Atlantic Division - Where will the Habs finish in 24-25?

Where will the Habs end up?

• Total voters

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I expect 5-teams from Atlantic to make playoffs, Fla and Bos will yield pts to other teams making the gap from 1-7 in division closer. Metro division got a lot weaker & older over the off season

Habs will battle it out w Det/Buf/Sens for final wildcard spot on the backs of a min top-10 PP - don’t see Habs w less than 90 pts season (likely in 93-96 range)

All contingent on Habs not suffering another major season ending injury to a core player like Dach last season

Last edited:

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
This past season's standings for reference:

1. Florida - 110 pts
2. Boston - 109 pts
3. Toronto - 102 pts
4. Tampa Bay - 98 pts
5. Detroit - 91 pts
6. Buffalo - 84 pts
7. Ottawa - 78 pts
8. Montreal - 76 pts
Probably looks exactly like that again.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Shouldn't we be doing the Conference placing first? :skeptic:
We could have got three threads out of the subject.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Ha, the prediction game.

Here we go at #5 surprising everyone....everybody will be shocked and it will be mainly because some other team (for once) will be riddle with injuries.

Habs will suddenly have one of the best PP in the NHL
Primeau will take the #1 spot and we will have 3 forwards above PPG.
Hutson will come in at 5'11'' and 179lbs and end the season with the Calder.

Why in the hell not ?

• Love
Reactions: Lshap and Seb

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
We had 27 one goal game losses last year.

I think on the whole, the Atlantic division is weakening. The Eastern Conference as a whole is also weakening. The good teams after Florida are not without flaws. Are Ottawa, Buffalo, and Detroit really that much more poised to exit purgatory than we are?

Last is definitely possible but I could see a 6th place finish as well.

Reactions: salbutera

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
More than the standings, this is what I want to see:
  • Suzuki establish himself as a ppg C
  • Slaf continue his insane development curve
  • Dach play 70+ games and finally set a career reference
  • Roy be in the top10 Calder conversation
  • Strong showings for Hutson, Mailloux and Reinbacher
Those are my wishes wherever we finish in the standings,
voted 6th coz why not

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Does Ottawa have players who are going to progress? I look at that core and outside of Sanderson, they all look properly developed. Tkachuk and Stutzle might have another gear but I think we've seen their individual best seasons.

Reactions: Guhlay

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
We had 27 one goal game losses last year.

I think on the whole, the Atlantic division is weakening. The Eastern Conference as a whole is also weakening. The good teams after Florida are not without flaws. Are Ottawa, Buffalo, and Detroit really that much more poised to exit purgatory than we are?

Last is definitely possible but I could see a 6th place finish as well.
Metro’s also weaker:
- Canes are a weaker roster
- Philly overachieved last year
- Caps & Isles are aging teams (one of not both teams won’t make the playoffs)

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Ha, the prediction game.

Here we go at #5 surprising everyone....everybody will be shocked and it will be mainly because some other team (for once) will be riddle with injuries.

Habs will suddenly have one of the best PP in the NHL
Primeau will take the #1 spot and we will have 3 forwards above PPG.
Hutson will come in at 5'11'' and 179lbs and end the season with the Calder.

Why in the hell not ?
Our PP should improve. New coach, Hutson and Dach will be back. Hopefully Cole's shot is better. Suzuki has a great shot himself and our second unit will probably be good too.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Our PP should improve. New coach, Hutson and Dach will be back. Hopefully Cole's shot is better. Suzuki has a great shot himself and our second unit will probably be good too.

And there's also Newhook who showed at the end of the season that he's really good in the bumper position, we should have 2 good waves if everybody's healthy next year.....can't wait for Demidov to join this PP too!

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
More than the standings, this is what I want to see:
  • Suzuki establish himself as a ppg C
  • Slaf continue his insane development curve
  • Dach play 70+ games and finally set a career reference
  • Roy be in the top10 Calder conversation
  • Strong showings for Hutson, Mailloux and Reinbacher
Those are my wishes wherever we finish in the standings,
voted 6th coz why not

That would be an ideal situation. Adding to that would be a good return in the trades of the other guys that are now clearly beat by these younger guys.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
MSL was already running the PP, don’t think it will change with a new assistant

Does Ottawa have players who are going to progress? I look at that core and outside of Sanderson, they all look properly developed. Tkachuk and Stutzle might have another gear but I think we've seen their individual best seasons.
Pinto and Greig

And like us for Dach, a healthy Norris will help them. Plus they now have a #1 goalie

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
MSL was already running the PP, don’t think it will change with a new assistant

Pinto and Greig

And like us for Dach, a healthy Norris will help them. Plus they now have a #1 goalie
Norris will never be healthy. Even worse odds than Dach of playing more than 30 games in a season.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Mark my word Ullmark will be a disaster in OTT and Korpisalo will be the top backup of the league. Goaltender are as succesful as the team in front of them, don't see Ullmark being a game changer with a defense worse than last year in OTT.

BUT

We will still finish behing them next year and then 1-2 free agents for us and we will be in the PO portait

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

They are like the ugly reflection of the Boston Bruins.

The bruins keep getting counted out each year, and they only keep comfortably making the playoffs year after year.

The Senators get hyped every year like they are finally going to make the playoffs, and stay there for a long time, yet they keep crashing and burning towards the lottery picture.

For the habs, I'll say 8th is the most likely, and the absolute ceiling is 5th spot. The ceiling is more a criticism of the bottom half of this division than it is a compliment for montreal.

Last edited:

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I can only see us getting ahead of Detroit. I just can't fathom Buffalo and Ottawa doing worse next year than last.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
It’s too early to tell, but I think the “improvements” by other teams in our division are widely exaggerated. I don’t see a single team where the additions far outweigh what they lost. Every team in our division took risks and there are several I just don’t see paying off. MTL has had no notable losses this offseason and is set to improve significantly in key areas. My only real concern is with our goaltending.

Nothing is guaranteed, but I think the Habs are more competitive this year than last. While it didn’t always show up as wins, this team was consistently involved in meaningful games throughout the year. Change even a couple of those one goal games and OTLs for wins and we’re having a very different conversation right now. For a team that outplayed Detroit in desperation games to end the year (with a severely depleted roster) and still barely beat out OTT for last place, there’s a lot of room to move up. Dach alone could be a significant addition right out of the gate.

It takes only one of Guhle, Hutson, Xhekaj, Struble, Barron, Harris, Mailloux, Reinbacher, or Engstrom to have taken a meaningful step in their development over the summer to make a positive impact on our defence group. While I’d definitely like to see a big addition up front, Newhook and Roy have the capacity to play in the top-6 and it’s possible that one of our vets having career-worst seasons before 30 could turn it around a bit and contribute on the 3rd line. Fingers crossed we see a move though.

We’re potentially looking at a wave of growth and development, not incremental changes or sideways moves, and I think that should be reason for optimism. Even without acquiring a top-6 forward, I’d still put us as competing for 5th in the division.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I can only see us getting ahead of Detroit. I just can't fathom Buffalo and Ottawa doing worse next year than last.
They don't need to get worst, they just need to not improve while the Habs do.

Are people really expecting Travis Green to somehow turn the Sens into a contender?
And Luff with Buffalo, I consider the Devils to have a better roster than Buffalo...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad