Prospect Info: [2024] 5th rd selection - #151 OA - C, Miroslav Holinka - HC Oceláři Třinec, ELH (6′1″/185lb)

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
nice to be optimistic, but Minten might develop into a modern version of Darryl Sittler, he is that good!
He is playing with men now. 3 years is max. He may easily put on 10 lbs by then. Better pick than Minten.

Alright... calm down people.

Minten might be a modern version of Darryl Sittler? Maybe the sarcasm emoji was missed? Help a brother out here?

and... what, Holinka, a 5th round pick, plays at a prospect camp, is a guy you hadn't heard of before being picked... and does well at a prospect camp, and is suddenly a great player too?

Pump the brakes kids...

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yes, he showed well in a Prospect Camp.... perspective... it was a prospect camp. It's great that this kid did well, for a few days, against a lower level of competition. Good performances are always amazing to see and exciting... but perspective. If he plays in the WHL, does well at the WJC, and has an incredible year ok, then start pumping him up... but for now... it's a small sample set, against lower level of competition.. but with a good sign.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yes, he showed well in a Prospect Camp.... perspective... it was a prospect camp. It's great that this kid did well, for a few days, against a lower level of competition. Good performances are always amazing to see and exciting... but perspective. If he plays in the WHL, does well at the WJC, and has an incredible year ok, then start pumping him up... but for now... it's a small sample set, against lower level of competition.. but with a good sign.

I can't say the scrimmage was much to get excited about.

From the comments, he'd be one to look at and think there is something there.

So, while no one should be penciling him into the Calder Race it seems you want to discount him from any praise.

EDIT: Just want to add, my wife listened to Celebrini and asked, "Who's that guy. Sounds like a weiner."

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I think I read before he was doing pretty well in the Jr league with his peers but struggled against men which...okay yeah that makes sense, he's not a top prospect.

I joke with Miroslav Krejci nickname but nothing he can do right now except go torch the WHL and make us excited as fans like Grebyonkin etc.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I can't say the scrimmage was much to get excited about.

From the comments, he'd be one to look at and think there is something there.

So, while no one should be penciling him into the Calder Race it seems you want to discount him from any praise.

EDIT: Just want to add, my wife listened to Celebrini and asked, "Who's that guy. Sounds like a weiner."
For perspective.... I quoted someone who said he was better than Minten already.. based on some quotes of a development camp.... So this discussion is based upon someone saying he is better than Minten already... where I also quoted someone, who seemed to want to compare Minten to Sittler.

Sure, Holinka deserves praise for having a good development camp, but to say he's already a better pick and prospect than Minten... based on this camp....

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
For perspective.... I quoted someone who said he was better than Minten already.. based on some quotes of a development camp.... So this discussion is based upon someone saying he is better than Minten already... where I also quoted someone, who seemed to want to compare Minten to Sittler.

Sure, Holinka deserves praise for having a good development camp, but to say he's already a better pick and prospect than Minten... based on this camp....

Fair enough.

Shiny new toy.

I didn't see enough from the half scrimmage I watched to make any such decision.

It seemed Minten line was a step ahead of their competition, most of the minutes I watched.

Minten north-south, Cowan compass.

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
He did well against this lower level competition because he played against men in extraliga. So naturally he will stand out.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I would wager that he showed better than your average 5th round pick if you compared him against his peers in the draft ranking in development camps around the league.

His numbers in junior suggest he’s got some offensive talent and given his other fundaments being a big centre who plays a mature game in most cases those guys get picked in the top 60 of a given draft.

He’s not Gretzky but maybe Tommie Bergman found another kid from Europe in the later rounds who can play NHL hockey. He’s done it before.

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006

Minten might be a modern version of Darryl Sittler? Maybe the sarcasm emoji was missed? Help a brother out here?

and... what, Holinka, a 5th round pick, plays at a prospect camp, is a guy you hadn't heard of before being picked... and does well at a prospect camp, and is suddenly a great player too?

Pump the brakes kids...

Leafs fans - "What a steal in the 5th round, his floor is David Krejci, ceiling is Jaromir Jagr"

Maybe we should wait a bit before penciling him in the lineup in 3 years. Look at Semyon Der-Arguchintsev who had a fantastic first camp, was considered a steal, got a contract immediately, and then proceeded to do nothing.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs fans - "What a steal in the 5th round, his floor is David Krejci, ceiling is Jaromir Jagr"

Maybe we should wait a bit before penciling him in the lineup in 3 years. Look at Semyon Der-Arguchintsev who had a fantastic first camp, was considered a steal, got a contract immediately, and then proceeded to do nothing.

Now that is one fricken weird stretch!

Krejci to Jagr ...

I thought he was more like Salming to Parent?

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

SDA had absolutely zero work commitment. Never improved his strength or skating ability which was necessary to take the next step.

Unlike SDA Holinka is physically strong and a good skater playing a two way game. He doesn’t have anywhere near the holes in his game that SDA had.

Reactions: horner and arso40

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
there's a

Pump the brakes kids...
a word you MAY have recognized in there, that word is MIGHT. Sittler was an up and down skater but not by any means flashy nor really fast, his real forte was that he had a high IQ. He had good playmaking skills but nothing on the level of say Marner. What Darryl really had was compete and fearlessness and a real willingness to drop the gloves. As you may know he went 8th overall in that 1970 draft. He was the last of any players in that draft that reached any kind of stardom. An odd bit of trivia is that future Leafs Captain Dough Gilmour's older brother Dave, was taken by Vancouver in the 6th round!

Sittler didn't come out of the gate like a house on fire by any means, he had seasons of 18 and 49 pts his first two NHL seasons it wasn't until pro year three that he blossomed. In other words he was developed in the NHL

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
there's a

a word you MAY have recognized in there, that word is MIGHT. Sittler was an up and down skater but not by any means flashy nor really fast, his real forte was that he had a high IQ. He had good playmaking skills but nothing on the level of say Marner. What Darryl really had was compete and fearlessness and a real willingness to drop the gloves. As you may know he went 8th overall in that 1970 draft. He was the last of any players in that draft that reached any kind of stardom. An odd bit of trivia is that future Leafs Captain Dough Gilmour's older brother Dave, was taken by Vancouver in the 6th round!

Sittler didn't come out of the gate like a house on fire by any means, he had seasons of 18 and 49 pts his first two NHL seasons it wasn't until pro year three that he blossomed. In other words he was developed in the NHL

Is this sarcasm? Darryl Sittler? 99 points in D-2 in Junior compared to Minten? Who put up 55 points.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Is this sarcasm? Darryl Sittler? 99 points in D-2 in Junior compared to Minten? Who put up 55 points.
also two different worlds, also I did write "MIGHT"

Which is not the same as saying "he'll be exactly like Sittler, have a 10 point game and at least 2 100 point seasons!"

Minten and Sittler are quite similar in how they play, how they look on the ice, how they skate, their size and how they shoot the puck.

SIMILARITIES

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
I like this pick a lot. Good hands, good size, and having played in a pro league already is a good sign. I have a similar feeling with him that I did with Engvall and Johnsson. Hopefully we have an NHL level player here someday.

Reactions: aingefan

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

I meant Minten was a 2nd rounder and Holinka is a 5th rounder making a better pick not prospect. Minten was expected to go 2nd round. You don't expect to get a player like Holinka in the 5th. You misunderstood.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

I have never said anything close to that.

Reactions: Tarmore

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
hahahaha, I get a kick out of this site. We get players with no idea who he is and 4 pages later we drafted the next Wayne Gretzky. We drafted a penny and 4 pages later he is a dollar.
Also funny are posters saying they don't know anything about him and then write a 10 page essay on why he was a good pick.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
hahahaha, I get a kick out of this site. We get players with no idea who he is and 4 pages later we drafted the next Wayne Gretzky. We drafted a penny and 4 pages later he is a dollar.
Also funny are posters saying they don't know anything about him and then write a 10 page essay on why he was a good pick.
This thread doesn't have 4 pages yet and you are the only one who has mentioned Gretzky.

Reactions: leafers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad