Around the League Thread | Pre-Season Approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Yeah outside someones appeal for European leagues I'm not sure what the draw would be to replicate it in North American sports. In my opinion it works better when you have a bunch of smaller national leagues, rather than a large continental super league.

Though with the NHL pushing towards 36 teams now, and considering how long teams sit on the outside of the playoffs already, just thinking about it for a minute here I could see a setup that almost works. Keep the 4 divisions, but split the league in two. A higher salary cap 20 team pro league, and a lower salary cap 16 team draft league. High cap league has the regular 16 team playoffs, with the 4 divisional teams that don't make it relegated. Low cap draft league ends with divisional playoffs, the 4 division winners getting promoted.

The general benefit here is you ease the salary cap burden for teams in 'rebuilding' phase, but it's going to cause all sorts of problems on the PA side.
I don't see any way that a multi-tier system works for the NHL. It is a niche sport that doesn't have the number of fans nor earn enough to support something like that. Logistically it would never work.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

It's not perfect. It's not even good. But it's 1000x better than Mullett Arena.

Have to say I do wonder if it was logical to renovate delta given the structural changes it needed. Cost of doing that vs going new. AZ proposed to build new if the suns and coyotes would share to which the suns owner said no (can’t blame the guy as he’d be giving up 50% of non sports revenue to the coyotes).

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Have to say I do wonder if it was logical to renovate delta given the structural changes it needed. Cost of doing that vs going new. AZ proposed to build new if the suns and coyotes would share to which the suns owner said no (can’t blame the guy as he’d be giving up 50% of non sports revenue to the coyotes).
Well that's fair considering the only produce 50% of standard expected Revenue

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I’m honestly really happy for Montreal, this lane Hutson kid is the real deal, and he reminds me so much of Quinn, Hughes man.

And honestly, I like the Montréal Canadiens fans

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well that's fair considering the only produce 50% of standard expected Revenue
From a fan and big picture POV, that is true.
But, the Suns controlled the revenues at Footprint, so from their POV, it made sense for them to not want to share a new arena with the Coyotes. Thus, they pushed for and got a quarter of a billion dollar renovation with about $150-160 million from the gov. and they paid $80 mill. And ultimately, that helped force the Coyotes out of town.

But, that only extended their lease by 15 years from 2022 to 2037.

Kind of why Houston has to be with Fertittia, Utah with Smith, etc. ATL, Hawks are not involved, thus another arena in a different county needs to be built, which is what the Coyotes tried for in Tempe and that last one (which as I understand was technically in PHX borders not Scottsdale), so didn't think it made sense for PHX to approve the land sale for another arena since they had Footprint.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’m honestly really happy for Montreal, this lane Hutson kid is the real deal, and he reminds me so much of Quinn, Hughes man.

And honestly, I like the Montréal Canadiens fans
For Montreal, very curious to see how they handle their D group and how they are able (if able) to develop their youngsters.

Matheson and Savard are their 30 year old multi year veterans. 2 and 1 years left on their contracts.
Guhle, the only youngster they have extended for term with so far. He's just 22 and only has 114 NHL games under his belt.
Trio of Barron, X, and Struble got bridge deals and playing out final elc year. All under 100 games.
Trio of Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux are pure rookies (maybe a couple of NHL games under their belt).
That's 9 Dmen that they have to decide who plays in the NHL and who plays in the AHL. And how are they going to develop them (partner wise). Or whether there is too much of a logjam at young D that they need to move someone out, like they did with Harris.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Real question is, do they serve alchohol in the arena?
serious answer. sort of. utah sells a lower grade of beer, which is partly de-alcoholized to about 4% and more widely available than normal beer. all the major brands and even micro-breweries have low alcohol versions of a lot of their beers. first time i went there i bought a bunch of interesting looking micro-brewery stuff at the grocery store and when i got back to the campsite it all tasted like bud light.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
From a fan and big picture POV, that is true.
But, the Suns controlled the revenues at Footprint, so from their POV, it made sense for them to not want to share a new arena with the Coyotes. Thus, they pushed for and got a quarter of a billion dollar renovation with about $150-160 million from the gov. and they paid $80 mill. And ultimately, that helped force the Coyotes out of town.

But, that only extended their lease by 15 years from 2022 to 2037.

Kind of why Houston has to be with Fertittia, Utah with Smith, etc. ATL, Hawks are not involved, thus another arena in a different county needs to be built, which is what the Coyotes tried for in Tempe and that last one (which as I understand was technically in PHX borders not Scottsdale), so didn't think it made sense for PHX to approve the land sale for another arena since they had Footprint.
I was joking !!!!!!

;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad