Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
There have been highly touted busts. What makes you think Demidov won't bust, or just be a good offensive player without being a star?
It is not impossible, and all of our high draft picks in the decade prior to Slafkovsky have busted.

My concerns regarding Demidov are less than those that I had with Kotkaniemi because the former was not an unexpected reach based in part on position and need, but until they hit NHL ice, every prospect is worthy of cautious optimism.

With Demidov, fundamentals of his game that should translate well to the NHL - IQ, Vision, shot - are more refined, and there are no injury uncertainties or, as far as we and Bobrov, who has been familiar with him for years, toxic family influences. Those alone separate him from Galchenyuk and Kotkaniemi.

Reactions: 26Mats

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Is anyone else worried that opposing teams will aim for his knees when he's doing the 10-2 skating in the offensive zone?
They’re gonna have a very hard time catching him, he moves like Cale Makar on the blue line but does it in the slot

Reactions: BigM2

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
What a turn of events

All the bitching and moaning last year especially down the stretch about the Habs making every “meaningless” game “our Stanley cup”

WELL WE GOT OUR GUY

IT WAS ALL WORTH IT

and now he’ll eventually be joining a team with a winning mentality that doesn’t pout, give up, check out…just incredible stuff for HuGo to work with. We may not make the playoffs next year, but this team is gonna have that dawg in them when they do.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It is not impossible, and all of our high draft picks in the decade prior to Slafkovsky have busted.

My concerns regarding Demidov are less than those that I had with Kotkaniemi because the former was not an unexpected reach based in part on position and need, but until they hit NHL ice, every prospect is worthy of cautious optimism.

With Demidov, fundamentals of his game that should translate well to the NHL - IQ, Vision, shot - are more refined, and there are no injury uncertainties or, as far as we and Bobrov, who has been familiar with him for years, toxic family influences. Those alone separate him from Galchenyuk and Kotkaniemi.
As much as Galchenyuk's dad may have been a bad influence let's face it who else was Galchenyuk supposed to go to for advice? Michel Therien?

Having a GM/coach/development staff that actually care and will try to help goes a long way too.

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
As much as Galchenyuk's dad may have been a bad influence let's face it who else was Galchenyuk supposed to go to for advice? Michel Therien?

Having a GM/coach/development staff that actually care and will try to help goes a long way too.
In no way diminishing the failures of our coaching staff during that era, of which I was, in my own circles, one of the most vociferous of critics. Many factors contributed to both prospects' failures, and I was merely discussing a handful of them, but you're entirely correct regarding the lack of proper guidance - Galchenyuk stepped out of a toxic environment with his father and into another one with the coaching and managerial staff in one of the worst cities for "rich, and famous" kids.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
His skating speed might only project as NHL average to me, but he's seems to have really good edgework and agility. Maybe he'll find another gear in his speed with some added strength and refined technique.

In any case, he's got high end IQ and offensive creativity, and when coupled with a set of elite puck skills, he's going to be a serious threat offensively for years in the NHL even with just average straight line speed.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
For what it's worth, I think it's partially a coincidence as a team like NJ would probably go LD even if some of the others were available, having said such I think GMs always value tools (handedness sometimes a part of this) more than toolbox because they believe the latter can be provided through years of development and reps.

Funny enough, the six d-men were drafted almost in reverse order of my own preferences. You can switch up Silayev and Dickinson or Parekh and Yakemchuk for me.

Speaking of preferences, I can still confirm Demidov is a Hab :D

I am also baffled by the order at which the dman were picked and i honestly expected a run on dman and the opposite happened.

It cant be overstated how lucky we are to have Demidov

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
His skating speed might only project as NHL average to me, but he's seems to have really good edgework and agility. Maybe he'll find another gear in his speed with some added strength and refined technique.

In any case, he's got high end IQ and offensive creativity, and when coupled with a set of elite puck skills, he's going to be a serious threat offensively for years in the NHL even with just average straight line speed.

His skating is unique in the same way that Bedard release is.

His edge and 10-2 technique opens the play and gives an incredible edge in board fight and when the play is tight.

I dont worry one second about his top end speed just like we dont worry about Bedard one-timer.

Reactions: Matthew McConaughay

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
I mean...

Everyone has to worry about that.
Would be my 'as nice as possible' answer lol
Ya but when he does it his speed drastically drops and his legs remain stiff which (maybe) makes it easier for opponents to aim there if they're ready for it.

Last edited:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I love the idea of having him on the second line, just because he'd torch the competition and the Suzuki-Slaf can take on the first lines. I know Slaf could play LW, but I like him and Demidov both staying at RW.

Demidov should be playing with the habs best forwards

Laboeuf

Apr 14, 2013
Heard Demidov measures 6’1” 180lbs. Hage looks like he still has room might top out 6’3” 210 lbs. these are two very good top 6 players. Slafkovsky is already 6’4” 220lbs. Add
Dach at 6’4” 210. Players like Caufield and Newhood will be well insulated. Suzuki is 5’11” but thick.

Slafkovsky Suzuki Demidov
Caufield Dach Hage
Roy Beck Mesar

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Heard Demidov measures 6’1” 180lbs. Hage looks like he still has room might top out 6’3” 210 lbs. these are two very good top 6 players. Slafkovsky is already 6’4” 220lbs. Add
Dach at 6’4” 210. Players like Caufield and Newhood will be well insulated. Suzuki is 5’11” but thick.

Slafkovsky Suzuki Demidov
Caufield Dach Hage
Roy Beck Mesar

Demidov is 192 lbs

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
More like can we give some love to CHI, ANA and CLB for passing on Demidov. Celine Dion could have made that pick without being given the notes it was so obvious.

Yes, yes, yes and why do you think they all passed on Demidov? You think it's all magic or destiny?

Nah, Brobrov came in clutch with the smear campaign at the combine. Brobrov came through once again.

JD3TImv.png

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
Imo, NHL Demidov won't be attempting to dangle around whole teams every shift like in does in the MHL, I don't think that would work in the higher levels, but when he's going to have to beat that one guy to open up space for him or his teammates, I'm confident he'll be able to do it with consistency and ease.

He's definitely going to have to get faster/more explosive though, but I have no doubt he'll be able to have adequate speed to play his game in the NHL.

Reactions: Habssince89

Kiirin

Apr 2, 2023
Engstrom and Konyshyukov are both guys who may slot into a top pair/4 role. Also, there are basically no pairs of dmen in the league anymore where both log 25+ minutes…

I really wish people would stop putting all of our prospects on the nhl team - no way Mailloux will play as a 6d for us. He’ll be traded before that.
I'm talking about building a championship-caliber team and not your average 2nd round contender, that's why having another dmen who can play 25 minutes come playoff time with David will make the Habs a standout over other franchises of the league. I'm fine if you could trade Mailloux while his value is currently at its highest but I can't trust this guy as a top 4 with his current level of decision-making and I don't think he's not offensively talented enough like a Hutson to compensate for his defensive problems. At best he's probably a third pairing dman with some 2nd unit power play time. IDK what you mean by "all our prospects" when I only listed our current players who already proved themselves to be NHL players with 5 prospects (Fowler, Hutson, Beck, Demidov, and Hage) whom I think all have the potential to become regular players on any team come 2028.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad