Prospect Info: 2024 Entry Draft Thread - Let's Talk About Picks, Bay-bee

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Getting Toffoli vibes from Maxim Masse. I could see them being interested in him. Plays in the Q which I know they haven’t drafted from in awhile. Wouldn’t shock me.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Hey all, I wanted to run an idea through you all for those of you who have watched the videos I've made.

First of all, thank you!

Second of all, I was thinking of, in between each shift, to have a one second freeze frame and zeroing in on the player. That way the viewer (you) would be able to track immediately, as sometimes a player whose shift starts into the frame isn't obvious.

For example, I was making a video of Michael Hage. As my videos normally go, this is what the start of his shift would look like:

1717946776967.png

But adding a quick mask + 1 second long freeze frame, it would look like this:
1717946844225.png

Then the play would resume and look like normal, and you can see the entire ice again.

Do you find it unnecessary or distracting? My thought is it helps direct your eyes to the player immediately and not having an absurd pause, but I'm also creating this with the intent of it being helpful and useful to the audience.

I might still roll this video out like this, because maybe seeing it in action would be helpful, but wanted to get some sentiment as well.

BTW, before anyone asks, I just moved onto Michael Hage as a random player to make a video of. No inside info. Though obviously with where he's ranked, he might be someone LA has their sights on.

CarlSneep

Feb 26, 2023
I like that. Some people will put a circle around the player but it’s a little harder to find in the few seconds before the video starts. This seems like a better solution.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Thank you for the feedback @Schrute farms and @CarlSneep here's the end result of the video.

Unfortunately I couldn't change the opacity of the mask (or I just couldn't figure out how); so I had a pause right before and right after the focus, too. Looking forward to feedback if this is better!

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlSneep

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Thank you for the feedback @Schrute farms and @CarlSneep here's the end result of the video.

Unfortunately I couldn't change the opacity of the mask (or I just couldn't figure out how); so I had a pause right before and right after the focus, too. Looking forward to feedback if this is better!

Like the idea and like that you got L.A future pick Emery in that video.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Hey all, I wanted to run an idea through you all for those of you who have watched the videos I've made.

First of all, thank you!

Second of all, I was thinking of, in between each shift, to have a one second freeze frame and zeroing in on the player. That way the viewer (you) would be able to track immediately, as sometimes a player whose shift starts into the frame isn't obvious.

For example, I was making a video of Michael Hage. As my videos normally go, this is what the start of his shift would look like:

View attachment 880902

But adding a quick mask + 1 second long freeze frame, it would look like this:
View attachment 880903

Then the play would resume and look like normal, and you can see the entire ice again.

Do you find it unnecessary or distracting? My thought is it helps direct your eyes to the player immediately and not having an absurd pause, but I'm also creating this with the intent of it being helpful and useful to the audience.

I might still roll this video out like this, because maybe seeing it in action would be helpful, but wanted to get some sentiment as well.

BTW, before anyone asks, I just moved onto Michael Hage as a random player to make a video of. No inside info. Though obviously with where he's ranked, he might be someone LA has their sights on.
Great stuff KP. I’d find it very useful.

Reactions: King'sPawn

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA

Looks good but maybe putting a red circle or arrow pointing at the player might help with the pausing

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
big guys that dont play big shouldn't get any special consideration

i was big on the Dean train at first but realized he's softer than PLD, makes Bjugstad look like Mean Joe Greene
Under DT there were so many picks where the player would never in a million years have been considered if he were 2-3 inches shorter, this continued a bit with DL too, looking at using top half of first round picks on guys like Teubert and Forbort.

I'll give Blake credit, he has tried to find his jumbo sized guys outside of round 1 (Helenius, Dvorak Lee), the only huge dude he has used a 1st on is QB, and he had production in junior that warranted being picked where he was. Unfortunately for Blake, almost all of his under 6'1 guys have blown up in his face.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Under DT there were so many picks where the player would never in a million years have been considered if he were 2-3 inches shorter, this continued a bit with DL too, looking at using top half of first round picks on guys like Teubert and Forbort.

I'll give Blake credit, he has tried to find his jumbo sized guys outside of round 1 (Helenius, Dvorak Lee), the only huge dude he has used a 1st on is QB, and he had production in junior that warranted being picked where he was. Unfortunately for Blake, almost all of his under 6'1 guys have blown up in his face.
In the year leading up to his draft there were scouts in The Hockey News that were touting Teubert as a top 5 pick with untapped offensive potential. He wasn't a reach in his draft position, but it's fair to say with hindsight that the plateau he hit in his draft year was a wall and not a speed bump.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
In the year leading up to his draft there were scouts in The Hockey News that were touting Teubert as a top 5 pick with untapped offensive potential. He wasn't a reach in his draft position, but it's fair to say with hindsight that the plateau he hit in his draft year was a wall and not a speed bump.
I don't remember that ranking about Teubert. He was just always touted as tough.

Nick Ebert was a consensus top-5 pick in his D-1 who the Kings took in the 7th round. His offensive potential was praised. Could it have been him?

Randomly, it is pretty funny the Kings took a Teubert, an Ebert, and a Forbort.

• Haha
Reactions: Statto

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I don't remember that ranking about Teubert. He was just always touted as tough.

Nick Ebert was a consensus top-5 pick in his D-1 who the Kings took in the 7th round. His offensive potential was praised. Could it have been him?

Randomly, it is pretty funny the Kings took a Teubert, an Ebert, and a Forbort
Nope, the comparison used was "could be Scott Stevens but with untapped offensive potential". It's from the back of the draft issue where they discuss the top prospects for the following draft in their D-2 years.

You get a scout that thinks that and believes in a kid despite a blip, and you have yourself a recipe for a pick that doesn't pan out.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017

Randomly, it is pretty funny the Kings took a Teubert, an Ebert, and a Forbort.
Some scout was a Qbert fan?

• Haha

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Nope, the comparison used was "could be Scott Stevens but with untapped offensive potential". It's from the back of the draft issue where they discuss the top prospects for the following draft in their D-2 years.

You get a scout that thinks that and believes in a kid despite a blip, and you have yourself a recipe for a pick that doesn't pan out.
Cool, never saw that one, thanks for the clarity.

D-2 is pretty absurd for any scout to make that claim. Heck, I'd have a hard time making that claim at D+2.

I still remember a non-scout commenting about Teubert during dev camp that he had NHL-level skating already. I was only excited about Teubert when I read about him. I only remember getting underwhelmed the more I saw him.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
my favorite line was "Forbort is twice as good as Teubert"

see cus 4 is twice as good as 2 and yes Forbort was way better than Teubert but at the time we didn't know by how much...
I would have tried to make a joke about how much better E was better than 2 and 4 but I didn't know how long I'd be shoved in a locker.

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
06092024.jpg

PuckPedia just added a draft pick valuation tool.

According to it, the 21st OA would be roughly worth a high 2nd, mid 2nd, and high 3rd.

I'd probably take that trade honestly.

I'd do it, when the pick is on the clock and the player(s) they were hoping for, are taken. I think the last few years, the Kings are finding good players in rds 2-5. To do it before they are on the clock....what if someone at 14 on their list fell to 21. They would be miffed.

KP - nice video of Hage. Well done, with the highlight. Nice to see other draft eligibles in the video. Hage has such a wide stance...like 2 full feet...as opposed to PLD's 1 foot. I think PLD would be better served with a wider stance and bending some. I am not sure if Hage's skating style is a detriment, but he does skate well...better than Boisvert and others I've watched. I read Hage ramped up his PPG after Jan 1. I think he'll be gone by 21.

I think 3 or 4 of Hage, Luchanko, Boisvert, Hemming, Chernyshov, Emory, Solberg, Stiga will be available at 21.
I saw Jett Luchanko was 5'11" 187 at the combine...bigger than the 5'10"175 former listings. I think he would be a great pick. Had a good combine and was #1 in scoring in Guelph. Had a good U18 with 7 pts in 7 games. Seems to have the compete and drive the Kings like. He was rising up the charts the last few months and after a good U18 showing.

"""As soon as he steps on the ice, Luchanko increases the pace of the game two-fold. One second, he’s on the heel of an opponent carrying the puck in the neutral zone, and the next, he’s piercing right through the opposing formation with the puck on his own stick. His speed makes him a retrieval and pressure machine. -EliteProspects 2024 NHL Draft Guide"""

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
my favorite line was "Forbort is twice as good as Teubert"

see cus 4 is twice as good as 2 and yes Forbort was way better than Teubert but at the time we didn't know by how much...
I always thought if you tried to multiply 0 the answer was always 0.

Yeah, #1 pick in his bantam draft, but a lot can change from 15 to pro. The crazy thing about Teubert is that it was basically over a year after he was picked. I remember arguing with a few people on this forum at the time about it, but the Kings sending him to the ECHL was game, set, match on his NHL career. I don't think a there has ever been a non-goalie first rounder who has played in the ECHL and ended up having an NHL career. That was one of a couple of crazy facts on Teubert, the other one that he was a 1st rounder who was not only not given a qualifying offer coming out of his ELC by his own team, but he wasn't picked up by anybody else and ended up in a second-tier European league before retiring. I think a strong case can be made that Teubert was the worst first round pick in NHL history (based on playing ability). At least for him he was able to get some NHL game-checks from the Oilers who were desperately trying to lose as many games as possible to increase their lottery odds. I assume Dean must have known right away, from the first rookie camp and into training camp that he made a massive mistake.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

So, I haven't used Redline in a while. And this shit is why. These are kids with a dream. And families who root for them.

I know there are times I'm not as critical or seem like I give fluff analyses, but calling prospects "tin men, scarecrows, and cowardly lions" is just small-dick energy. And politics aside, saying a player "plays with the amount of passion as Melania Trump exhibits standing next to that scrotum dipped in cheeto's dust" is utter trash.

So, when I write my articles, I'll put in areas of improvement. Because in the event one of them reads my articles, I want them to try to improve, and to hear they're not perfect. But the goal isn't to humiliate or make them the butt end of your own tacky jokes.

Just want to give context to why emotional intelligence is so important to writing these pieces.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

So, I haven't used Redline in a while. And this shit is why. These are kids with a dream. And families who root for them.

I know there are times I'm not as critical or seem like I give fluff analyses, but calling prospects "tin men, scarecrows, and cowardly lions" is just small-dick energy. And politics aside, saying a player "plays with the amount of passion as Melania Trump exhibits standing next to that scrotum dipped in cheeto's dust" is utter trash.

So, when I write my articles, I'll put in areas of improvement. Because in the event one of them reads my articles, I want them to try to improve, and to hear they're not perfect. But the goal isn't to humiliate or make them the butt end of your own tacky jokes.

Just want to give context to why emotional intelligence is so important to writing these pieces.

It’s cheap lazy writing aimed at a specific audience that also has low emotional intelligence. Those read it regularly probably get excited by the insults and can’t wait to share it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad