Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Why did he get healthy scratched then? And only out up 4 points?
4 points means nothing, he is a young player playing limited minutes.
Healthy scratch can just be a preference since other players are more experienced.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Sick hands? There isn't a forward on the Oilers that had more plays die on their stick than Ryan Mcleod. Guy went on like a 2 week heater while out there with Drai and Foegele in December, otherwise nothing else. Guy had 1 goal in the final 20 games of the regular season.
I like McLeod just fine, but yeah, "hands" is not a dominant area of his game.

He's gone months at a time without a goal several times as an Oiler.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Slick. Yes, there was, his name was Warren Foegele. Mcleod doesn’t lose the puck with his stick handles, the puck stays on his stick like it’s stuck on with glue. Execution with his hands wasn’t his issue. There are other reasons for his mediocre offence though, his hands aren’t it.
He loses the pick the second an opposing player comes within a few feet of him. Absolutely allergic to contact.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Don't see Savoie helping Oilers in the short run which really the only focus Oilers need to have when they are so close to the cup. I mean he couldn't make the Sabres last year.

Also Oilers window is closing. Still, might be able to move Savoie for some vet help later in the season if they can get some cap space.
Not if that window includes the next contracts of 97 and 29.

It’s going to be sad day for Canuck and Flame fans when they re-sign.

The list of things your fanbases are clinging to to cope is getting shorter by the day.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Trades like this are always interesting because you can clearly see that there is a strong team bias in play and sometimes you can literally see fans flip flop stances, like team A has player 1 and team B has player 2. They are proposed for each other in a trade on this forum. Team A says player 1 has more value and player 2 sucks. Team B fans say the opposite. Suddenly the fans flip flop stances after a real trade
No, you never trade a player drafted 2 years ago 9th overall for a 4th liner. Whether Savoie ever reaches his potential is not even the issue.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Edmonton getting ready for Draisaitl going to Chicago or Boston next offseason

Buffalo hosed

McLeod was healthy scratch at times in playoffs

Poor Sabres
???

This is a move that will allow EDM to have a strong offensive cost controlled player ready for the roster when Draisaitl and McDavid sign their extensions.

Quote from Draisaitls agent today to German press
Screenshot_20240705_113422_Chrome.jpg

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
I am far too lazy to read through this thread. So I will add my wonderful two cents here as a non-fan of either team: Jeff Jackson is a wizard. McLeod is a fantastic skater, but frustratingly ineffective so often. Nice player, but definitely expendable for Edmonton. Unless Savoie looks like a total bust -- which is laughable, because he's 20 -- this is (potentially) insane value for Edmonton. If the Oilers end up hiring the assault-enabler instead of King Jackson, holy shit that's ridiculous.
King Jackson doesn’t want the job.

And yes, we’re all sad about it too.

Reactions: Vukotal Recall

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
4 points means nothing, he is a young player playing limited minutes.
Healthy scratch can just be a preference since other players are more experienced.
Hmm, Oilers have thought different.

McLeod was terrible in the playoffs, he literally accomplished nothing 5 on 5, and made some very costly mistakes.

I do like how you're coming to his defense now that he's no longer an Oiler though :laugh:

Reactions: Oilhawks

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He loses the pick the second an opposing player comes within a few feet of him. Absolutely allergic to contact.
No he hangs on to pucks well. Can circle the entire o zone with the puck on his stick. Doesn’t seem to have the brain to figure out what to do next though. And yes he shies away from contact.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Ok so he is not a NHL player ? Weird trade then
He is absolutely an NHL player. He's just frustrating as he has some issues that prevent him from taking the next step to being a really good middle six player - strength, physicality, and an average shot all leave you wanting more, but he is absolutely still a good NHL player. He's like a young Andrew Cogliano in many ways. You'll like him. Then you'll be frustrated as he turns a grade A chance into a wrist shot in the stomach.

The big issue for him on the Oilers is that he had a really rough playoffs, aside from when he was on the pk.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
They kind of backed themselves into a corner by always picking BPA on their list, which usually turns out to be a winger. They already have Peterka, Benson, and Quinn in the NHL. Kulich and Rosen in the AHL. Ostlund coming over and just drafted Helenius.

Only so much room, and zero room for another small, skilled winger. Which in retrospect, you question that Savoie pick since Mintyukov and Mateychuk were still available.

Savoie probably hasn't progressed as they were hoping, but he's still a blue chip prospect.
Yeah, teams need to vary their draft picks. It's not like other GMs can't look at a prospect/player pool and see when teams have a surplus of a certain type of player. Ducks fans are going to be annoyed when the return for one of their young forward prospects is inevitably underwhelming, same with Habs fans and one of their young defense prospects.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Buffalo traded from a surplus of assets for something they were sorely lacking. Winning hockey games >>>> losing hockey trades. They want a team that's a PITA to play against, and Mcleod fits that mold. Edmonton got great value, but 3Cs with some snarl aren't cheap. Glad Savoie is going out west, atleast.

Are you serious? McLeod was arguably the softest player on our entire team. He is NOT a "PITA to play again", he does NOT have anything even resembling "snarl", hell, he's not even really a C, he is more of a winger and was used as such.

Look, I like McLeod a lot honestly, but its really obvious that people haven't watched this player.

Buffalo got a guy who can help you win, he is great defensively, has speed to burn, has some offensive punch and is still young. He is good player, but he is not anything like you suggested.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
People realize that Adams has been offering Savoie to teams around the league and McLeod was the best offer he got. If Savoie was such a sure thing why didn't we get a better offer?

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
Pretty nice move for Edmonton, silly asset management by Buffalo. McLeod is a fine enough player, but trading a 9th overall essentially for a capdump is wild. What was Buffalo thinking picking Savoie if they didn't see him as a potential core piece?

Also, I don't really see this as a total fleecing; what is the likelihood of Savoie ending up better than say Conor Garland? Similar junior careers, and Conor Garland on a good contract maybe wouldn't get you McLeod in a trade, because good small forwards are like goaltenders on the trade market, they just don't have value.

Just shaking my head at using a 9th overall pick for someone who was so obviously never seen to be potential core piece.
It took garland 2 seasons in the AHL before he was a ppg and called up. Savoie only has a small sample of AHL games but he's already looking like he's a ppg guy in the AHL. This season will tell.

I'm biased against small forwards too but you look at the stats of guys like point, stankoven, and debrincat in their draft years and you question how they dropped so far. Savoie was a consensus top 10 pick and the size risk is built into that ranking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad