Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Hell, Flyers is doing blunder after blunder. (apart Michkov)

Imagine getting Buium but finally not selecting him for a f***ing 3rd RD pick in 2025,
An egregious error to be sure - one that matches Montreal's last year; Buium's slide in the draft will be discussed alongside that of Fowler in 2010.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Turns out Sennecke and Iggy were close after all and in a close waive to Demidov. I had Sennecke outside of this slightly but I understand what the Ducks see. My evaluation on Sennecke was off. I had him 8-12 range. But spot on with Demidov and Iggy.

I'm not surprised the forwards got just as much or more attention than the D. Have we learned any lessons on this? Deep D draft and you must take BPA (D!) :laugh:. That's for the gullible types in case you didn't notice. Must have said it 20 times or more. I see a lot of top 4D and a lot of top 6F. Not all of those D will be top pairing. I see equal chance at hitting on a top pairing D vs a top line F. Many teams seen it the same obviously.

I still wanted Iggy really bad, but would have picked Demidov after I seen his height/weight.

Angler

Apr 23, 2017
I love this pick. It completely changes the dynamic of the rebuild for me. I felt like they were on the right track before (even if I disagreed with one or two decisions), but now they have catapulted themselves into the final stage. The Habs are crazy lucky to have been able to pick a guy like this at 5. He also seems like he is embracing the limelight that comes with playing in Montreal, which is important.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Feel bad for poor Carey if anything lol

Imagine a year ago
You've got ol Carey walking up to the podium and BUNGLING up the name of a pick we all DIDN'T want lol.. (I actually like Reinbacher, and thrilled to have him honestly, no joke) it's just it obviously wasn't what we and the masses were yearning for..
But there's poor Carey just CRUSHING our spirits and botching the name lol..

Imagine going from that to
Stunning the crowd bringing in CELINE, Quebec AND Vegas royalty,
And she announces , forget the pick we ALL want, the best pick we've made in the last 20 YEARS
And all the emotions and jubilation that followed

What a contrast lmao
Poor Carey! :laugh:

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I love this pick. It completely changes the dynamic of the rebuild for me. I felt like they were on the right track before (even if I disagreed with one or two decisions), but now they have catapulted themselves into the final stage. The Habs are crazy lucky to have been able to pick a guy like this at 5. He also seems like he is embracing the limelight that comes with playing in Montreal, which is important.
Yes, it was entirely, as in 100%, a function of luck/good fortune that we are able to land him, not because of any planning or skill by HuGo. But who cares? We got him, that's all that matters, not how we got him.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Yes, it was entirely, as in 100%, a function of luck/good fortune that we are able to land him, not because of any planning or skill by HuGo. But who cares? We got him, that's all that matters, not how we got him.

It ultimately saves the Habs from having to go get a big FA like what Gorton did in new York with Panarin. That would've been the alternative. Now the team gets that player internally on the cheap to start and maybe on team friendly contracts in the future

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Got to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good. That's how I would explain situations like this.

Some fans really do think the Bruins were a genius by drafting Pasta 25th. Then the following season, they had picks 13, 14, 15 and ended up with only Debrusk. Missed on Barzal & Connor. Tampa was a genius for drafting Vasi 19th. Well, they did have the 10th pick too. Keokkeok? If they knew Vasi would be that good, they take him 10th

I agree. Caufield slipping to us was luck. Demidov slipping to us is also luck. It's a huge part of drafting and scouts are like meteorologist... 50% or more accurate and they get a raise.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016

Imagine a year ago
You've got ol Carey walking up to the podium and BUNGLING up the name of a pick we all DIDN'T want lol.. (I actually like Reinbacher, and thrilled to have him honestly, no joke) it's just it obviously wasn't what we and the masses were yearning for..

And she announces , forget the pick we ALL want, the best pick we've made in the last 20 YEARS

What a contrast lmao

That was 100% on Carey tho. Just a total brain fart but it's not serious. I don't think Reinbacher took it personally or anything. I also think it makes it easier for Reinbacher that bobrov came out and basically said we knew all the Russian kids and we were more interested in demidov since before last draft. Basically reaffirms that the organization was all in on him at 5 last year. And just a year prior, I know we don't like to talk about it, but most fans were upset with the Slaf pick. I was fine with it at the time cause I was on the Cooley train but realized Habs weren't gonna pick him. But I heard a louder cheer for demidov in Vegas than I did for Slaf IN MONTREAL. He seems to have gotten over it lol

Reactions: Redux91

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's just crazy how this good fortune has turned the rebuild around.

I still believed in the Hugo build, but I was not sure how they'd accomplish it without a superstar forward. Now, Slaf has plenty of runway to be that so maybe it would have sorted itself out.

But Demidov is the type of player you make sure has the puck on his stick in big moments. We have that player now and now the biggest question mark of the rebuild is answered.

Now it's just do we have the right horses, the right mix, to win it all when the vision comes together.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's just crazy how this good fortune has turned the rebuild around.

I still believed in the Hugo build, but I was not sure how they'd accomplish it without a superstar forward. Now, Slaf has plenty of runway to be that so maybe it would have sorted itself out.

But Demidov is the type of player you make sure has the puck on his stick in big moments. We have that player now and now the biggest question mark of the rebuild is answered.

Now it's just do we have the right horses, the right mix, to win it all when the vision comes together.

There have been highly touted busts. What makes you think Demidov won't bust, or just be a good offensive player without being a star?

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Interesting that out of the "big six" defenders, the order ended up being:

1. All the RD, starting from the player who hockey men love the most down to the gifted maestro

2. All the LD, in descending order of size

Could be a coincidence.
Good observation.

Top RD are so rare. GM reach for them each and every draft

There have been highly touted busts. What makes you think Demidov won't bust, or just be a good offensive player without being a star?
The same things that makes us say why Celebrini, Carlsson, Fantilli or Bedard won't bust for example

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022

Imagine a year ago

What a contrast lmao
I don’t feel bad. It was dumb of him to not practice the name.

Reactions: rahad and Andrei79

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
The highly touted busts either had injuries issues or personality issues. The first one can impact any prospects, the second was vetted by the team before drafting him.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
It ultimately saves the Habs from having to go get a big FA like what Gorton did in new York with Panarin. That would've been the alternative. Now the team gets that player internally on the cheap to start and maybe on team friendly contracts in the future
That he wouldn't have landed here anyway.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t recall the last guy they drafted that got this much hype. I wish we could see it this year. Hopefully he rips up the khl. He seems like an excellent pick. He definitely has swagger (like Slaf)

He's got the most potential to be a star than anybody I remember us drafting since Price. Nothing guaranteed but he's got that top end skill and someone who can put up 80-100 or more points.

Got to still improve and reach it but yeah, he has very high potential.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I totally believe the vetting process and the development is miles better than before. This team has truly gone in a different direction if not, they would’ve recycled one of their previous GM’s and coaches instead of doing what they did. It really feels like a breath of fresh air these days.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What makes you think he will bust, other than that some others have in the past?

Doubt he will bust. Maybe there is some layer of potential disappointment. The next layer in evaluation is how he adjust to more physical men and less time/space. He is very creative and very hard to catch with his skating. One area I will be looking at is when he takes his chances and when he does not. Remember, Slaf had to learn puck management and that took a bit. Much better with the puck in the 2nd half of last season vs his 1st season or first half of last season. Demidov has to learn this too. Caufield had to learn it.

One area I like is Demidov appears to have high IQ. That is very important because you got to be able to comprehend your own flaws and overcome them. Demidov is going to be very dangerous with the puck on his stick but he will have to learn when to take his chances and when not too.

What we have to remember is it's not about who they are today, it's about who they become at age 20+. Look at when MacKinnon broke out. He was a 50-60 pts player until he turn what? Age 21 or 22?

Reactions: CanadienShark

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

I think the chances of Demidov busting are low. He's extremely talented, has high compete, high iq, he's a good skater, has good character, and has size even.
I think he's got a pretty good chance of becoming at least a 60-70 pts player. The question is if he will reach his potential and become a 100 pts superstar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad