Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Pacioretty to a PTO (official)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
100% it is. And not just 5 on 5
I would go as far as to say, defensively, Kampf does nothing at all that we can’t replace at $1M or maybe ever so slightly over
Yep.

1727132329766.png

1727132340916.png

Kampf-Card.jpg

Dewar-Card.jpg

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Effort is part of it, but defensive instincts is a huge part of it. Reading passing lanes and spaces. Obliviously, you’re outnumbered, so you don’t just cover somebody. You have to identify which person or area is the priority - and that changes second by second.

Ok, but as a winger you're mostly just defending a zone - the coach tells you how high and how aggressive he wants you to play it. There's not much improvisation to it, in fact the more disciplined and cohesive the unit is, the better imo. Sure, if you can anticipate like Marner, that can be a plus, but as long as you can skate and have some general quickness imo most wingers could be turned into fine penalty-killers.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Ok, but as a winger you're mostly just defending a zone - the coach tells you how high and how aggressive he wants you to play it. There's not much improvisation to it, in fact the more disciplined and cohesive the unit is, the better imo. Sure, if you can anticipate like Marner, that can be a plus, but as long as you can skate and have some general quickness imo most wingers could be turned into fine penalty-killers.

Other than the faceoff, there’s no difference between the winger and centre on the PK.

The intelligence and anticipation is vital. In zone, you’re flipping between zone, to stick, to passing lane, back zone, to shooting lane, to passing lane, back to shooting lane second by second. When to attack vs when to play passive.

Being fast is great, but if you can’t read the play, it doesn’t matter. Working hard is a must, but again, if you don’t know where you’re supposed to be, it’s just wasted energy.

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I think Kampf's defensive prowess at 5-on-5 is overstated.

Two years ago he centred a lined that regularly cleared the Leafs' d-zone like clockwork. I really can't remember off the top of my head who were his line mates, but just that it was impressive how they would take the defensive-zone faceoffs and clear the zone with ease. That lead to good line changes and a better use of the top two lines.

Last season I saw Kampf's line getting trapped in their own zone for extended periods of time. If they were able to get a whistle, Matthews' line would often be called on to bail them out. It was not a good look.

As to the PK, I think he was fine but nothing special.

Kampf did well to sign his contract when he did. Timing is everything.

Who knew Ryan Reaves and Noah Gregor would hurt a line’s ability to break out effectively….

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think Kampf's defensive prowess at 5-on-5 is overstated.

Two years ago he centred a lined that regularly cleared the Leafs' d-zone like clockwork. I really can't remember off the top of my head who were his line mates, but just that it was impressive how they would take the defensive-zone faceoffs and clear the zone with ease. That lead to good line changes and a better use of the top two lines.

Last season I saw Kampf's line getting trapped in their own zone for extended periods of time. If they were able to get a whistle, Matthews' line would often be called on to bail them out. It was not a good look.

As to the PK, I think he was fine but nothing special.

Kampf did well to sign his contract when he did. Timing is everything.
Last year, his main linemates were Gregor and Reaves.

The year before, his main linemates were Engvall and Kerfoot.

Pretty major difference in 2-way hockey ability there. Obviously his linemates last year brought more toughness, but were also dramatically worse at hockey. Not sure Kampf was much different, just a very different role.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He's better at scoring, but they're not competing for scoring roles. Who are the internal replacements who can lead an NHL PK unit?

Honestly, Matthews is our best PKer.

I'd like to add him to the PK though and roll Matthews/Marner and then Kampf/Jarnkrok and then Dewar/McMann or something.

A lot of people on this board (obviously not you), think we should try to win 10-9 because everything I see is removing anyone good defensively.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
100% it is. And not just 5 on 5
I would go as far as to say, defensively, Kampf does nothing at all that we can’t replace at $1M or maybe ever so slightly over

Kampf

View attachment 909227

Dewar with Minnesota

View attachment 909228

Huge difference in defensive zone faceoff win % between the two.
Thank you. I would suggest then that when it comes to PK'ing, we will absolutely feel that delta in faceoff win %. Maybe something we can replace at $1M, but as of now it's not going to be Dewar.

Reactions: weems

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad