Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Here you go...

Thanks, that's promising at least. Communication between two sides.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Nice for SKA to talk development with the Habs. My issue is that Rotenberg mentions the strong veterans they have in the organization to help him. I hope they guide him to the right ones because they will also have Kuznetsov and Galchenyuk, and I don’t want Demidov around either of those two assholes.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Nice for SKA to talk development with the Habs. My issue is that Rotenberg mentions the strong veterans they have in the organization to help him. I hope they guide him to the right ones because they will also have Kuznetsov and Galchenyuk, and I don’t want Demidov around either of those two assholes.
I thought SKA booted Chucky to Siberia last mid-season after he couldn’t cut it

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016

HuGo should actually get Demidov to hang around them the entire year with this instruction: watch everything they do and be the complete opposite when you come to the nhl

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: le_sean

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I mean, if the random YouTube vids of him and his girlfriend are any indication, he seems like a fairly wholesome kid.

I doubt he's going to be on the prowl/out on the town too much.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I mean, if the random YouTube vids of him and his girlfriend are any indication, he seems like a fairly wholesome kid.

I doubt he's going to be on the prowl/out on the town too much.
18 year olds are easily influenced. You don’t want to be the guy in the dressing room that says no, you’re already walking a tightrope trying to get icetime, you don’t need veterans in the coach’s ear saying they don’t like you.

Reactions: Vachon23

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Rotenberg: "We have a mutual agreement with Montreal about Demidov's development". He also said he had 1.5 hours talk with Montreal management (GM, president and everybody else but the head coach) about Demidov.

I love this. The fact that even if Demidov is under a KHL contract, and since there's no transfer agreement between the two leagues, the Canadiens still make sure to talk to his coach and whoever else they need to talk to in order to come to an agreement on Demidov's development. Their lines of communication are there. There is clarity between both parties.

And the fact it wasn't a one-on-one Zoom meeting, Vinny, Hughes, and Gorton were on the conference call.

Got no issues with Demidov playing with several former NHL players. He has to earn it and the coach seems like he will give him a chance.

And the rumor that Kuznetsov might be signing with them could also be a positive. On the hockey side I mean. We know about Kuznetsov's life outside of hockey, in which I hope doesn't influence Demidov.

But as you say, he will have a lot of former NHL'ers, who are skilled and will help Demidov on the ice. But also, help him learn what it's like and what it takes to be an NHL'er.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
As long as he's not getting the 4 minutes a game rookie treatment, I'm 100% fine with him playing his final year there. I'd still rather have him in North America, where we can control his development directly, but that's just how the cookie crumbles I guess.

I don't disagree with you. And we've seen that treatment of young players who have no intention of staying in Russia get limited time and barely any usage.

I still remember Romanov with CSKA. He was mostly a third pairing guy, but he'd get some Top-4 minutes and he was a regular in the line-up. In the second half of his final year in Russia, when he turned down a contract extension and he let them know he intends to sign with Habs and go to NA, they limited his minutes and made him a healthy scratch at times.

However, in this case, I'm happy to know that Habs management really took the time to communicate with the coach and set a joint plan. It shows us that HuGo aren't sitting back and letting fate dictate it all. They got proactive and opened the lines of communication. So they understand that the coach will give Demidov the chances. Then it will be up the player to take advantage of the chances.

Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Any reason why they didn’t have the same arrangement for Michkov?

To be fair, we don't know if Philly had conversations with the coach and what they were like. I know Briere had said that all they rely on are videos of Michkov because they can't communicate with him. But we don't know if he was being honest or not revealing everything.

In Michkov's case, maybe Philly asked SKA to loan him to another KHL team if he wasn't going to make SKA? They had already did that in his draft year, but maybe Philly asked to do it again? It's also possible Michkov's agent was working with SKA to loan him to Sochi in order for Michkov to play in the KHL.

But then you're wondering why Demidov wasn't loaned out last year and instead sent to their junior league. So you think back to what @WeThreeKings says, SKA wanted Michkov to play with anyone but them.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Even without paying them off, I don't see why they would keep him and pay him for no reason. It's a total waste of money to keep him and pay him a year if he isn't in the KHL. Just agree to terminate and save the money. It's not like he's re-signing.
I’m pretty ignorant of the finer print in these dealings but Russia for many years has more often than not had an adversarial dynamic with the NHL.

It might not even be money motivated. Probably resent the NHL for ‘poaching’ a lot of the it talent perhaps?

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
I’m pretty ignorant of the finer print in these dealings but Russia for many years has more often than not had an adversarial dynamic with the NHL.
Every Russian star played in the NHL. I’m certain the regime prefers their stars to shine in the NHL, contend for all time goal scoring records, and demonstrate year after year that Russia still produces some of the finest hockey players in the world. Seems like a better model than the previous one where the Russian stars played in Russia and periodically had a showcase tournament vs Canada. There is no better way to promote Russia and Russian hockey than having Russian superstars in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad