just hope Turcotte is 100% healthy and he makes the team and gets 10+ mins and excels.
He's still only 23.

'''Exceptional hockey sense, impressive skating and compete-level. There is a lot to like about Turcotte. He is a very gifted playmaker, but has a also a fine release and goal scoring ability. Can be used in most situations and plays a very complete game. (EP 2019)'''

Where is this player? I think they have made him work so hard at the system and playing 200 feet, on lines 2 and 3 on the AHL...that it has stunted him, to a degree. Does he have elite skill?
Maybe not, but I've seen him make several elite plays.
One of the tragedies with Turcotte and Thomas is that both are guys that would be defining the culture of the team. They have the personalities to affect a dressing room in a positive way and set standards on ice also. Both will be great pro’s if they establish themselves. I think the intangibles definitely pushed Turcotte up the draft position wise, even if his skill set is not that of a 5OA pick. Had both not had major injury issues and perhaps been handled better things would look better than they do now. Obviously they’d still need to have been developed properly which isn’t a given. They should have been middle six fixtures at this point.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
One of the tragedies with Turcotte and Thomas is that both are guys that would be defining the culture of the team. They have the personalities to affect a dressing room in a positive way and set standards on ice also. Both will be great pro’s if they establish themselves. I think the intangibles definitely pushed Turcotte up the draft position wise, even if his skill set is not that of a 5OA pick. Had both not had major injury issues and perhaps been handled better things would look better than they do now. Obviously they’d still need to have been developed properly which isn’t a given. They should have been middle six fixtures at this point.
The question there is whether or not the massive shadows of the Cup core would allow any kind of new leadership to grow in that shade.

I, for one, say that this is the single biggest problem the franchise has had over the last ten years. Too much deference paid to the old, not enough room to grow for the new. Old players cemented into roles that they can no longer succeed in has played a big part in neutering the growth of the franchise - both in teams of on-ice play AND the direction of the franchise.

They STILL have no idea what they have in any of these kids, except Mikey Anderson. Until they allow them to take ownership of the team (and the room), management will never truly know what they really need to do to move forward.

Such a waste.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reaper45

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
First, enjoy and learn a lot from your posts and missed you, when you were on hiatus.
The only reason I didn't block GBH, (I have not blocked anyone) was so I can read your exchanges wtih him. Good entertaiment and laughs.

As I said, I am impatient and that is not good, if you're management, but many fans are.
I said to others after 2012 Cup, that I could now be happy forever...and then again in 2014 and basked in that a few years...but since I am a fan, became hungry again, especially when fueled by wanting to beat the Oilers and any other foes.

IDK. It's not an exact science. There are always some players that buck the trend and can play NHL hockey at 18 and 19. Perhaps none I listed (or anyone they pick at 21) can play in the NHL 2-3 yrs....should Kyle Clifford have made the Kings at 18? Would he have improved his overall ga,e with 1 or 2 more years in the CHL. Who knows...but he certainly had a ceiling.

I was so pissed, watching the 2019 draft lotto. I recall both Blake and Luc at the event and having the most sour faces I've ever seen on either, when they were pushed back to #5....but, if they had #2, would they have picked Kakko? Or Dach? Geez...Turcotte may be the better player in 2 years.
I don't know if another year at Wisconsin, would have made Alex any more prepared. I think he could have been ready for the AHL. If a slighter Hughes could play in the NHL at 18, why couldn't Turcotte play AHL hockey at 19? I honestly think if Covid doesnt shut everything down, the very day Alex arrives in LA...and he play AHL a month, things may be different...maybe not by a large degree. I recall the Summer he said "yeah, I've been skating with Hughes and his brother Luke and working out and I'm in the best shape of my life"....but maybe having had some pro AHL games and a normal Summer training in LA, with staff would have been better.

I watched every USA U20 game and Alex was #1 C playing with Zegras and Arty...Zegras was on another level, offensively, but Alex played great and was a factor. Arty was pretty good, overall too.
The last 2 mins of the Gold medal game, Alex was the best player on the ice, 200 feet. Where was Caufield? He was the only minus player for Team USA that tournament. And had 5 pts to Alex's 8. I was awed by Faber...I recall actually saying to myself, this guy has not made one single flaw...in the first 2 or 3 games. Was incredible. Oh well.
Why is Turcotte now borderline NHL player with a hoped upside of 3rd line center and Caufiled now making millions and a key part of Montreal? Caufield did play a second year at Wisconsin, but how did he elevate so much and Turcotte not have a higher projectory?

The 2 major concussions were the most detrimental injuries and I think were probably almost career ending...I was at the Eagles Reign game in Colorado and saw Englund clock him...I almost cried and almost left the game. I don't even remember the rest of that game. All injuries are not the same...like a knee injury, surgery...yeah, out 6 months with this type of knee injury...or ACL surgery, 1 yr. Concussion Grade? (I don't know all the grades) Yes, tricky, Probably 6-9 months. DD hand surgery...1 year. He was still affected by it, longer than that. I wish they kept Alex up his second cup of coffee and he's not at that Eagles game. I should not live in woulda coulda shoulda, but oh well. Like the piece of paper I wrote down 3 stocks to buy, last JULY...I had NVDA....440. Should I buy? Then read about China possibly invading Taiwan that month and NVDA had chips made there at Taiwan Semiconductor...so I didn;t buy. 11 months later, it went to 1200 and 10 for 1 split. Woulda coulda shoulda.

There are always some totally unforseen things in which a player catapults to heights never thought poissible...and late in their careers. Look at Hyman. Topped out at 21 goals with Toronto and time with Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares. Then, at age 30, 27 goals, age 31, 36 goals and now at 32, 54 goals? How the hell? Is he a better player than he was at age 29 on the Leafs?
It's freak...I read (when he hit 50) that 35 of the goals were within 6 feet (something like that) of the net. Maybe he just got better at finishing and going to the net at the right instant?

I agree that the Kings do not develop well and why no forward in the system breaks out.
The only ones the last several yrs are Vilardi and Byfield. Why? Has to do with development.
They seem pretty good at churning out defensemen, that played in the AHL. McNabb, Walker, Roy, Anderson, Spence....but why no forwards? Gabe and QB were going to make it, no matter what they did in the AHL.

I just hope Turcotte is 100% healthy and he makes the team and gets 10+ mins and excels.
He's still only 23.

'''Exceptional hockey sense, impressive skating and compete-level. There is a lot to like about Turcotte. He is a very gifted playmaker, but has a also a fine release and goal scoring ability. Can be used in most situations and plays a very complete game. (EP 2019)'''

Where is this player? I think they have made him work so hard at the system and playing 200 feet, on lines 2 and 3 on the AHL...that it has stunted him, to a degree. Does he have elite skill?
Maybe not, but I've seen him make several elite plays.

Thank you for the response and kind words.

I think you are just placing to much emphasis on a short holiday tournament, and it's another example of why the WJC should be used as a small part of player evaluation and not as big as it's used by basically everyone on this forum. I get it, it's a fun mid-season tournament, but if you really dig deep and look at the players who dominated and struggled, there are countless examples of the years of players who greatly exceeded expectation and failed to live up to expectation, and a lot of those cases had little bearing on how they did as NHL prospects. You are using this tournament to build up Turcotte, but by the same reverse logic, would you use the tournament to tear down Byfield? He played in 14 WJC games, he ended up with 8 points, but 6 of those came in a 10-0 game over a Swiss team that was relegated. So in the other 13 games he had 2 points total, would that be reason to doubt Byfield as an NHL'er after that tournament? I don't think so, that would be ridiculous. Fagemo the year before I believe lead the tournament in goal-scoring and it hasn't translated to an NHL career.

Caufield did not have a good WJC, but in the big picture did it matter? Despite having a pretty historical sophomore season at UW, many people on this site who hated him insisted that the WJC "was proof that he can't cut it at higher levels" and "would be eaten alive at the NHL level" that was in January, a few months later Caufield was playing on the 1st line of an NHL team that made the Stanley Cup finals, in particular having a dominant series against a big, bad Vegas team that was supposed to own a player like that. There is a perfect example of why WJC performances have to be taken with a grain of salt and what players do in months or years of league play is always going to be more important than what they do in a 2 week tournament.

Another example would be using a single playoff series to evaluate players while ignoring the rest of the season. In the series vs Colorado in 2001, Surf Nutz led the Kings in scoring and was probably the best player on the ice for the Kings. Ziggy Palffy who was the Kings best player all year, only scored one time in the series. But it would be foolish to judge his entire season of work on that one 7 game sample size, right?

I'm going to go off memory here, but these are the WJC heroes I can remember who really didn't do much as NHL'ers.

Nigel Dawes
Jordan Schroeder
Jerry D'Amigo
Colin White
Kiefer Bellows
Anthony Stewart
Nick Petan
Colin Wilson
Sam Steel
Jared Aulin

Last edited:

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
The question there is whether or not the massive shadows of the Cup core would allow any kind of new leadership to grow in that shade.

I, for one, say that this is the single biggest problem the franchise has had over the last ten years. Too much deference paid to the old, not enough room to grow for the new. Old players cemented into roles that they can no longer succeed in has played a big part in neutering the growth of the franchise - both in teams of on-ice play AND the direction of the franchise.

They STILL have no idea what they have in any of these kids, except Mikey Anderson. Until they allow them to take ownership of the team (and the room), management will never truly know what they really need to do to move forward.

Such a waste.
If as people say they are poor leaders then it’d be easy for new stronger characters to carry over… yes I’m being deliberately argumentative although not to you specifically.

In fairness though I don’t think the old core are a barrier as it’s been talked about already how Anderson has already become a dressing room leader. The same with Kempe, it hasn’t stopped them becoming part of it. There’s a leadership void there that needs strong personality to fill it. So Turcotte and/or Thomas being potential leaders wouldn’t push out the old guard, just supplement it. I just don’t yet see enough natural (or at least obviously so) leadership in the room for there to even be a discussion about the old guys stepping aside. Trading them would force the leadership to be new, but I don’t yet see it’d be better. You are right though, the proof is in the pudding.

Reactions: King'sPawn

bland

Jul 1, 2004
If as people say they are poor leaders then it’d be easy for new stronger characters to carry over… yes I’m being deliberately argumentative although not to you specifically.

In fairness though I don’t think the old core are a barrier as it’s been talked about already how Anderson has already become a dressing room leader. The same with Kempe, it hasn’t stopped them becoming part of it. There’s a leadership void there that needs strong personality to fill it. So Turcotte and/or Thomas being potential leaders wouldn’t push out the old guard, just supplement it. I just don’t yet see enough natural (or at least obviously so) leadership in the room for there to even be a discussion about the old guys stepping aside. Trading them would force the leadership to be new, but I don’t yet see it’d be better. You are right though, the proof is in the pudding.

When your team lacks character, confidence, and has consistently been unable to grow into anything bigger than the sum of its parts for the vast majority of a decade, and the "leadership" group has been fully entrenched for that entire run, then yeah, that is at very least partly a leadership problem.

There is nothing to support any kind of positive influence from Kopitar and Doughty in the last ten years. Hell, Lombardi tried to DRAG that out of Kopitar by insisting that he take a step forward into that leadership group with his extension by giving him the C because he knew it wasn't already in him - and that was after the Cups. I will argue until my dying day that Kopitar's 8 year extension was a terrible, terrible decision that ended up yielding longterm damaging results that were all too easy to predict.

For shits and giggles, other than wishful thinking, what tangible (or even intangible) evidence is there to suggest that it has been anything other than a mistake to let those players assume those roles? The team has piss-poor character. They fall apart at the drop of a hat. None of the kids have benefited from their leadership, they are all still struggling to find their way. Players get run and injured with no response. Systems break down and they stay the course. They haven't risen to meet any single occasion. They quit on three coaches while under this leadership group.

Honestly, even with all of our bitching and complaining, I still don't think folks have really realized just how awful this organization has become and how much it is going to take to get out of this hole. I don't see it happening until they are free from the old guard.

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
Thanks. That's true, regarding tournments. Any of them. PLD just produced with Tavares and Hagel in the WC and don't see that happeneing once the season starts...even if he is in top 6 and PP1. I will expect more, as everyone should....who knows, his NMC clause kicks in July 1 and maybe they do move him...lately some Summer surprises: Danault, Fiala and PLD himself, last 3 Summers. Probably another one coming up, in 2-3 weeks.

EDIT. Forgot. Look at Fiala MVP WC and like he's Kucherov. I still think he has 100 point NHL potential, with top line and #1 PP...and letting him play his game. He's not the biggest defensive liability on earth. Hope they change systems and see more production. I think they don't trust their goalies and won't move from their system, in relying on their goalies more. And the defense doesn't activate enough and have backend production...part of that are the defensemen they have, that have no offensive prowess. I hope Clarke can play freely and make a huge impact. I saw a lot of Korchinski and Harley and they look horrible on D at times...and think Clarke is ahead of them, defensively. Let him play.

Jared Aulin. Geez. I recall the hype, when the Kings acquired him...and Schenn had a great WJC and I was expecitng bigger things from him. Unrealistic expectations. Maybe if Turcotte played a second yr at Wisconsin, he would have benefitted with the season Caufield had. I read (cannot recall who said this) that Blake and Granato were in weekly contact about Alex's progress during his season and seemed there was much hopium, in that Granato was apparently saying that Alex was an NHL player now...despite the 26? pts he had...not a bust season, but below expectations.

The concussions certainly were the worst that happened. I don't think anyone on these boards played a high level of hockey and had a serious concussion...let alone 2. I think if anyone had 2...and all the time to think about life and even attempting to go out there agian, there's got to be something inside that you are acutely aware of could happen and you probably think twice about going into the boards, with your back to the play....but if you have any fear, you're pretty much done.

I agree with so many here about the Kings' development and decisions. The last 2 youth that got shots to play real NHL minutes, were Durzi and Laferriere. And only due to DD and Arvidsson injuries....they both would have been in the AHL, without that. Think about that. Would Durzi have been traded, before he had a chance to play on the Kings? How would Laf done in the AHL this yr? If not a great season, and not a great preseason this coming Sept, would perhaps be going back to the AHL again.

This goes to show anyone, that if they had given Turcotte (his second callup) and Clarke (or several others) a slot with no scratches or benchings, maybe they would be just fine. Durzi succeeded. Laf has succeeded, although has a ways to go. It sucks, that the best way for a Reign player to get a shot, is due to a King getting a longterm injury.

Back to the draft! Watch #21OA get moved next week for some veteran that won't make a difference....but who knows? We were right there, and that player could be the difference.

Last edited:

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com

Such a waste.

Sure just call em up from the AHL and give them the C and an A.

o_O

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Parascak is definitely a mixed bag. General mock drafts and scouting services have him ranked in the 20s. But I've seen multiple WHL scouts saying they wouldn't take him earlier than the third round.

He's ranked:
No 20 by HockeyProspect
No 25 by DraftPro
No 36 by EliteProspects
No 77 by Future Considerations

The skating and size are definitely the two obstacles he needs to overcome. But hitting triple digits as an undersized, slow-skating rookie (while being 8th overall in league scoring) just goes to show how intelligent and skilled he is.

Keep in mind he was also tied for second overall in the league in shorthanded points (8 total - 4 G, 4 A). So, he was one of the best penalty-killing forwards in the league (and it's not like he sacrificed Prince George's penalty kill - they were the 7th best team on the PK). And he just turned 18 two weeks ago.

I know I voted for Emery in the Team Board Mock Draft, but that's mostly because he has a lower likelihood of falling out of the first.

But to me, I'd be over the moon if the Kings could get Emery and/or Parascak.

Edit: another player I really love from this draft class is Teddy Stiga. Again, on the smaller side, but he has such a complete game and is so relentless.

Not making talent/career comparisons, but as far as style of play, Stiga reminds me of Mike Richards.

Say no to lack of size just like she did.

LHD, or Right shot forward.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
It seems that more and more people are projecting Levshunov to Chicago, which would keep him away from Anaheim, which to me is a nice scenario for the Kings and the rest of the Pacific. I don't follow prospects I don't get to see play as much as I used to, but if there is more than one guy being considered before this guy, the draft must be pretty good.

The only B10 defenseman I can say was clearly better as a freshman was Q. Hughes. And that is a pretty impressive list with Faber, Power, L Hughes, Werenski. It would be a total coup for Anaheim to replace Drysdale with a likely improvement, and then turn Drysdale into Gauthier, who is going to score a million goals for them.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
As mentioned, a couple are in the queue. They're pending Hoven reviewing and publishing. Hemming was already set up.

Here's the Beaudoin video I made, in case you want something to watch in the meantime:

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
Started doing a video on Teddy Stiga, but after reading some reports from the guides that came out, decided to try to meld some of the prospects I've read about along with a player or two that the boards are excited about.

So here's Sacha Boisvert.

Started doing a video on Teddy Stiga, but after reading some reports from the guides that came out, decided to try to meld some of the prospects I've read about along with a player or two that the boards are excited about

So here's Sacha Boisvert.

Sacha is one I hope I'd there at 21.
Are you looking at Alfons Freij ?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Sacha is one I hope I'd there at 21.
Are you looking at Alfons Freij ?
I made a video of Freij. If you've not seen yet, enjoy!

Regarding writing an article on him, I'll see if I can get something out before the draft, but he's lower on the priority list. With Clarke and Spence, I think there's a lower likelihood that they'll target another finesse RHD with their top pick.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024

Regarding writing an article on him, I'll see if I can get something out before the draft, but he's lower on the priority list. With Clarke and Spence, I think there's a lower likelihood that they'll target another finesse RHD with their top pick.

Oh shoot thought he was a left shot d. I was thinking Kings could use a mobile left handed d in the prospect pool and he seemed to fit the bill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad