Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Does anyone ever think about how perfect the whole draft thing played out for us? Why would other teams pass on potentially getting the best player of the draft? Then we have one of the biggest pop stars of the last 25 years come up on stage and announce his name. It seems a little too perfect to be considered coincidental.

Demidov and Hage turned our forward pool around. It was impressive on how that played out in our favor. I think we got two gems

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Chicago took a potential number 1 RHD with size, which is a rare thing.

Anaheim took a player who has tremendous skill himself and he'd a big boi.

Columbus took a big boi, goal scoring centre with size.

If a team took Iginla before him, or pretty much anyone drafted after Demidov before Demidov I could see it, but not really here.
Devils advocate. There’s an inherent risk in drafting a D at 2OA if it’s not a sure fire superstar. Sennecke came from far down and peaked at the right time. A bit of a mystery. I don’t want to criticize Lidstrom too much because a big C PF is a rare find, but to leave elite skill like Demidov on the table there is not my cup of tea.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Does anyone ever think about how perfect the whole draft thing played out for us? Why would other teams pass on potentially getting the best player of the draft? Then we have one of the biggest pop stars of the last 25 years come up on stage and announce his name. It seems a little too perfect to be considered coincidental.
It wasn’t a coincidence
I’m praying, literally waking up every morning and praying, that he falls to 5

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Chicago took a potential number 1 RHD with size, which is a rare thing.

Anaheim took a player who has tremendous skill himself and he'd a big boi.

Columbus took a big boi, goal scoring centre with size.

If a team took Iginla before him, or pretty much anyone drafted after Demidov before Demidov I could see it, but not really here.
I wouldn't pass on a player that could potentially be a 100-point player for a defenseman but that's just me. It just seems to have worked out perfectly and life isn't usually that way.

Demidov and Hage turned our forward pool around. It was impressive on how that played out in our favor. I think we got two gems
We may have just drafted two star players in one round, seems weird for the Habs to have such good fortune.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
It wasn’t a coincidence
4638f34c11020579ce25a1abe38d9885.jpg

The stars lined up that night my friends,
I'll never forget that one lol

Lazytrout

Dec 8, 2021
Getting the 5th pick was already a mini miracle to begin with, with how close the habs were to a handful of teams above them and it took Arizona (for the 3rd time) leapfrogging us at the last minute to secure the spot. Even at that point nobody believed we'd actually have a shot at drafting Demidov, to say everything perfectly fell into place is almost an understatement.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Getting the 5th pick was already a mini miracle to begin with, with how close the habs were to a handful of teams above them and it took Arizona (for the 3rd time) leapfrogging us at the last minute to secure the spot. Even at that point nobody believed we'd actually have a shot at drafting Demidov, to say everything perfectly fell into place is almost an understatement.
I wonder how far he would have dropped. Like if Utah selected ahead of us, do they still take Iginla? And the Sens, do they still pick the RD? We might have got him as low as 7th assuming no one traded up.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
I wonder how far he would have dropped. Like if Utah selected ahead of us, do they still take Iginla? And the Sens, do they still pick the RD? We might have got him as low as 7th assuming no one traded up.
i doubt it Armstrong took 2 russians last year with high picks so hes obviously not scared of the russian factor and i love Iginla but hes nowhere near Demidov in potentiel

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Does anyone ever think about how perfectly the whole draft thing played out for us? Why would other teams pass on potentially getting the best player of the draft? Then we have one of the biggest pop stars of the last 25 years come up on stage and announce his name. It seems a little too perfect to be considered coincidental.
Because the dirty little secret is ALL teams do prioritize “drafting for need” as part of roster construction or philosophy unless there’s a clear cut Crosby / McDavid type generational talent available

- Hawks “needed” a potential top pairing RDman

- Ana “needed” top-6 big body presence which is part of Verbeek’s roster construction philosophy

- CBJ “needed” a top line C

Demigod wasn’t a “need” for any of the teams picking in top-4

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Because the dirty little secret is ALL teams do prioritize “drafting for need” as part of roster construction or philosophy unless there’s a clear cut Crosby / McDavid type generational talent available

- Ana “needed” top-6 big body presence which is part of Verbeek’s roster construction philosophy

The Hawks are so early in their rebuild that it would have been wise to draft a potential superstar no?

Reactions: crosbyshow

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

Finally somebody says it lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium