2024 Draft Discussion

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
If you're being honest with yourself, that's probably his upper range. His low side is Christian Fischer, provided he makes it at all.
Still you are yet to accept, that Daniel Sprong is upper for Eiserman, i don't trust your judgement of prespects ;)

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Yeah, same. And I get your overall point. I went from having Fischer late first to start the year to like very late second or third round to end the year. Probably wouldn’t have him a top 50 player. I just think relatively speaking he’s shown a heck of a lot more than Cleveland as far as offense goes. But that’s a super low bar in my eyes.

The issue with Cleveland isn’t what he is, it’s just where he was taken. Picking a kicker in your fantasy football draft is fine, taking one in the second round will get you laughed at.

There are quite a few big defensemen I could see Detroit being tempted to take - Fischer, Skahan, Kleber to name a few. Could also see them liking Colton Roberts from the WHL.

That’s fair. My issue with Cleveland was where he was selected as I really liked some of the forwards available. This draft I don’t see the same quality depth into the 2nd round.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Still you are yet to accept, that Daniel Sprong is upper for Eiserman, i don't trust your judgement of prespects ;)
I'm not here claiming Jeff Skinner for his low end. His low end is Taro Hirose or insert other AHL allstar. But if Eiserman hits, he'll hit way bigger than Sprong.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
If you're being honest with yourself, that's probably his upper range. His low side is Christian Fischer, provided he makes it at all.

Then he wouldn’t have a first round grade. Saying a top 15 prospect has 20-20 potential isn’t crazy at all.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Then he wouldn’t have a first round grade. Saying a top 15 prospect has 20-20 potential isn’t crazy at all.
Saying that that is their floor certainly is. Many a mid-first round prospect turn into nothing. If MBN truly had a 20-20 floor, he wouldn't be available when we pick.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I liked Dellandrea , but now that #13 pick was traded for 4th. You never know about those mid first , wait we got Zadina at 6 same draft

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
That’s where I was thinking of setting it.

I really want to see where he comes in on Bob’s final list, but I may cave into peer pressure beforehand…. lol

giphy.gif

Reactions: Frk It

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think Eiserman will be closer to Zadina than Pastranak.

Quite sure Zadina would not have been even near of those NTDP goal records. He had 40 at weak QMJHL, where guy like Mantha potted 50 and 57-goal seasons.

I don't even know how high the QMJHL records are. Maybe Lemieux's 133 goals?

Eiserman is at same class with Matthews-level of goal-scoring with that NTDP record, for christ sakes.

Also very disappointing, how people in here can't think what the player could develop. Only seeing what he is now.

Yes, he is one-dimensional. But so has been many good scorers, and they developed their game by time.

Also Cole Eiserman will develop as a hockeyplayer. Surprise.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Quite sure Zadina would not have been even near of those NTDP goal records. He had 40 at weak QMJHL, where guy like Mantha potted 50 and 57-goal seasons.

Eiserman is at same class with Matthews-level of goal-scoring with that NTDP record, for christ sakes.

Also very disappointing, how people in here can't think what the player could develop. Only seeing what he is now.

Yes, he is one-dimensional. But so has been many good scorers, and they developed their game by time.

Id take Stiga before Eiserman . Better get line driver, not passenger. Also I I ve been hearing some not so good stuff about him, so no to Conley, Eiserman and probably Greentree

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I haven't really seen much of Cherynshov play but I get Podkolzin or Chinakhov vibes. Straight line winger with decent hands and a heavy shot. Not seeing a whole lot in the hockey sense/IQ department. Maybe he becomes a 25-20 guy?

Are you saying that straightforward players have inherently lower hockey IQ? I don't buy that link.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
MBN and Chernyshov are pretty 1:1, no?

Don’t think I’ve read a scouting report for one that didn’t sound like it could be for the other one.

Last edited:
Reactions: wings95

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I haven't really seen much of Cherynshov play but I get Podkolzin or Chinakhov vibes. Straight line winger with decent hands and a heavy shot. Not seeing a whole lot in the hockey sense/IQ department. Maybe he becomes a 25-20 guy?
I think he is a strong skater for his size. very fluent and natural. No stiff hips like you sometimes see with bigger players.

His anticipation of the play and recognition of his assignment looks pretty good to me. I think his IQ seems fine if not a plus.

I’d be a little concerned about his shot. Does have serious drive to get to the net and scoring areas. Probably projects as a straight line winger if he makes it. But he did show some intricate skills when he was playing In MHL games. So open for interpretation. But not considered his strong suit.

Reactions: wings95 and Frk It

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Are you saying that straightforward players have inherently lower hockey IQ? I don't buy that link.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that his scouting reports all read as 'needs to work on creativity and playmaking. Sometimes does too much with the puck.' And from what I've watched in clips that seems pretty accurate. He's beating junior level and sized defenders that are much smaller head on. That's not going to happen as often at the NHL level.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
MBN and Chernyshov are pretty 1:1, no?

Don’t think I’ve read a scouting report for one that didn’t sound exactly like it could be for the other one.

No.

They're similar size but MBN is a better skater and has a way better shot. He's also more active defensively while scouting reports talk about Cherynshov being OK defensively but waiting to capitalize on mistakes by opposition when they're in Cherynshov's end. Chernyshov may also have a power forward build and plays a to-the-net game, but is not reported to be physical in the corners the same way MBN is.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
No.

They're similar size but MBN is a better skater and has a way better shot. He's also more active defensively while scouting reports talk about Cherynshov being OK defensively but waiting to capitalize on mistakes by opposition when they're in Cherynshov's end. Chernyshov may also have a power forward build and plays a to-the-net game, but is not reported to be physical in the corners the same way MBN is.
This is a very detailed comparison from someone who claims they have not really watched the prospect.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
This is a very detailed comparison from someone who claims they have not really watched the prospect.

I've been reading scouting reports and watching some film on Chernyshov today. His shot is considerably weaker than MBN's.

I'm not saying he's a do not draft, but he's not one of my 5 favorites for our pick. It's the difference between a guy that's ranked in or near the top 10, and a guy that's in the 20-30 range. There's a definite difference in quality.

Badass highlight pack !
Over-Ager, But I can see why some are steaming him up to the early 2nd round.

His feet look sooo bad.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
The more I think about it, the more I'm set on Luchanko being my guy I hope we get. There is so much to like there between his skating, hockey IQ, and work ethic. He's well spoken as well from what I've seen from the combine. I think he is the type of player who can really explode in his development starting next year. I was thinking of Robert Thomas as a comparable draft year wise and went back and read some scouting reports on Thomas. You could copy and paste what was said about Thomas to Luchanko and nobody would notice a difference. Same compliments and concerns as well as both being on the younger side for the draft. I think there is decently high upside along with a high floor with Luchanko.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018

Learn to read bud I never said that Eiserman is Zadina 2.0 more that he's closer to Zadina than Pastranak.

Pastranak is an absolute stud and if Eiserman reaches that level that good for him, but I just dont see it.

I dont see the overall athleticism in Eiserman's makeup to see him develop as a hockeyplayer. Which is what majorily held back Zadina's NHL career.

USNTDP records dont mean anything to me, those kids are put in an artificial development space they should go out and kill it offensively.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The more I think about it, the more I'm set on Luchanko being my guy I hope we get. There is so much to like there between his skating, hockey IQ, and work ethic. He's well spoken as well from what I've seen from the combine. I think he is the type of player who can really explode in his development starting next year. I was thinking of Robert Thomas as a comparable draft year wise and went back and read some scouting reports on Thomas. You could copy and paste what was said about Thomas to Luchanko and nobody would notice a difference. Same compliments and concerns as well as both being on the younger side for the draft. I think there is decently high upside along with a high floor with Luchanko.
I’ve been thinking the same.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
I listened to the Winged Wheel podcast today while working (pretty painful listening to Brad harp on about how Detroit needs scoring more than anything, of all things...) but they talked a bit about Helenius. He has the look of someone that would be a top 5 pick if he was 6 feet tall but I think his size is going to make him a faller.

I see a lot of "right-place-right-time" in his game from the shift by shift video. A really solid understanding and awareness of where all players are on the ice at the time. And he is really good at protecting the puck. As @jaster would say, high panic threshold. I think he could stick at center despite being 5'10" and excel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Holden Caufield

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad