Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It's not that big of a step IF you do not expect him to dominate. Juraj did make the move to the NHL early. I think it is fine if the player is developping.
The major difference is that Slaf spent his draft season in a pro league playing against men, plus the WC and olympics. Demidov would be going from a junior league a notch under the CHL to playing against the best pros in the world. He's ultra talented, but it's a lot to ask IMO. I don't thnik spending half a season in Laval to help with the transition would be the end of the world. Had he gotten some VHL/KHL experience, I would have been perfectly fine with him playing in the NHL right away.

Last edited:

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Gallagher being allowed to wear Koivu's 11 is one of the biggest failures of the organization.. now he tainted the number and I want nothing to do with 11 on Demidov. Get 91, keep 91.
I disagree on 11. It’s not koivu’s #11, even if he wore it. I think it was a good move to move on from a dark era.

I agree on 91 though.

Reactions: Tyson

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Just keep 11 for Aatos to bring back the Koivu legacy in a few years and let Ivan choose whatever number.

Personally I'd vouch for 27 but 91 would be good or maybe 96?

I don't think Aatos would want his dad's number, most kids want to forge their own path.

I wonder if it's counter productive from a marketing perspective. Hear me out. Demidov taking 11 means everyone with a Gallagher jersey (and there are a lot) can simply change the name plate. If they want to make money, you get Demidov to take #91

I don't think many people who would buy a Gallagher jersey would want to rep a Demidov jersey, they'd probably get a Luke Tuch jersey or something.

Why are you acting as if Gallagher wasn’t a great player and fan favourite for years? He wasn’t a plug… it was also Gomez’ number

'Cause he's a loser, jealous piss baby and I'll always stand for PK Subban over the balding mental midget. I did block out Gomez from my memory.

I disagree on 11. It’s not koivu’s #11, even if he wore it. I think it was a good move to move on from a dark era.

I agree on 91 though.

More that neither Gomez or Gallagher should have been given 11 so soon, I think it would have been respectful for everything that Koivu gave to the franchise and the community that you give it space before being given to another player. It would be like giving someone Markov's 79 right away, it's not going to be retired but I like that it has been awhile since someone has worn it.

Imagine if we let Montembeault take 31 when Price officially retires.

Reactions: Redux91

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
More that neither Gomez or Gallagher should have been given 11 so soon, I think it would have been respectful for everything that Koivu gave to the franchise and the community that you give it space before being given to another player. It would be like giving someone Markov's 79 right away, it's not going to be retired but I like that it has been awhile since someone has worn it.
To be fair to Gomez, he did the decent thing and wore 91 his first season. He then switched to 11. Seems like a good dude regardless of his level of play with the team.

Reactions: Vachon23

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
To be fair to Gomez, he did the decent thing and wore 91 his first season. He then switched to 11. Seems like a good dude regardless of his level of play with the team.

I can't look at him in an unbiased light - that trade was horrible. I hated it when it was Higgins going the other way, hated it more when they threw in McDonagh.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I can't look at him in an unbiased light - that trade was horrible. I hated it when it was Higgins going the other way, hated it more when they threw in McDonagh.
Yeah but it’s not his fault. Just poor roster management by Gainey. After going all in for the centennial season and it blowing up in his face, he should have just rebuilt the team.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yeah but it’s not his fault. Just poor roster management by Gainey. After going all in for the centennial season and it blowing up in his face, he should have just rebuilt the team.

Takes a willing owner to do so.. not sure they wanted to do that, it didn't backfire terribly in the beginning but it didn't last long.

Reactions: Walrus26

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Why are you acting as if Gallagher wasn’t a great player and fan favourite for years? He wasn’t a plug… it was also Gomez’ number
Lol gallagher can kick rocks , he epitomizes the 21st century habs , zero skill all heart. Can't move on from him fast enough. Turn the page on a era of awful mediocre hockey

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Lol gallagher can kick rocks , he epitomizes the 21st century habs , zero skill all heart. Can't move on from him fast enough. Turn the page on a era of awful mediocre hockey

You can want more skill without getting rid of heart. You need both to win. Complaining about Gallagher's contract is fair, its impossible to defend, but he was a 5th round pick who has spent his entire career in Montreal, and for most of it was incredibly underpaid. The problem is that for most of his prime, he was Montreal's 2nd-3rd best forward.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I watched a Demidov game the other night and found the play pretty good. Some of those Russian kids can really fly. I didn't find the calibre of play to be really bad like some posters have said. For someone that watches Demidov..........I notice he plays mostly with a number 88, who's pretty good in his own right. Does anyone know who this kid is? Thanks in advance.
There are some good teams and some very bad teams in MHL from my understanding. When 2 good teams meet it leads to good games, when they face a very bad one the good team usually blows them out so ya, the league lacks depth mostly I'd say.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
You can want more skill without getting rid of heart. You need both to win. Complaining about Gallagher's contract is fair, its impossible to defend, but he was a 5th round pick who has spent his entire career in Montreal, and for most of it was incredibly underpaid. The problem is that for most of his prime, he was Montreal's 2nd-3rd best forward.
100%

zLj81AsN6vHeRY4v8r4+L9GuO6BaPJenwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==.png

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Rozz and HabbyGuy

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
There are some good teams and some very bad teams in MHL from my understanding. When 2 good teams meet it leads to good games, when they face a very bad one the good team usually blows them out so ya, the league lacks depth mostly I'd say.
Sounds like you're describing the Q.;)

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
It's Demigod. There was no nickname thread because it was immediately settled. Or I least so I understand.
It's Demibust until proven otherwise, you are always a bust when drafted. This is stated in the HF Charter and approved when you hit 'I agree' when registering. Just like Bustfield, Bustlafsky, and so many before , Bustzuki, Bustniemi, Ryan Bustling, Mikhail Bustachev....

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I love Gally , good player , not really worth celebrating what he did here that much but that's just my opinion.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I love Gally , good player , not really worth celebrating what he did here that much but that's just my opinion.

I guess, but on that basis I'm not sure why what Koivu did here is worth "celebrating" (and I say this as someone whose favourite NHLer ever is Koivu).

The context is wearing number 11. Neither Koivu nor Gallagher won anything. Both spent much of their careers in Montreal as loyal soldiers and leaders in Montreal (if healthy Gallagher will pass Koivu in games played in Montreal. Both of them were/are players known for their heart and character.

Koivu was better and wore the C, but I don't see the the cut off being between them.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Agreed, I was on team pro Iginla most of the year, but that's because I assumed Demidov wouldn't be available. The fact that he was is insane to me still
Exactly.

I was on team Catton since last November. I had him 3rd overall.

I knew 2 things:

Mtl would not draft CATTON and they would not have the chance to draft Demidov...i had him second

I was so wrong on Demidov.

I still think that Catton will be more productive than Lindstrom and Iginla ...Seattle have a hell of a player at 8h....but I am still in shock that we drafted Demidov

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
I'd take a Gallagher type in a prospect pool anytime.
Gallagher could embody the Habs since our last Cup. Even became our number one point producer one year. 10+ goals more than number 2.

All heart, no skill. Like the whole team. Trapping. Gnawing. Tons of character. Habs doing their best to squeak by in the playoffs by getting our plugs to play the right way. Rinse and repeat. For decades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad