Prospect Info: [2024] 4th rd selection - #120 OA - LD, Victor Johansson - Leksands IF, J20 Nationell (5′11″ - 156/159 lb. Updated Weight)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I can’t believe the meltdown some of you had over a 4th round pick.
It’s not even about “trust the scouts” at this point in the draft the majority of guys won’t ever play a single game and even less will carve out effective NHL careers. Who cares. Wait and see and hopefully he works out. No point in getting all worked up about it either way.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
And now he is forever tied to the production of Aron Kiviharju, a consensus early 2nd round pick who slipped and went 2 picks after Johansson. It's just bad asset management. Anything less to an equal career and this is a major miss by our scouts. I'll have no problem coming back to eat crow if he is successful, but I can guarantee you'll never hear from the "trust the scouts" group again.
Oh god not the weight of living up to Kiviharju! What ever will he do.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
A few years ago the Leafs thought they were the only team to scout Parayko so they were sure they could wait to the late rounds to take him.

Teams have their own lists.

I would give. Tommy 2-3 picks a draft

Reactions: KMNRB and crump

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
How many 5'9 dman actually make it? And how many are available to draft? Probably less than 0.01% have any impact. Not worried we passed on another smurf. At least this guy has more than a 0.01% chance.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
The weight thing reminds me of when Connor Brown was drafted. So light and small. He filled out nicely. This guy at least has the height already. His one brother is 6’4” the other 6’2” I believe. Bottom line is, some scout in Sweden knows this kid, has seen his skill/ IQ whatever and projects him to be enough of a high reward, that as a 4th rounder you take that risk.

Most interesting/mysterious Leaf pick at this draft for me.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
And now he is forever tied to the production of Aron Kiviharju, a consensus early 2nd round pick who slipped and went 2 picks after Johansson. It's just bad asset management. Anything less to an equal career and this is a major miss by our scouts. I'll have no problem coming back to eat crow if he is successful, but I can guarantee you'll never hear from the "trust the scouts" group again.
You do realize a lot of teams passed on him and Bergman has weight in that group. There may be a very good reason he fell that far. People are upset because they never heard of the kid. He is now 6ft 1 and very mobile. Give it a year before we jump on this pick. What percentage of 4th rounders play 200 games in the NHL? Toronto has had good results with Swedes starting with Salming.

Last edited:
Reactions: francis246

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
How many 5'9 dman actually make it? And how many are available to draft? Probably less than 0.01% have any impact. Not worried we passed on another smurf. At least this guy has more than a 0.01% chance.
He’s not a Smurf but he is a stick. Probably not much more than a 0.1% chance. Not sure he can bulk up to the required strength without chemical help.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Every player drafted before Aron Kiviharju are forever tied to Aron Kiviharju.

Right?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
He’s not a Smurf but he is a stick. Probably not much more than a 0.1% chance. Not sure he can bulk up to the required strength without chemical help.
The kid is what 17? Right now he is 165, someone played with his weight? He can add 20 lbs in 2 years easy. They don't expect these ones (late picks)till 22 plus. It's not hard to put on weight from 18 to 21, it's common. Niemela weighed what ? This kid could become 6ft 2 185 lbs + by 22 and they would still be unhappy. Ask a pro why the other guy fell so far?

Last edited:

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Phew thank god the weight is updated, kid's now a goddamn beast!

Q7L.gif

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Why would he need 50 pounds of muscle if he's at 165 today?

We have old information that had him a 137 lbs. and more recent that has him anywhere from 159 to 165. Just turned 18. He's really an 18 year old boy.

So if the old information is a year old, and he's added 22-28 pounds in a year?
Marner weighed 160 at his draft as a finesse winger. 165 for a D is rail thin.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
If I remember correctly... Henrik Zetterberg was less than 5-06 tall and 160 pounds when drafted by Detroit in 1999. One thing I do know is that Maple Leafs scouts in Sweden generally know what they're doing.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad