Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
According to sources in Russia near the situation, Demidov refused a 1 year up to $1M contract extension three times last month which is the reason why he’s being glued to the bench.

This was obvious... Their coach came out in the media at the beginning of the season and said that staying longer in SKA would be the best thing for Demidov's development as he "might not be ready" for the NHL and the AHL was a goon league essentially. This told you all you needed to know that they were attempting to sign him for a longer time.

Everything we've heard about Demidov says he wants to come over ASAP so this was always going to be a rock and a hard place situation.

What I don't really get is why they would think would be effective? Any normal human being is going to harbor resentment toward the organization doing this rather than feeling favourable to signing another year. You'd think some more carrot and less stick would go a long way.

It is Russia though.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This was obvious... Their coach came out in the media at the beginning of the season and said that staying longer in SKA would be the best thing for Demidov's development as he "might not be ready" for the NHL and the AHL was a goon league essentially. This told you all you needed to know that they were attempting to sign him for a longer time.

Everything we've heard about Demidov says he wants to come over ASAP so this was always going to be a rock and a hard place situation.

What I don't really get is why they would think would be effective? Any normal human being is going to harbor resentment toward the organization doing this rather than feeling favourable to signing another year. You'd think some more carrot and less stick would go a long way.

It is Russia though.

$1M for one year is not the type of incentive required to make Demidov and his agent think. That's the dumb part IMO.... the amount they are offering.

Anyways, Demidov is surely not signing anything now with limited ice time treatment. Loan him to another team FFS. Your $1M offer didn't work and all they are doing is messing with Russian young talent/development. Reducing his ice time is not effective. History speaks for itself.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

Rotenberg is part of the Russian mafia (oligarch), breaking legs to get what he wants is how he understand things work.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
$1M for one year is not the type of incentive required to make Demidov and his agent think. That's the dumb part IMO.... the amount they are offering.

Anyways, Demidov is surely not signing anything now with limited ice time treatment. Loan him to another team FFS. Your $1M offer didn't work and all they are doing is messing with Russian young talent/development. Reducing his ice time is not effective. History speaks for itself.
If playing in the top league for the greatest hockey team ever is not enough, his agent is probably reminding him that aside from his salary all the Millions and Millions of sponsorship money he’d be giving up on.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If playing in the top league for the greatest hockey team ever is not enough, his agent is probably reminding him that aside from his salary all the Millions and Millions of sponsorship money he’d be giving up on.

Agreed. The only thing I see working for SKA is offering him $5M for one more season. When does Demidov qualify for a 2 year ELC? Does that apply if he stays there next year and signs with the Habs for 26/27? Gets $5M now and then has a chance to max out the ELC for 2 years and then a big pay day.

Not saying I want SKA to do this but I just don't understand their strategy

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Agreed. The only thing I see working for SKA is offering him $5M for one more season. When does Demidov qualify for a 2 year ELC? Does that apply if he stays there next year and signs with the Habs for 26/27? Gets $5M now and then has a chance to max out the ELC for 2 years and then a big pay day.

It’s fair game for SKA to try to sign him, but unless Demidov absolutely wants to play close to home or people start being held over 12 floor balconies, it’s going to be tough.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If his team (SKA) doesn't make the playoffs, or gets eliminated early, is there any chance we see him in a Habs jersey at the tail end of the year? KHL season is over around March 20.

It will depend. Because technically, Demidov is still under contract until May 30th. Similar to how free agency here is on July 1st because contracts end on June 30th, their free agency is on April 1st.

So if SKA want to be assholes, they can keep Demidov until his contract is officially over. I do think they would release him and let him sign in Montreal. But you never know really.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

He will sign a 3-year ELC.

2-Year ELCs are for players who are 22-23 years old when they sign. Even if Demidov stays in KHL for another year, he will be 20 when he signs with MTL, so it will still be a 3-year ELC.

Reactions: Redux91

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Thinking out loud, but if I’m SKA the closer to the end of the season the closer I’d be willing to agree to a buyout. At some point a hard cash payment will outweigh any value in punishing Demidov. There’s a tipping point somewhere.

Reactions: BLONG7

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Their end game has always been to keep him for another couple of seasons..........their coach is a donkey, but nothing the kid can do.
The coach seems to be a Therrien like idiot and will not change his mind.
This will be a long season for the kid, and the fans. Too bad.

I would think the habs knew this could possibly happen.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Demidov seems to me high IQ enough to know that if he caves and stays a year more, he’ll be subject to the exact same pressure again next year, and each and every year after that.

Trenbohabs

Sep 25, 2024
Yes, Demidov and Hage looks very special out there. They will transform the forward group. Even if Dach and Laine don't stay healthy, management have great hope for Demidov and Hage. Hage have literally top 6 C potential and can be a very good one. The future is very bright with both in the system.
The best thing that could happen if Hage becoming a ppg player for this rebuild! Add to this our 2 1st round picks this year and next year is time to push Tampa and Boston out of the playoffs!

What if Hage becomes a superstar and bumps Suzuki out of the 1st line? Futur will tell but damn

Slaf Hage Demidov
Caufield Suzuki top 10 2025
XX Dach XX

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Demidov seems to me high IQ enough to know that if he caves and stays a year more, he’ll be subject to the exact same pressure again next year, and each and every year after that.
He won't succumb. The Habs are so invested in him that I guarantee they talk all of the time. Any assurance he'd need of playing time or getting a shot with the big club next year would be put to rest with a simple phone call.

We as fans will just have to accept that this is going to be a bit of an erratic year for him icetime-wise. Then he's coming.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Demidov probably has an ego too and sees what his "buddy" Matvei is up to - they apparently communicate with each other regularly - and probably thinks he's just as good, if not better, than him, which he can only demonstrate by playing in the NHL.

Reactions: Kennerback

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
That’s a pretty weak offer from CSKA… seems more like theatre than a legitimate attempt to develop what could be a premiere Russian talent at home. That or their funds aren’t quite what we expect them to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad