GDT: 2024 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Love the pick love the identity steve is going for.

Id love for us to trade up to get Sam O'Rielly he'd provide a ton of playmaking skill we really need.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
After reading a bit on MBN, I actually like the pick a lot. He seems like a modern powerforward type. I'm not sure if he'll be a big offensive player, but if he's a 50-60 point guy that plays a big game and contributes significant performances when the game actually matters, I'll be happy about it.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I will definitely take MBN! I like his upside and projectability over Hage/Eiserman/Connolly

Not a future 3rd liner lol come on. He's got a legit upside as a two-way 2nd line possession monster who scores goals around the goal mouth and from distance. Very overlooked offensive game in general but I love that he's a legit shooting threat

Fits the mould of hard working, 2-way, smart, great skating that Detroit has had an eye on especially over in the European pros. Hope he hits! Important thing is that he will develop under the radar without having to be relied on

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Not when they're playing against men. If he played in juniors all year his scoring upside would be far more obvious.
One thing I don't like about drafting out of the European men's leagues with mid-first and later picks is that a lot of these guys never take the next step offensively (like Kasper).

Like you said, at least the scoring touch is obvious in the developmental leagues.

He at least had a decent showing at the WJC and WC, but I can't find the game logs to find out if he manages anything against decent teams.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
After reading a bit on MBN, I actually like the pick a lot. He seems like a modern powerforward type. I'm not sure if he'll be a big offensive player, but if he's a 50-60 point guy that plays a big game and contributes significant performances when the game actually matters, I'll be happy about it.
Kasper and MBN could be the core of a nice line in the future.

Reactions: jfrank21

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Considering the amount of teams passing on Connelly. Teams aren't convinced he's a changed person.
I have no idea why the WWP guys were talking him up as an option at 15.

One thing I don't like about drafting out of the European men's leagues with mid-first and later picks is that a lot of these guys never take the next step offensively (like Kasper).
"Like Kasper", dude he's 20. Not saying everyone will pan out, but you can't judge them so early.

For example, Eriksson Ek is someone we might compare a Kasper/MBN to. Took him time, but now at 26-27 he's a 60+ point two-way center with a name that comes up in Selke conversations. We drafted a high-scoring junior guy one pick earlier that year. People were happy, and would have probably disliked an Eriksson Ek pick.

Give it time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Henkka

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
I would have loved Eiserman too for the record.

A for the name
B the skill

But I do not dislike this 75 character last name at all. He projects to be a damn good player.

Let's not forget how many people slept on guys like kucherov, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

At 15 a 50-60 point guy is a hell of a pick. It's just that some people here expect everyone up to pick 32 in the draft to be "high upside" and a surefire 85 point guy just because they tore up the juniors where their skating deficiencies could be hidden and where there's no structure to worry about so cherry picking is OK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad