Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think the chances of Demidov busting are low. He's extremely talented, has high compete, high iq, he's a good skater, has good character, and has size even.
I think he's got a pretty good chance of becoming at least a 60-70 pts player. The question is if he will reach his potential and become a 100 pts superstar.

Agreed. 60-70 would be a good base. His hockey IQ seems high to me so I think he comprehends the development challenges playing with less time/space and more physical men well.

If you have rocks for brains (Drouin), and you don't like physical contact, you will not survive on skill alone. Mental compacity on how to overcome challenges is a huge area of development. Hockey IQ does seem high with Demidov. Same with Slaf.

Reactions: Expos94

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I doubt he busts. Scouting in all sports has improved tremendously overs the years, due in large part to the use of analytics, which seem to be highly predictive of outcome. Doesn’t mean he’ll become a superstar but I think the odds that he’s a productive player are pretty good.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
There have been highly touted busts. What makes you think Demidov won't bust, or just be a good offensive player without being a star?
Demidov is a safe bet to be a star player because his biggest asset is his IQ/creativity

He will have less time and space for his agility and hands, but he thinks the game at such a high level and is creative enough to easily overcome the change imo

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't have an idea of Demidov's bust vs. hit his ceiling vs. be something in between. That's why I was asking.

Skating is elite. That is usually the first thing to look at. His skating alone will help him create time/space.

IQ seems high. This part is important because he will face challenges or hurdles. Got to have the mental compacity to comprehend flaws and overcome. Not many have this and is usually the reason why they bust or disappoint.

Shot and Vision/Play Making are very good.

One area we need to see is how he likes playing with physicality from men (not boys or teenagers).
That part is unpredictable but we will get a good sample from the KHL this season. KHL is more physical than MHL.

I for one am very happy he gets to develop in Russia for one more season in the KHL. KHL is a very competitive league

Reactions: Matthew McConaughay

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Gallagher could easily retire if he suffers a major injury and his contract ends before he's healthy. I don't think he has any interest in playing for anyone else.

I don't think 11 will be available but both Demidov and Koivu might want it so we'll see how things time out

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Skating is elite. That is usually the first thing to look at. His skating alone will help him create time/space.

IQ seems high. This part is important because he will face challenges or hurdles. Got to have the mental compacity to comprehend flaws and overcome. Not many have this and is usually the reason why they bust or disappoint.

Shot and Vision/Play Making are very good.

One area we need to see is how he likes playing with physicality from men (not boys or teenagers).
That part is unpredictable but we will get a good sample from the KHL this season. KHL is more physical than MHL.

I for one am very happy he gets to develop in Russia for one more season in the KHL. KHL is a very competitive league
He should handle physicality just fine considering his size by the time he is an NHL regular (6ft 1/2in, ~200lbs)

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He should handle physicality just fine considering his size by the time he is an NHL regular (6ft 1/2in, ~200lbs)

He already doesn't shy away from it. Which is a good sign. I have trouble with those who avoid contact against their own age group, but even in the KHL he would engage physically and get to the front of net as requried.

Reactions: morhilane

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
He already doesn't shy away from it. Which is a good sign. I have trouble with those who avoid contact against their own age group, but even in the KHL he would engage physically and get to the front of net as requried.
With NHL trainers he will be a big(ish), strong forward with elite hands, IQ, and edgework

Just an incredible prospect all around tbh, still can’t get over it

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Depends on if he likes contact or not. Drouin is 6'-0" and 203 lbs. Not saying Demidov will be soft like that but you just don't know about how they adjust to the physical side. I will reserve judgment on this for a later date. For now, we can only guess. I like his chances to overcome that area but that is just my guess.

With Iggy, I was able to see his ability to overcome tight spaces and contact along the boards. With Demidov's highlight video, it was a lot of open space and Demidov skating around guys like they were kids. I tried to dig into that area more but it's hard to find. Got to watch the games to know that better.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Depends on if he likes contact or not. Drouin is 6'-0" and 203 lbs. Not saying Demidov will be soft like that but you just don't know about how they adjust to the physical side.

I will reserve judgment on this for a later date. For now, we can only guess.
Absolutely true, but Demidov already doesn’t shy away from the physical side even in the few KHL games he has played

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I think the chances of Demidov busting are low. He's extremely talented, has high compete, high iq, he's a good skater, has good character, and has size even.
I think he's got a pretty good chance of becoming at least a 60-70 pts player. The question is if he will reach his potential and become a 100 pts superstar.

There's good analysis on him vs michkov. Basically the conclusion was michkov is individually more talented than in in various aspects (obviously not all) but when it comes to their play style, demidov is much more translatable than michkov so they ultimately believed demidov will be better even though they thought michkov is a more talented player. I have no worry about how he'll be at the NHL level honestly. He'll probably be 1 of a dozen game breakers in this league that have already been draft or currently play

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Good observation.

Top RD are so rare. GM reach for them each and every draft

For what it's worth, I think it's partially a coincidence as a team like NJ would probably go LD even if some of the others were available, having said such I think GMs always value tools (handedness sometimes a part of this) more than toolbox because they believe the latter can be provided through years of development and reps.

Funny enough, the six d-men were drafted almost in reverse order of my own preferences. You can switch up Silayev and Dickinson or Parekh and Yakemchuk for me.

Speaking of preferences, I can still confirm Demidov is a Hab :D

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
There's good analysis on him vs michkov. Basically the conclusion was michkov is individually more talented than in in various aspects (obviously not all) but when it comes to their play style, demidov is much more translatable than michkov so they ultimately believed demidov will be better even though they thought michkov is a more talented player. I have no worry about how he'll be at the NHL level honestly. He'll probably be 1 of a dozen game breakers in this league that have already been draft or currently play
What i’m sure of is that Torts and Michkov will butt heads. Torts did with LeCavalier when he came in. He won’t like Michkov’s two-way game and play mind games. Michkov is a whole lot more headstrong than Lecavalier.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
What i’m sure of is that Torts and Michkov will butt heads. Torts did with LeCavalier when he came in. He won’t like Michkov’s two-way game and play mind games. Michkov is a whole lot more headstrong than Lecavalier.
Can't wait lol
popcorn-michael-jackson.gif

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
You seen evidence of that in his 4 KHL games? Please share, I would like to see it

There are shift to shift videos from last year in the KHL on youtube. He doesn’t shy away from board battles, but he does need to work on them legs and that explosiveness to come out of the corner and create separation.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad