Around the League Thread | Pre-Season Approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Yeah outside someones appeal for European leagues I'm not sure what the draw would be to replicate it in North American sports. In my opinion it works better when you have a bunch of smaller national leagues, rather than a large continental super league.

Though with the NHL pushing towards 36 teams now, and considering how long teams sit on the outside of the playoffs already, just thinking about it for a minute here I could see a setup that almost works. Keep the 4 divisions, but split the league in two. A higher salary cap 20 team pro league, and a lower salary cap 16 team draft league. High cap league has the regular 16 team playoffs, with the 4 divisional teams that don't make it relegated. Low cap draft league ends with divisional playoffs, the 4 division winners getting promoted.

The general benefit here is you ease the salary cap burden for teams in 'rebuilding' phase, but it's going to cause all sorts of problems on the PA side.
I don't see any way that a multi-tier system works for the NHL. It is a niche sport that doesn't have the number of fans nor earn enough to support something like that. Logistically it would never work.

Reactions: Nick Lang

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

It's not perfect. It's not even good. But it's 1000x better than Mullett Arena.

Have to say I do wonder if it was logical to renovate delta given the structural changes it needed. Cost of doing that vs going new. AZ proposed to build new if the suns and coyotes would share to which the suns owner said no (can’t blame the guy as he’d be giving up 50% of non sports revenue to the coyotes).

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Have to say I do wonder if it was logical to renovate delta given the structural changes it needed. Cost of doing that vs going new. AZ proposed to build new if the suns and coyotes would share to which the suns owner said no (can’t blame the guy as he’d be giving up 50% of non sports revenue to the coyotes).
Well that's fair considering the only produce 50% of standard expected Revenue

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I’m honestly really happy for Montreal, this lane Hutson kid is the real deal, and he reminds me so much of Quinn, Hughes man.

And honestly, I like the Montréal Canadiens fans

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
He’s not Hughes 2.0, if he absolutely hits his potential I could see him being Fox 2.0
He is neither, he is Tyson Barrie 2.0 nothing wrong with that Barrie was a good player. Carter Yakemchuk really impressed could be good pick for the Sens, big right shot defenceman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad