Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
A month before the Slafkovsky draft, Russian media reported that Philadelphia and Montreal would not be taking Russians in the upcoming draft.

I remember this report.

The report was correct, and neither team took any Russians. The Habs also traded the only Russian player off their roster on the same day.

I don't think they traded Romanov because he was Russian. I think it was because Habs saw an opportunity to acquire Dach. And because it took a 1st round pick to get him, Romanov was the one who had the value to acquire that 1st from the Isles. And with the influx of LDs who were turning pro (Guhle, Xhekaj & Harris). Romanov became dispensable.

They also fired their Russian scout and had zero presence in Russia.

I don't know if they fired him or his contract was up and didn't renew it. Either way, they already had Boisvert who is an international crossover scout. They had Rockstrom who is a European scout. And they had Bobrov with connections in Russia. And they have their scouts not just be in their own corners, but it's a more collaborative effort.

They've drafted Russians in 2023 and 2024 without a Russian scout.

Just last year, the Habs were the first team in forever to not have any Russians on their NHL or AHL roster.

I’m sure the situation amongst the players wasn’t toxic towards Russians, but there weren’t any Russians to be toxic too. Management clearly had a moral stance against Russian players at the time, and by the time Michkov came around the damage was already done regarding Montreal’s image in Russia.

Not taking Michkov had nothing to do with him being Russian. Because in the same draft, Habs took Konyushkov and Volokhin. And in 2024 they took Demidov and Khanin.

Not taking Michkov had to be either the info the Habs gathered on him turned them off or his 3 years remaining on his contrat also made them weary of taking him.

Reactions: ginomini

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The question is this...to who the f*** will Demidov be on par with on this team so that they'd be able to follow his vision? Who scores on this team apart from Caufield?

Chances are if we don't add to it. we will think Demidov is a dud in the NHL 'cause he gets no point when he actually nobody will be able to complete his plays...

If only we could have drafted a talented scorer...but they are not available at the draft we pick....

Laine is on the team, y'know.

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Still needs to be determined. Still needs to stay with the team. Imagine that...the only other proven scorer we have and hope for is a guy who is still a huge unknown....and we are suppose to be in the mix...lol

Suzuki also scored over 30 last year. That's 3 guys. Caufield, Suzuki and Laine.

You're exagerating the problem.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The question is this...to who the f*** will Demidov be on par with on this team so that they'd be able to follow his vision? Who scores on this team apart from Caufield?

Chances are if we don't add to it. we will think Demidov is a dud in the NHL 'cause he gets no point when he actually nobody will be able to complete his plays...

If only we could have drafted a talented scorer...but they are not available at the draft we pick....

The Habs definitely need to add some more skill.

But having Demidov with the likes of Caufield, Suzuki, Slaf, Dach, Laine (who will still have 1 more year left). Those are talented players. Dach might not look the greatest now, but he is coming back from being a year out with a really big injury. It will take time before he becomes the player we saw him becoming. But when he gets his game back, that's a talented player Demidov can play with.

Hopefully Hage doesn't take long to be with the Habs because this kid looks like he has the skill to keep up with Demidov. And I'm actually looking at someone like Mesar, who plays the game with pace and is off to a strong start in Laval.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

The real reason nobody score on the team is because of positioning. There is rarelly anyone placed to shovel rebounds or pick a pass to the slot.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The real reason nobody score on the team is because of positioning. There is rarelly anyone placed to shovel rebounds or pick a pass to the slot.
Do you think positioning solely comes from X's and O's? Or instinct? Finding an open spot comes from the offensive player IQ. Not strategy on a board.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal

Martone or Misa should be good goal scorers imo

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
The Habs definitely need to add some more skill.

But having Demidov with the likes of Caufield, Suzuki, Slaf, Dach, Laine (who will still have 1 more year left). Those are talented players. Dach might not look the greatest now, but he is coming back from being a year out with a really big injury. It will take time before he becomes the player we saw him becoming. But when he gets his game back, that's a talented player Demidov can play with.

Hopefully Hage doesn't take long to be with the Habs because this kid looks like he has the skill to keep up with Demidov. And I'm actually looking at someone like Mesar, who plays the game with pace and is off to a strong start in Laval.
I still have my reservations on Slaf. Real talent will be able to 1-time slap. Slaf have more talent passing than scoring despite his insane hard shot. But he's not precise. And he doesn't have the shot IQ to speed the process of it. The shot has hard as it is, if you wait too much you'll have a stick on you, the goalie will move to block it. to this day, he doesn't process it as a talented player does. Will he? That's the question. Or will he be a 25-goal garbage goalscorer. We still need that...but he won't be considered as pure talent because of it.

Martone or Misa should be good goal scorers imo
Hey Reinbacher is hurt....any chance we go needs and another RD? Logan Hensler is a RD...let's pick him No1.

Last edited:

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Do you think positioning solely comes from X's and O's? Or instinct? Finding an open spot comes from the offensive player IQ. Not strategy on a board.
Both.

There is a lots off positional issues right now that should get fixed via video reviews (some already had since the season started irc) and using set plays is X's and O's (and they do that sometimes).

Also, attacking the slot and having a screener is technically X's and O's too. But the forwards are too cream puff to do it outside of Slaff and vintage Gally.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022

The answer to this is so easy. There's only 1 guy in the entire roster that could keep up with Demidov.

Yes, you know who i am talking about, you saw my name, you knew right away who i was going to talk about.

Buckle up my friend, because its happening.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Still needs to be determined. Still needs to stay with the team. Imagine that...the only other proven scorer we have and hope for is a guy who is still a huge unknown....and we are suppose to be in the mix...lol
Let hope we get lucky and draft in the top 3. I don't see Laine staying with us after his contract.

Reactions: Whitesnake

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Both.

There is a lots off positional issues right now that should get fixed via video reviews (some already had since the season started irc) and using set plays is X's and O's (and they do that sometimes).

Also, attacking the slot and having a screener is technically X's and O's too. But the forwards are too cream puff to do it outside of Slaff and vintage Gally.
Xs and Os can work for a short while. But a lack of skills will always get exposed eventually. Half this board had an orgasm over the Flyers last year, How Tort was a genius and we needed a coach like him. How they were ahead of us in their rebuild. Bla bla bla the usual fefans boring stuff. I spent the whole last season saying it would not last. And so far it does not. Flyers are 3rd last in the league (behind us), they allowed 3 more goals than us and scored 1 less goal than us. They replaced some grinders by kids and it's making them worse (which is normal).

We can fire MSL and hire a dinosaur. Yes short term it will make the team look good while this dinosaur bench the kids, run them under the bus and recall AHLers to play in their place. But it's wont do any good mid or long term. I'm not saying MSL is a good coach. But until the team is good on paper there'S no reason to replace him if the kids like him. If he works well with the kids then no reason to replace him. The entire team is under 23 people should be patient. Mesar is having a better start in the AHL than McGroarty but at their age it doesn't mean anything. As price once said chill out.

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
Nice stat...Demidov is leading the KHL in points per 60 mins played. Not surprising, but nice to see.

Rank Player GP G A P TOI P/60
1 Ivan Demidov 19 5 10 15 10:17 4.61
2 Nikita Artamonov 18 9 8 17 13:14 4.28
3 Grigory Kuzmin 10 3 3 6 8:30 4.24
4 Arseny Gritsyuk 18 7 12 19 15:30 4.09
5 Vitaly Abramov 19 10 9 19 14:48 4.05
6 Anthony De Angelo 11 3 13 16 22:38 3.86
7 Evgeny Kuznetsov 15 4 11 15 15:38 3.84
8 Nikolas Petan 14 3 12 15 16:51 3.82
9 Daniil Gutik 17 4 13 17 16:08 3.72
10 Vasily Glotov 11 8 3 11 16:23 3.66

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016

Slaf and Suzuki are perfect for Demidov. Suzuki can score. Slaf have a great shot aswell, he can become a very good goalscorer with a player like Demidov who make magic in offense zone.

Don't underrated the offensive talent of Slaf. He is the real deal aswell, not talented like Demidov, they are different, but Slaf have also high offensive talent, amazing playmaker and hands. Need to shoot more and can be a 30-35 goalscorer per season.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

You know...elite players make others around them benefit.

Players benefit from playing with players who have amazing vision, like Demidov has.

This is an odd post.

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
We can fire MSL and hire a dinosaur. Yes short term it will make the team look good while this dinosaur bench the kids, run them under the bus and recall AHLers to play in their place. But it's wont do any good mid or long term. I'm not saying MSL is a good coach. But until the team is good on paper there'S no reason to replace him if the kids like him. If he works well with the kids then no reason to replace him. The entire team is under 23 people should be patient. Mesar is having a better start in the AHL than McGroarty but at their age it doesn't mean anything. As price once said chill out.

Not a comment per se on MSL, but I'd be wary about the team developing a culture of complacency / a country club. We saw that in Ottawa with DJ Smith.​

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
You know...elite players make others around them benefit.

Players benefit from playing with players who have amazing vision, like Demidov has.

This is an odd post.
That's an odd post coming from somebody who saw Josh Anderson never benefit from playing with Suzuki....How is it that you suddenly can find yourself to become a scorer just because you get the puck on your stick? If anybody can do that...why can't they?

Slaf and Suzuki are perfect for Demidov. Suzuki can score. Slaf have a great shot aswell, he can become a very good goalscorer with a player like Demidov who make magic in offense zone.

Don't underrated the offensive talent of Slaf. He is the real deal aswell, not talented like Demidov, they are different, but Slaf have also high offensive talent, amazing playmaker and hands. Need to shoot more and can be a 30-35 goalscorer per season.
Not giving up on Slaf. But it still needs to be proven. Strangely what Slaf has proven to me is more his passing skills than his scoring one...But maybe he'll evolve into a scorer the way Pacioretty did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad