Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Probably old news but my mind is still blown by how much the stars had to align for us to get Demidov. An important decision point was Anaheim. Rumour is they were deciding between two players before going with Sennecke. If the other player they were considering was Demidov, and they went with him, he isn’t a Hab today. If the other player was Lindstrom and they snabbed him. Then CLB likely would have traded the pick (probably to Chicago), who would have then took Demidov.

We got so damn lucky!
This is why I never understood why "Scouts/GMs" get accolades for obvious no brainers... i mean if there is something Hugo actually did to make Demidov fall to #5 then I stand corrected, otherwise any Russian and his pet bear could have made that selection.
This is not the same as making the Rainmkr pick, that was GMing. Demidov is in a different stratosphere (as it relates to Habs core) vs Michkov, sure their skill might wow us equally but Demi has the personality that works in MTL.

Reactions: Doc5

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Bergevins eras are as follows 2012-17, 2018-2020, 2021. Let's just get the last one out of the way. You gave a great synopsis on this one already so no need to delve. It was horrific. The retool that took place between 2018 summer and 2020 fall was actually pretty decent, MBs one saving grace. It set up a foundation for HuGo to start a rebuild with instead of doing it from scratch like other bottom feeders teams. The first era, I disagree with you @habshalifax. It was awful. He should've been fired after the 2017-18 season. Everyone knew it. But Geoff Molson gave him a second chance so he could begin his retool, which as stated above, was pretty good, but should've never happened under his tenure. When MB got the GM spot, he had a young Price, Subban, Pacioretty, and a 3rd OA pick. Instead of bolstering his team to become a real contender, he went total bargain bin and played it overly conservative under the notion of not sacrificing the future for the present. The most obvious example is the infamous 2017 TDL. Well that's great and all if all his drafts from 2012-2017 didn't absolutely suck.

I'm usually pretty temperate when it comes to MBs tenure but that's only because of his retooling years. What came before and afterwards if isolated, is probably the worst GMing in Habs history with context
Im particularly fond of our $9M Capspace winger MB relied on while the greatest goaltender on the planet rotted away in net with DD as his #1C.. all so we could draft the likes of Juulsen, McCarron, Tinordi and Beaulieu.. Galchenyuk however was the right pick at #3, that draft year was Historically bad.

Reactions: Chr1s97

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
This is why I never understood why "Scouts/GMs" get accolades for obvious no brainers... i mean if there is something Hugo actually did to make Demidov fall to #5 then I stand corrected, otherwise any Russian and his pet bear could have made that selection.
This is not the same as making the Rainmkr pick, that was GMing. Demidov is in a different stratosphere (as it relates to Habs core) vs Michkov, sure their skill might wow us equally but Demi has the personality that works in MTL.

That makes no sense. If the habs had drafted Michkov, you wouldve said it was a no brainer. If you were a ducks, jackets, or hawks fan, you wouldve said that Demidov was a no brainer at their pick. Yet, those teams passed on him.

The fact of the matter is there's a lot more that goes into picking a player than just looking at their upside.

From the last few drafts, Bedard and Celebrini were the only complete no brainer picks. There weren't any argument for not picking them. For Demidov and others, there were arguments to not pick them.

Last edited:

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
That makes no sense. If the habs had drafted Michkov, you wouldve said it was a no brainer. If you were a ducks, jackets, or hawks fan, you wouldve said that Demidov was a no brainer at their pick. Yet, those teams passed on him.

The fact of the matter is there's a lot more that goes into picking a player than just looking at their upside.
As it relates to our team and needs.. CHI was 50/50 could have gone either way.. Levshunov is a stud 1RD very rare.
Anaheim is the surprise but i understand their logic as it relates to their needs. Remember, US teams face a lot more public scrutiny for "Russians" bc of the war (it's something to consider).
CLB clearly valued the big hulking 1C (though more volatile).

What other player could the Habs have taken here (instead of Demi)? Tij, Buium?

Ps. I didn't want Michkov.. so im happy with Reinbacher..

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Demidov on the other hand has what I’d classify as two elite traits (hands, vision) and then even his lesser traits are still good to great (good size, good to great skating and shot)… from a pure trait perspective he’s gotta be one of the highest graded guys I’ve seen enter the draft (Celebrini pretty similar this year).
well said. I would add that the lesser traits are technical (shot, skating) and its not unreasonable for those tools to improve. His Hands and Vision are unreal.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
As it relates to our team and needs.. CHI was 50/50 could have gone either way.. Levshunov is a stud 1RD very rare.
Anaheim is the surprise but i understand their logic as it relates to their needs. Remember, US teams face a lot more public scrutiny for "Russians" bc of the war (it's something to consider).
CLB clearly valued the big hulking 1C (though more volatile).

What other player could the Habs have taken here (instead of Demi)? Tij, Buium?

Ps. I didn't want Michkov.. so im happy with Reinbacher..

None of those are good reasons to pass on Demidov from a fan pov. Why is Chicago, who has good depth on D and very little at forward, passing on the perfect partner for Bedard?

Why is Anaheim reaching for a less good and risker prospect just because he's right handed instead of left handed?

Why is Columbus passing on a potential Kucherov for a player with back problem?

If the habs had passed on Demidov, the narrative would've been that Demidov presented too much risks (re-signing in Russia, having only played against low level competition, not many players had success in the nhl with his skating style, etc.), and there were safer player with good upside available (Iginla, Catton, Dickinson, Buium). You can make up plenty of reasons for passing on a player...

Reactions: themilosh

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC

Leaving this here as it deals with my favourite part of demidov’s game, his skating style. I can’t wait to see it game after game. It explains why demidov is the first prospect to perfect the “Mohawk” skating style and why:

“if it all works out, he can push whatever team he plays for down a path that may just change the game forever.”
Speaking of, that same blogger made a post where he had Michkov falling due to big worries in his game:

The Conundrum of Matvei Michkov

Reactions: waitin425

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wait what? Who deserves credit is BS? Weren't you the one who posted the comparison between MB and KH? And made it a competition by saying KH is now winning by selecting Demidov?!? lol

C'mon man.

And nope, I wouldn't call HuGo geniuses for selecting Demidov. That's which they were supposed to pick at #5 if he was available. Just like MB with Caufield.

It's simple. It's a list of players acquired by each GM. Sorry, I don't buy the "credit" thingy by saying he shouldn't get credit for drafting Caufield.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
There’s luck involved for sure. In the two draft we picked 3OA, there was no elite forward available at our picks even if with the benefit of hindsight we picked the best. We got Galchenyuk and KK. The others available were Hertl, Forsberg and Brady Tkachuk. Tkachuk would have been a much better pick but he’s more in the Slafkovsky Power Forward mold. Not an elite skilled forward.

How much was Hugo’s decision gamesmanship? Was it only luck? As regards elite forwards, we’ve had no luck for 53 years at the draft table. As a fan I don’t care how smart and shrewd the draft teams have been. I never had all their data when they make their picks. Not getting the job done, they get judged harshly. Conversely, positive vibes follow getting that elite forward.

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
If Demidov was such an obvious choice he wouldn't have been available at #5, so yes if he does well in a few years HuGo will deserve the credit.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I go to bed thinking about Demigod, I wake up thinking about demigod, and now I'm dreaming about demigod. Had a great dream lol all I remember is him walking into the arena in an all white suite with a white hat, eating a slice of pizza. There was a big game going on but I forget what happened - was mad hype though.

More I watch and read about him, more hyped I get. I genuinely think this guy will surpass expectations as crazy as that sounds. We're all talking about his all world skill but for me it's also his mentality and compete that will make him one of the best players in the whole league. That combo of skill and drive is SO rare these days, even in other sports. He's perfect

His floor is superstar and ceiling is franchise player. Going all in with the hype on this guy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Been waiting since the Kovalev and then Subban era for this, feels like a new era when we get to see Demidov and Hutson play.
Hopefully the Habs market these guys well.

Habs fans right now after adding Demidov. I dare you say our pool lacks quality now!

giphy.gif

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Imagine the power play guys in 2 years.....!!!!

-Hutson as the chief orchestra
-Demidov on the right circle as a great passer and he is lefty

- Caufield on the left side for one timer

- Suzuki at the goal red line on the left side like this year.

- Slaf at bumper or Dach but I can see Slaf cause he will be also a presence in front of the net.

In French we say...: Le puck va se promener en calvaire!!!

I can see a top 5 pp in the league !!

Last edited:

CaptnNemo

Nov 4, 2016
I go to bed thinking about Demigod, I wake up thinking about demigod, and now I'm dreaming about demigod. Had a great dream lol all I remember is him walking into the arena in an all white suite with a white hat, eating a slice of pizza. There was a big game going on but I forget what happened - was mad hype though.

More I watch and read about him, more hyped I get. I genuinely think this guy will surpass expectations as crazy as that sounds. We're all talking about his all world skill but for me it's also his mentality and compete that will make him one of the best players in the whole league. That combo of skill and drive is SO rare these days, even in other sports. He's perfect

His floor is superstar and ceiling is franchise player. Going all in with the hype on this guy
I agree..I dream about this everyday and can foresee him being more than we expect and even more than other team's fans expect.

I would dare to say that with the way HuGo are building this team...I can see us winning the cup 3-4 times in the next 10 to 12 years

Maybe a damn good dream or I'm way off but nonetheless it makes me really happy and positive right now and that's what's important! Loll 😁🙏💪

• Love
Reactions: HabzSauce

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
There are numerous variables involved - Demigod isn’t a Verbeek type of player, Hawks desperately need a top pairing RD prospect, Sens are very weary of drafting NCAA players given recent history of exercising clout which puts small Cdn markets at more peril. Then there’s the whole owner factor.

It only took 10-years to reveal, Edm scouts absolutely wanted nothing to do with Yakupov but were overruled by their owner …

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Such a treat to restudy Demidov now with the knowledge that he’s ours. The thing that really stands out is how great his tools are across the board. I’ve graded a lot of players over the years, and usually guys (talking first rounders here) have maybe one elite trait, and then are generally average elsewhere, or they are kind of above average across the board but lacking a standout trait.

Demidov on the other hand has what I’d classify as two elite traits (hands, vision) and then even his lesser traits are still good to great (good size, good to great skating and shot)… from a pure trait perspective he’s gotta be one of the highest graded guys I’ve seen enter the draft (Celebrini pretty similar this year).

That all said, it really is hard to project guys beyond who they share the ice with and the fact he was stuck in Russia makes stat projections difficult.

But to me though I’d feel pretty confident projecting him as a top line ppg winger and if things really come together he could be even better than that.

It’s honestly gonna be a long year lol can’t wait until he’s making his debut my god it will be electric.

His skating, precisely his mohawk or 10-2 style is also not only elite, but also unique, in the same way that Bedard release is. I have notice that it open the plays like i have rarely seen in the o-zone but also gives a sincere edge in the d-zone and in board battle.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
There are numerous variables involved - Demigod isn’t a Verbeek type of player,

By wanting to go big brain, Verbeek showed us that he was the most stupid man in the room.

May they enjoy Sennecke.

KK level blunder.

Imagine having a type of player and letting franchise talent go away.

Who can sincerely and genuinely watch Demidov and say he is not my type of player?

Its a complete non-sense.

Has good size. He is gritty, gives an excellent two way effort and fight like a dog in the corner. Thats on top of displaying absolute elite talent.

Its more about that they havent scouted him live and havent met him and they p***yed out.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Not sure how true is this: I've heard that Demidov is only the 2nd player that gets 2 ppg in MHL. The first player is Gusev who accomplished that at age of 20, and with help of a young Kucherov.

Only 2 players having 2 ppg in MHL history !

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
By wanting to go big brain, Verbeek showed us that he was the most stupid man in the room.

May they enjoy Sennecke.

KK level blunder.

Imagine having a type of player and letting franchise talent go away.

Who can sincerely and genuinely watch Demidov and say he is not my type of player?

Its a complete non-sense.

Has good size. He is gritty, gives an excellent two way effort and fight like a dog in the corner. Thats on top of displaying absolute elite talent.

Its more about that they havent scouted him live and havent met him and they p***yed out.
Not really… little ball of hate like Zito in Fla likes smash mouth hockey vs pousse caca ballerina style and needs players who embody that style & philosophy to be successful. That’s all.

There isn’t one way to construct a winning roster or win the Cup…

Also the picks of Sennecke & Solberg should once and for all explain why Zegras MAY potentially be available….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad