Prospect Info: 2024 80th Overall Ondřej Becher

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Like Whipple a lot. Not necessarily to become some great NHL player, but he’s one of those kids you cheer for because he’s not the biggest guy in the world but thinks he is. He was a smaller player a few years ago, but still played with that edge. Your typical 5th rounder. Has some tools but needs to round out his game to play in the NHL. He’s definitely skilled enough to play pro hockey one day.

These are the kinds of kids you draft later in the draft, and hope they develop that next level.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't hate this pick, we'll see how he does in GR next season.

I mean if the Wings had picked him last season with a late rounder, everyone would be ecstatic to have a kid that scored 96 pts in 58 games in the W, even if he is 20 (Feb birthday).

Plus the talent pool seems a bit thin this draft.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Love the development arc here! Becher seems to really have that pro feel where he'll plug into a bottom 6 and be a "systems darling"

Great swing on the 80th pick, future shutdown 3C here? Great size on him, just put on some muscle and we hopefully hit on our 3rd here

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Very intriguing pick, he has to go pro next season but where? GR, Toledo or Europe? I think couple years in Liiga would do him good. Perhaps HPK would take him, he would have a good chance to take a big role and maybe play in the same line with Kiiskinen. Build some chemistry there.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Watch these highlights and tell me if we have a single prospect who can score like this, including Danielson and Kasper. Neither put up highlights like this in junior.

Danielson, Kasper, Brandsegg-Nygard, Sandin-Pellikka, Mazur, Buchelnikov, and Lombardi can all score and pass better than Becher

You really don't deserve any success that the Red Wings will have

Just one twitter highlight video has you sold over two top 10 picks... Lmao man why don't you just go cheer for Anaheim or Chicago or Montreal

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The only concern with Becher was he played alongside guys like Terik Parascak, Riley Heidt and Zac Funk, so how much was he driving the offense or was he the beneficiary of good linemates or softer competition? He had a great World Juniors tournament which suggests the offense may translate as he continues to face tougher competition so that's a big positive.

I'm not trying to bag on the guy at all and it sounds like his defensive game is exceptional and that's something that will help him in his quest to earn a pro contract.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan

Danielson, Kasper, Brandsegg-Nygard, Sandin-Pellikka, Mazur, Buchelnikov, and Lombardi can all score and pass better than Becher

You really don't deserve any success that the Red Wings will have

Just one twitter highlight video has you sold over two top 10 picks... Lmao man why don't you just go cheer for Anaheim or Chicago or Montreal
Well I’m sorry if I get hyped seeing a player with a ton of flash like that. ASP you’re right, but the other players you’ve mentioned, I haven’t seen that level of offensive flair and that includes Danielson and Kasper.

And sorry yes, I absolutely don’t deserve any of the success post 2010 we’ve all enjoyed.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Watch these highlights and tell me if we have a single prospect who can score like this, including Danielson and Kasper. Neither put up highlights like this in junior.

I'd hope a 20 year old could dominate 16 year olds.

Couldn't we have just waited a couple more days and signed him as a free agent (I honestly don't know).

Just an underwhelming pick in my eyes.

Reactions: Shaman464

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
I wouldn't count on any of the PG Cougars' top scorers becoming good NHLers, including the first-rounder Parascak. Heidt was their best overall player and he's a fringe third-liner at the next level. None of the PG players were as impactful as Danielson in that Conference final series. They played in a really weak division with a loaded older lineup and got beat by a slightly more loaded even older Portland team. Experience and physical maturity counts for a lot in the CHL. Players on dominant teams get ample opportunities to put up big numbers and great highlights against overmatched, younger, weaker teams full of future Canadian university players and salesmen.

What makes Becher interesting is how he played for Czech U20, often looking better than Sale for instance. The C/W versatility, acceptable size and skating and attention to defense give him a chance. I wouldn't hold the double-overager aspect against him, less than a year older than a lot of D+1 guys. But it does result in being somewhat overlooked and unfair Draft downgrades, so Becher might be a bit of a steal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad