Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Demidov should be playing with the habs best forwards
Eventually, but he should be come into the NHL with some insulation and let him go after the Calder against weaker competition. If he's hitting his full potential from that start, then yeah get him with Suzuki, but let's not disturb the top line as we need both CC and Slaf to keep upping their point totals and really establish themselves as PPG players. Also, let's not forget that Dach has shown he can be the best player on the Habs on many nights. He's a great C for Demidov to play with. Size, skill, and a RH/LH combo for double one timers.

Imo, NHL Demidov won't be attempting to dangle around whole teams every shift like in does in the MHL, I don't think that would work in the higher levels, but when he's going to have to beat that one guy to open up space for him or his teammates, I'm confident he'll be able to do it with consistency and ease.

He's definitely going to have to get faster/more explosive though, but I have no doubt he'll be able to have adequate speed to play his game in the NHL.
Everything I read about him seems to mention how he's very intentional with his moves, and I imagine that a high IQ player like that would adjust his risks and not make more moves than necessary. Once he's more explosive like you said, he'll be able to be more evasive without doing jr level harlem globetrotter things.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
True . . . but she killed it. The pauses were brilliant. And I hate her music but she was great. If they weren’t drafting Dems, would they have still used her?
Better way to look at it isn’t that she was picked because we were taking Demidov- Demidov was made available to us because we invited the patron saint of our nation to announce the pick, and so the gods had no choice but to gift him to us.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
So, what would be Demidov's former Hockeysfuture grade?

I'd say: 9.0B

"The number means their potential, how good they might be. 10 = once in a decade player. 9 = franchise 8 = 1st liner etc. The Letter is the likelyhood of them reacing their potential. A = Almost a certainty B = Likely Etc."

"Sidney Crosby is a 10.0 C, Ovechkin a 9.0 A and Malkin a 9.0 B"

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

"The number means their potential, how good they might be. 10 = once in a decade player. 9 = franchise 8 = 1st liner etc. The Letter is the likelyhood of them reacing their potential. A = Almost a certainty B = Likely Etc."

8.5B

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021

9.0 A. High likelyhood of reaching his potential. More than Malkin just after the draft. Malkin had question marks, he had to play some time in the RSL before he became an A.
As for Ovechkin, he's on a tightrope between 9.0 and 10.0.

Last edited:

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada

Leaving this here as it deals with my favourite part of demidov’s game, his skating style. I can’t wait to see it game after game. It explains why demidov is the first prospect to perfect the “Mohawk” skating style and why:

“if it all works out, he can push whatever team he plays for down a path that may just change the game forever.”

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
The

I really miss that hockeysfuture grade. But DobberProspect put fantasy and NHL grade also, not bad at all.

I would put Demidov 9,0 B.

I speak about my love about the draft and not just because I'm a Habs fan, Demidov is such a amazing player. His hockey IQ are unreal. Every league he will play, he will be a amazing hockey player no matter what. His hockey IQ, hands, passing ability are these best assets.

I'm in shock to have that type of talent with Habs.

Reactions: Jabba11 and Toene

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Malkin was the best prospect I had ever seen (I wasn't in the habit of watching prospects play in the 1990s).

Comparing Demidov to him is a high bar.

His Lemieux-esque profile would have put him easily 1st overall in 2024 in my book.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Malkin was the best prospect I had ever seen (I wasn't in the habit of watching prospects play in the 1990s).
In my case I don't mean that Demidov is better than Malkin at this point in time, I'm even far from convinced that his upside is quite as high as Malkin's. It's just that I'm more confident that Demidov really is who he seems to be.

As for Malkin, I didn't see him in the RSL but I remember that it's really mid-season in D+2 while still playing in Russia that the hockey world became sure he would be a top player in the NHL. I feel that way already about Demidov.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
True . . . but she killed it. The pauses were brilliant. And I hate her music but she was great. If they weren’t drafting Dems, would they have still used her?

She is very ill and the pauses were very poorly timed and awkward but I believe that was a result of her illness and her fighting through the pain and I thought it was a very sweet moment that maybe many people did not understand.

I am not a fan of her music but I really felt for her up there trying her best to maintain her dignity.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I can't wait to see Slaf/Suzuki/Demidov in action, they're gonna be so good together. You could run Caufield/Newhook/Dach together on the 2nd line or Caufield/Dach/Roy.

It's tracking to have 3 very good lines. Lots of options to tinker with. We basically got 5 guys that can play center (behind Suzuki/Dach) with Newhook, Beck, Hage, Kapanen, Koivu. A few of them are moving to wing in the bottom 6 but we should have a very good 3rd and 4th line too.

Roy / Suzuki / Demidov
Caufield / Dach / Slaf
Newhook / Beck / Hage

It's usually best to spread the offence among multiple lines.

Yup, I suspect we will spread out into 3 lines we roll with a good 4th. Stack up the two PP's. That's what most teams are doing these days and it's effective.

I’m hoping Roy joins that group.

The potential is there. With good centers and a deep roster, Roy can shine. He's a good one to have in the mix. Big season for him this year.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee and TT1

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The

I really miss that hockeysfuture grade. But DobberProspect put fantasy and NHL grade also, not bad at all.

I would put Demidov 9,0 B.

I speak about my love about the draft and not just because I'm a Habs fan, Demidov is such a amazing player. His hockey IQ are unreal. Every league he will play, he will be a amazing hockey player no matter what. His hockey IQ, hands, passing ability are these best assets.

I'm in shock to have that type of talent with Habs.

Who was the last Russian star to be drafted top 10?
* Kaprizov is the latest but he was a 5th round hit. What a steal by the Wild.
* Svechnikov drafted 2nd OA in 2018
* Kind of crazy that none of Kucherov, Panarin, Kaprizov were top 10 picks or even 1st rounders.

Russia was due for another star. Michkov and Demidov might be both stars. Seems like Demidov has an edge over Michkov. We will see how that plays out.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Who was the last Russian star to be drafted top 10?
* Kaprizov is the latest but he was a 5th round hit. What a steal by the Wild.
* Svechnikov drafted 2nd OA in 2018
* Kind of crazy that none of Kucherov, Panarin, Kaprizov were top 10 picks or even 1st rounders.

Russia was due for another star. Michkov and Demidov might be both stars. Seems like Demidov has an edge over Michkov. We will see how that plays out.
And Svechnikov was drafted out of the OHL...
Panarin was undrafted, came over when he was 24.

As for your question, the last were Ovi/Malkin.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Better way to look at it isn’t that she was picked because we were taking Demidov- Demidov was made available to us because we invited the patron saint of our nation to announce the pick, and so the gods had no choice but to gift him to us.
lol so true.

As Jack Todd said, you don't bring out Celine Dion to announce you are picking Carter Yakenchuk, lol. Only the Demigod would have been appropriate.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Obviously I was nervous just before she announced the pick, but then I was thinking “there’s no way they will get her to try and read the name Zeev Buium and have another Carey Price/David moment”

Demigod11

Jun 28, 2021

Leaving this here as it deals with my favourite part of demidov’s game, his skating style. I can’t wait to see it game after game. It explains why demidov is the first prospect to perfect the “Mohawk” skating style and why:

“if it all works out, he can push whatever team he plays for down a path that may just change the game forever.”
Thanks for the link it was a great read. His skating is also why i like Demidov so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad