Prospect Info: 2024 80th Overall Ondřej Becher

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'd hope a 20 year old could dominate 16 year olds.

Couldn't we have just waited a couple more days and signed him as a free agent (I honestly don't know).

Just an underwhelming pick in my eyes.
Dude it was his 19 year old season.

He's 2 weeks older than Conor Geekie, 11th overall in 2022, who scored 3 more points in 3 games less.

~2 months older than Kulich, ~6 months older than Danielson, ~8 months older than Honzek.

Very similar profile to Ondrej Palat who was taken in the 7th round as an overager.

This is a fantastic pick imo and exactly the types of guys we should be looking for.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
On a completely unrelated note to the last several posts, I finally utilized the Ignore function. Looking forward to a much more enjoyable board experience!
It was draft time last year I embraced the ignore option. It has brought tranquility to my HFBoards existence.

As far as the pick, I generally don't care if they would pick Al Sobotka after pick #50. Becher is kind of intriguing though. This is a lower pick I'll give attention too.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I just want you to be aware that not every junior scoring phenom ends up an NHL scoring phenom.

Like…very few actually do.

I think you need to watch some videos before you go any further.

The more I watch this kid, the more I like the pick. Overagers are always hard to judge, but he's got decent skating, good puck handling, and an extremely deceptive release on his shots. He shows excellent hockey IQ playing center in the WJC video.

I would be surprised if he doesn't play in GR next season, speaking of which....

Danielson, Kasper, Brandsegg-Nygard, Sandin-Pellikka, Mazur, Buchelnikov, and Lombardi can all score and pass better than Becher

You really don't deserve any success that the Red Wings will have

Just one twitter highlight video has you sold over two top 10 picks... Lmao man why don't you just go cheer for Anaheim or Chicago or Montreal
You'll get a direct comparison next season in GR with Kasper, Mazur, Lombardi, and Danielson. I doubt any of them start the season in Detroit, and I bet this kid outscores all except Danielson.

• Love
Reactions: heyfolks

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
People really are never happy. They took a chance on a high skill guy in the 3rd round. Could be a steal. wtf is there to be upset about? What superstars did we pass on in the 3rd lol?

For sure, and some of the people who are upset are the same ones saying overage 3rd round pick Mazur should be on the Wings roster this season, lol.

3rd round and later, it's pretty much a crap shoot, and I like this roll.

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
Finally got around to watching highlights and this game tape ()

Big fan of the pick. All the tools are there from decent skating, a nice shot, good hands, decent playmaking, plays both PP and PK well, not undersized and uses his frame well. Could project as a C if he keeps improving his footspeed (not that he's a bad skater but I'd like to see more pace at the C position). Dezainde was the burner on his line and helped open up space.

The simplest way to look at it for me is to pretend we took him 80th overall in the 2022 draft. If the only info I had post draft was that for his D+2 year he put up 96 points in 58 regular season games and 19 points in 15 playoff games, while being tied for 4th in points at the WJC (with Ostlund and Lekkerimaki from the same draft), I'd call this a very good pick.

Compare him to Lombardi 22/23 season (relative to age, it's equivalent to Becher's season this year). Becher>Lombardi P/G but on a better team. To make it an equal comparison, this would be like if we drafted Lombardi in the 3rd round ~after~ he put up his 100 point season.

Reactions: Murmansk16A

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
People really are never happy. They took a chance on a high skill guy in the 3rd round. Could be a steal. wtf is there to be upset about? What superstars did we pass on in the 3rd lol?
Well, if you were around when Mazur was picked you know how much people here will tie themselves in a knot over a long shot pick. I mean, there were hundreds of hate posts when Keenan Draper was picked in the 7th round.

Austrianwing

Apr 29, 2021
Dude it was his 19 year old season.

He's 2 weeks older than Conor Geekie, 11th overall in 2022, who scored 3 more points in 3 games less.

~2 months older than Kulich, ~6 months older than Danielson, ~8 months older than Honzek.

Very similar profile to Ondrej Palat who was taken in the 7th round as an overager.

This is a fantastic pick imo and exactly the types of guys we should be looking for.
Not to mention, the WHL isn't exactly comprised of mostly 16 year olds... Average age is closer to 19 than 18, much less 16. Elite Prospects - Team Comparison in WHL

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I'm curious to see what they'll do with Becher for next year. I think I'd like to see him play in the SHL for a year.
Indeed but he don't have a chance making any SHL team, Liiga or Allsvenskan would be more suitable. I brought up this earlier, Mora in Allsvenskan and HPK in Liiga would be quite ideal locations. Mora could "replace" MBN with Becher and Forslund signed with them too and coach over there seems trust young players. Kiiskinen plays in HPK and it's a poor team, good oppurtunity to grab a big role.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Indeed but he don't have a chance making any SHL team, Liiga or Allsvenskan would be more suitable. I brought up this earlier, Mora in Allsvenskan and HPK in Liiga would be quite ideal locations. Mora could "replace" MBN with Becher and Forslund signed with them too and coach over there seems trust young players. Kiiskinen plays in HPK and it's a poor team, good oppurtunity to grab a big role.

If there's no room for him in the SHL I think I'd rather see us throw him right into the AHL. Maybe there's a spot at 3C with the Griffins.

And if that's setting him up for failure, start him on the Walleyes. When the Wings call up Danielson mid-season after some Ottawa turd injures Larkin's neck, a spot in Grand Rapids will open up for Becher.

This seems like a perfect 3rd round pick -- will probably peter out like most 3rd round picks but this guy has big potential upside. If he adds 10 pounds of muscle and has one great full season in the AHL I could see this guy being the big club's 3C in 26-27.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
If there's no room for him in the SHL I think I'd rather see us throw him right into the AHL. Maybe there's a spot at 3C with the Griffins.

And if that's setting him up for failure, start him on the Walleyes. When the Wings call up Danielson mid-season after some Ottawa turd injures Larkin's neck, a spot in Grand Rapids will open up for Becher.
I don't see a spot in GR but Toledo is possible, just like i said earlier, let GR sign Becher and start him Toledo. Like Wings did with Tyutyayev. Pretty much anything is better than going back to juniors, as long as there is a lot of ice time available.

Reactions: Run the Jewels

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I don't get it .is 17 years old Raymond was better than 20 years old Becher

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I don't get it .is 17 years old Raymond was better than 20 years old Becher
Well.... yes. And the difference also is that Raymond was Frölunda's product, they knew what they had. Becher comes from outside any organization over there, not a single GM/Sports director in SHL gonna pencil Becher in their line up just because Wings picked him.

His WHL & U20 WJC numbers show that he is done with junior hockey but he is totally unproven in pro hockey. 19 Czechia league-2 games under his belt and 3 points in those but granted Becher is a late bloomer.

Allsvenskan, Liiga or ECHL, those are good places to start. Very interesting to see what they come up, all the above has it's perks. In Sweden/Finland, Kronwall is close and in ECHL, if he gets a good start and when GR has injuries he might be able to carve out a big role in AHL soon. If he plays well.

Reactions: OldnotDeadWings

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Well.... yes. And the difference also is that Raymond was Frölunda's product, they knew what they had. Becher comes from outside any organization over there, not a single GM/Sports director in SHL gonna pencil Becher in their line up just because Wings picked him.

His WHL & U20 WJC numbers show that he is done with junior hockey but he is totally unproven in pro hockey. 19 Czechia league-2 games under his belt and 3 points in those but granted Becher is a late bloomer.

Allsvenskan, Liiga or ECHL, those are good places to start. Very interesting to see what they come up, all the above has it's perks. In Sweden/Finland, Kronwall is close and in ECHL, if he gets a good start and when GR has injuries he might be able to carve out a big role in AHL soon. If he plays well.
I am very impressed with Becher. He seems like complete 200 feet player. Physically he is strong enough to play pro. I like to see him play with more skilled players and it's not ECHL. Pretty much he should be in the same place as Danielson

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
I’m good with this pick. It’s the 3rd round, kid seems to flash some upside, so go for it. Don’t care that he’s an overager, if he’s outperforming kids in his class who were drafted fairly high 2 years ago then I don’t see the problem.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I am very impressed with Becher. He seems like complete 200 feet player. Physically he is strong enough to play pro. I like to see him play with more skilled players and it's not ECHL. Pretty much he should be in the same place as Danielson
He is pro ready, no doubt about that. But i don't see a point to put him in the 4th line with Seger and Gettinger, since the other spots are crowded and GR line up is already filled with many 1st-2nd year pro's. They are trying to win, they need the veterans too.

Snively - Kasper - Mazur
Dries - Danielson - Söderblom
Rychlovsky - Lombardi - Shine
Johannes - Seger - Gettinger
Hanas

In Toledo Becher could play with Brandon Hawkins, who scored 93 points(most points in the league) last season and was ECHL MVP. Many top ECHL scorers are effective players in Europe, it's not a no skill-league. In ECHL Becher could play massive minutes, work on that center game and gain confidence, he gets called up eventually if he is playing well.

After the next season two, if not all three of Kasper, Danielson, Mazur could be in Detroit. Then there will be spots open in GR and how conveniently, those 3 players up in Detroit and that opens up 3 spots for Becher, MBN, Savage. And if Söderblom bolts back to Europe and Gettinger is left unsigned and Hanas is dropped off to Bustville bus station, that opens 2-3 spots for James and Finnie.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

There is nothing wrong picking this individual, from 2022 draft class. He could be a great pick, and a great late-bloomer.

Just tells how weak this 2024 group is overall, when you already take overagers on the 3rd round. Like, they don't expected there was much 2024 talent left after the 3rd round.

Problem is not Becher, it's the 2024 class.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad