Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
a good 3 years away? I don't agree with that. I won't be surprised to see him play in the NHL full time next year. Kid turns 19 on September 29 so if he plays full time NHL next year, he's playing as a 20 year old. That's not uncommon at all for high draft picks. And having the size really helps in that regard.
I dont think he is a physically mature 18 year old though, he's growing into his body still from what I have seen. I think he may finish the year next season but a full year in the AHL wont be bad for him either. He needs to get quicker and stronger, we want this player to maximize his potential no reason to rush him. He has alot to learn from what I have seen. Small things that should be natural, like running interference for his partner or not puck watching as much in the d zone. Stuff that is all teachable and coachable which is why I really believe they should take their time with him. I think he's a project with undeniable upside. How good he gets will be on the organization and how much work he puts in.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
It's promising. But one decent preseason game and a highlight real goal doesn't mean all that much.

Consistency is what makes a decent player into a great one. Kid has a lot to prove.

It's exciting for sure tho

It's true but he needed a little positive attention. Since the surprisingly high draft spot and the poor rookie tournament outing by the organization (which wasn't his fault), he's had more than his fair share of the twitter peanut gallery dumping on him.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
a good 3 years away? I don't agree with that. I won't be surprised to see him play in the NHL full time next year. Kid turns 19 on September 29 so if he plays full time NHL next year, he's playing as a 20 year old. That's not uncommon at all for high draft picks. And having the size really helps in that regard.

We're not a bottom 5 team anymore. And we shouldn't be rushing prospects.

There's nothing wrong with giving him a good year and a half (or more) in the AHL before full time duty in the NHL. In the long run, it's the best thing for him.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

There's nothing wrong with giving him a good year and a half (or more) in the AHL before full time duty in the NHL. In the long run, it's the best thing for him.
Sens are gonna need cheap ELC to fill in. Doubt he doesn't make it for 3 years.

Reactions: Dionysus

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
It's promising. But one decent preseason game and a highlight real goal doesn't mean all that much.

Consistency is what makes a decent player into a great one. Kid has a lot to prove.

It's exciting for sure tho

the thing is even without the consistency he has the talent to be a game breaker. his tools are incredible.

At worst we're getting a big physical bottom pair rd with dangles and a cannon.

Who knows what at best?

//

Also does anyone else think his skating is better than Brady's at the same age?

Last edited:

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
I hope he gets dealt to Medicine Hat that team is an absolute wagon. Mckenna, Lindstrom, Basha that pp could be a top 5 NHL power play in a few years.

Why dont you think he will? The 3 RD spot is about the most open position on the team with very little quality competition if Zub or Jensen get hurt he will for sure get a shot. I think he is going to get some games in the NHL though but he should absolutely not stay up all year.
If he continues to have a great camp, I think the best thing is to give him a couple NHL games and send him back - hopefully to a contender like you said.

Having him understand how fast and physical an NHL season game is will show him where he needs to be. Then he goes and dominates in junior.

I generally support the CHL but he one of the few where I wish we could send him the AHL. I think he would benefit from playing against bigger faster competition and a development staff that is focused on him in particular. With the work JM did with Chara's defensive game, I would love to see some regular chats with him.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

3 plus years development is certainly not rushing him. People play in the NHL when they are ready. There were guys here, and I think you were one of them, saying Stuetzle needed maturing time in the minors to develop. After watching him in world Junior I said he'd never play a game in the minors

I don't see 3 years with this kid. And there's lots wrong with holding him back if he's ready to go

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

The best thing for him is to monitor where he's at and have him progress based on merit, not artificial timelines

He's an older prospect relative to his draft class, you look at a guy like Luke Hughes, who is on the opposite side of the age spectrum and he was full time by his 20th birthday, Yakemchuk will be 20 to start next season. Similarly, Sieder was full time in Detroit as a 20 yr old. Byram joined a contender in Colorado and played one yr of junior after being drafted before cracking the NHL club though injuries limited his games played

There's no hard and fast rule for what's best for a player. His play will dictate what's best for him.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Acting surprised you were wrong about an completely idiotic take is how these guys keep up the illusion they know what they are talking about

How far is one allowed to deviate from central scouting in their opinion on prospects?

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I think you're thinking of Wheeler here. Wheeler's bias is definitely towards skilled, and in particular smaller skilled, players. It's why he generally hates what the Sens do.

Pronman is a bit less predictable, I find, but in general I'd say he's more focused on projectable NHL tools, not unlike the Sens.
Pronman has changed his philosophy over the years. I agree with Mickel’s assessment, Pronman used to have a strong bias that he has since identified and tried to correct for. Which is a good quality for a scout to have, and is something Wheeler cant or wont do.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Acting surprised you were wrong about an completely idiotic take is how these guys keep up the illusion they know what they are talking about
What I don't understand is why anyone that actually watched the player. Saw the stat line, looked at his position and physical appearance then didn't like the prospect or thought he wouldnt be a top 10 pick. Didn't make any sense. Was such a strange phenomenon to me. I told everyone pre draft he was going top 10. Was told I was wrong by many posters on this board. Then voila, here we are. His physical package is so unique to have his level of skill. Not many 6'3 18 year Olds are physically mature. It takes time, he is gonna get there though. When he does oh man.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
If we look at other high 1st round picks that we drafted like Stutzle, Brady and Sanderson, it didn’t take them 3 years to develop and transition to the NHL.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
If we look at other high 1st round picks that we drafted like Stutzle, Brady and Sanderson, it didn’t take them 3 years to develop and transition to the NHL.

In no way do I think these players are on the same level, but just a reminder that overcooking might be the better option.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Sanderson didn't play until year 3. But I don't think the standard should be other players. Each player/person has a different skillset, physical and mental make up etc. Yakemchuks physical make up is of a long development curve. He grew late and is still growing into his body. D men also take longer to develop in general.

Reactions: Micklebot

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What I don't understand is why anyone that actually watched the player. Saw the stat line, looked at his position and physical appearance then didn't like the prospect or thought he wouldnt be a top 10 pick. Didn't make any sense. Was such a strange phenomenon to me. I told everyone pre draft he was going top 10. Was told I was wrong by many posters on this board. Then voila, here we are. His physical package is so unique to have his level of skill. Not many 6'3 18 year Olds are physically mature. It takes time, he is gonna get there though. When he does oh man.
I think it just speaks to the depth of the draft, lots of good options in the 5-15 range, there are at least 4 guys that went after him I'd have been perfectly fine with, and I say that as someone who is fine with Yak at 7.

I don't think anyone should have been surprised he went top ten for the reasons you mentioned, but I can understand people having 10 other guys they expected to go ahead of him.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Sanderson didn't play until year 3. But I don't think the standard should be other players. Each player/person has a different skillset, physical and mental make up etc. Yakemchuks physical make up is of a long development curve. He grew late and is still growing into his body. D men also take longer to develop in general.
The team wanted Sanderson after year 2, but he insisted on going back due to “unfinished business” with that awesome NODAK team.

I agree that we won’t see that with this kid wanting to go back to junior for his overaged season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad