GDT: 2024 Draft Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
gotta say i'm really not crazy about overagers in general

that's more of a general philosophy thing than something specific to this pick though

if only they were willing to do so with their first pick

I'd be pretty happy if we drafted a player in the 3rd round who two years later, is a 6'1 two-way center with 96 points in 58 WHL games as well as 10 points in 7 WJC games. I get hesitancy for overagers, but by the numbers Becher really seemed to take a massive step this year.

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
Yzerman was hired in April 2019. Our best season was missing the playoffs on the last day. No one would have been happy with this in 2024 if asked then....

In April 2019 no one could've predicted a pandemic incoming. Certain players on the core at the time not really being good enough or players previously drafted in the years before being busts.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'm happy with the Becher pick. The fact that he's a double overager obviously isn't the best, but it seems like he has a lot to his game and has progressed nicely. I feel like his projection is a lot easier than most players going in this range.
Yzerman was hired in April 2019. Our best season was missing the playoffs on the last day. No one would have been happy with this in 2024 if asked then....
Believe it or not, I would have been cool with it as long as the team is showing signs of future contention. As things have gone... I'm iffy. We've improved a lot, erased a lot of problems in the organization and the future is much brighter now than 5 years ago. We've also made enough mistakes along the way that I'm certainly no thrilled. I don't see "contender trajectory" unless some of our prospects significantly outperform my expectations for them. That's the biggest problem. I have an easy time projecting our second and third lines. I still have no idea who is going to be on the first line besides Raymond

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I'd be pretty happy if we drafted a player in the 3rd round who two years later, is a 6'1 two-way center with 96 points in 58 WHL games as well as 10 points in 7 WJC games. I get hesitancy for overagers, but by the numbers Becher really seemed to take a massive step this year.

yeah I guess that's fair, it was also only his second season in North America so last year he was adjusting to that then had a jump this year when he was more used to it

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Becher is a steal in the 3rd Round.

Seen him play a ton. He came to North America as a C and struggled his first year. Didn’t get drafted. They moved him to wing before this year started, to take the responsibility and pressure off of him, and he immediately became one of the best players in the entire WHL.

He was a dominant player. With all re-entry players though, teams get skeptical. I think he’s different because of the circumstances on coming over from Europe. It’s not easy.

This kid can flat out play and play with power.

Yzerman also watched him play a lot too. Especially in the playoffs vs Portland. I’m gonna guess they almost took him at 47th overall. I’d almost bet that was the delay. 3rd round is also pretty high for a re-entry, so this kid has a ton of potential too.

Not sure he ever moves back to C though. If he returns to Junior, Detroit may make that part of the deal with Prince George. Let’s see him move back to C and see what happens. If not, he’s ready to turn pro. Very rare for a 3rd Rounder to be this ready.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Becher is a steal in the 3rd Round.

Seen him play a ton. He came to North America as a C and struggled his first year. Didn’t get drafted. They moved him to wing before this year started, to take the responsibility and pressure off of him, and he immediately became one of the best players in the entire WHL.

He was a dominant player. With all re-entry players though, teams get skeptical. I think he’s different because of the circumstances on coming over from Europe. It’s not easy.

This kid can flat out play and play with power.

Yzerman also watched him play a lot too. Especially in the playoffs vs Portland. I’m gonna guess they almost took him at 47th overall. I’d almost bet that was the delay. 3rd round is also pretty high for a re-entry, so this kid has a ton of potential too.

Not sure he ever moves back to C though. If he returns to Junior, Detroit may make that part of the deal with Prince George. Let’s see him move back to C and see what happens. If not, he’s ready to turn pro. Very rare for a 3rd Rounder to be this ready.
He's two months older than Marco Kasper.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He's two months older than Marco Kasper.
Yep. Marco was very young. Are you suggesting he only dominated cause he’s older?

Becher didn’t dominate like an overager. He’s a legit, legit prospect who drives pace. It’s why he’s drafted so high. He’s not just some big finisher who uses his physical abilities to dominate younger players like a Stefan for example. Still has a Junior season left as well.

He can flat out play, but there are always concerns with re-entry players. That’s why he lasted till the 3rd round.

Like I said, you can’t make a better pick at 80th overall, ceiling wise.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

If they told me we have one of the best prospect pools in the league, tons of cap space, Raymond and Seider were some of the best players taken in their respective drafts (despite not winning draft lottery), and showed me this chart... I'd be FREAKIN ecstatic!

You have unrealistic expectations. If you live your daily life like your attitude portrays on here, then I feel soooo bad for you!

Attachments

• yzerman.png
    yzerman.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 3

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yep. Marco was very young. Are you suggesting he only dominated cause he’s older?

Becher didn’t dominate like an overager. He’s a legit, legit prospect who drives pace. It’s why he’s drafted so high. He’s not just some big finisher who uses his physical abilities to dominate younger players like a Stefan for example. Still has a Junior season left as well.

He can flat out play, but there are always concerns with re-entry players. That’s why he lasted till the 3rd round.

Like I said, you can’t make a better pick at 80th overall, ceiling wise.
No, I'm saying raving about a 3rd rounder being pro ready is odd considering he's older than a kid we drafted two years ago. That's dislocating your shoulder levels of self back-slapping...

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $175.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2