Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Tyler Toffoli to 4 year deal 6M AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
For anyone who is concerned about the 4th year of the deal needs to realize the Sharks now have a total of $7.5 million committed to players in that final year.

Toffoli $6 million
Hertl Rentention $1.5 million

It will not be a problem to work around this deal even if his play falls off a cliff.
His deal will probably be fine but lets remember we will need to sign Celebrini, Smith and Eklund from their ELC's by then. Lots of money will be on the books in the coming years

Reactions: Star Platinum

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
His deal will probably be fine but lets remember we will need to sign Celebrini, Smith and Eklund from their ELC's by then. Lots of money will be on the books in the coming years
I think we'll be fine - if everything works out, they're probably making a combined $25 million, long term.

Other good prospects will need a payday a year or two later, but we should have plenty of space to sign our core guys and then work around filling up with depth

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I love the player, but not this contract. Lower the term or AAV and it'd be alright. This is... Not great. He'll be a good player for us though.
Except the contract was almost to the dollar what his projection was. Not sure we're an organization that should be expecting below market value deals for actual good players...

Reactions: Sleestak Nation

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
The cap will have already increased by more than Toffoli is making in Year 4 when it is time for the young guys to get their big deals on the books.

By 2027-28 (when the raises for Celebrini/Smith are necessary), we should have at least 1 top 6 winger (Musty/Chernyshov) still on an ELC. We should also have a top 4 defenseman (Dickinson) still on an ELC. This is when our window really starts to open so it will be nice to continue to replenish the coffers with cheap players each year to keep things manageable over time.

Reactions: weastern bias

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
The cap will have already increased by more than Toffoli is making in Year 4 when it is time for the young guys to get their big deals on the books.

By 2027-28 (when the raises for Celebrini/Smith are necessary), we should have at least 1 top 6 winger (Musty/Chernyshov) still on an ELC. We should also have a top 4 defenseman (Dickinson) still on an ELC. This is when our window really starts to open so it will be nice to continue to replenish the coffers with cheap players each year to keep things manageable over time.
Hopefully Grier can learn from his brother and NFL GMs how they value cost controlled players by almost never paying a 1st round pick for a rental.

Having 2 non 4th liners on ELCs at any given time is one way to always have a solid cap structure. If never trading 1sts and also keeping most 2nd round picks it should be easy to have the 2 players contributing on ELCs.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Hopefully Grier can learn from his brother and NFL GMs how they value cost controlled players by almost never paying a 1st round pick for a rental.

Having 2 non 4th liners on ELCs at any given time is one way to always have a solid cap structure. If never trading 1sts and also keeping most 2nd round picks it should be easy to have the 2 players contributing on ELCs.
NFL Draft is vastly different though because their first rounders step in and play impactful roles as rookies. I doubt we ever get to the point where we have that much draft success coming through the pipeline every few years, but I don't want to just dump 1st rounders for TDL fodder like Tampa and Colorado have done.

It is very rare that a TDL rental type is truly a difference maker in success or not come playoff time. If you're going to move a 1st, the better bang for your buck is leading into the draft rather than at the deadline. Won't be opposed to doing some of those deals in a couple years once we've built out a young core and need to address needs more quickly than waiting 3-4 years for someone to develop (likely a RHD and a goalie).

Reactions: weastern bias

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
This assumes that MC signs this season. He could sign in 1-2 years.

The current CBA and MOUs allow for 5% max increase (subject to negotiation like they did to bump to $88m from $87.7 for 24-25).

$92.4m for 25-26
New CBA coming in 2026
$97.02m for 26-27 if 5% increase continues.

Reactions: Sandisfan

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
NFL Draft is vastly different though because their first rounders step in and play impactful roles as rookies. I doubt we ever get to the point where we have that much draft success coming through the pipeline every few years, but I don't want to just dump 1st rounders for TDL fodder like Tampa and Colorado have done.

It is very rare that a TDL rental type is truly a difference maker in success or not come playoff time. If you're going to move a 1st, the better bang for your buck is leading into the draft rather than at the deadline. Won't be opposed to doing some of those deals in a couple years once we've built out a young core and need to address needs more quickly than waiting 3-4 years for someone to develop (likely a RHD and a goalie).
Keeping 1st round picks (even late 1sts) is critical to help keep a steady stream of young ELC players that can contribute and keep costs down. A standard 3rd liner or 3rd pair UFA will make around $3 million. By having 2 ELC players on those roles that allows for $4 million to be allocated elsewhere.

If picking in the 1st and 2nd round every year it’s not unreasonable to draft 2 players that can be top 9 FW or top 6 D every 3 years. It’s when teams keep shipping top 60 picks out for expensive roster players roster players.

Reactions: Star Platinum

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Keeping 1st round picks (even late 1sts) is critical to help keep a steady stream of young ELC players that can contribute and keep costs down. A standard 3rd liner or 3rd pair UFA will make around $3 million. By having 2 ELC players on those roles that allows for $4 million to be allocated elsewhere.

If picking in the 1st and 2nd round every year it’s not unreasonable to draft 2 players that can be top 9 FW or top 6 D every 3 years. It’s when teams keep shipping top 60 picks out for expensive roster players roster players.
That would assume that you're hitting on a majority of those late picks (picks in the mid 20's are 50/50 to play 200 NHL games) and that there is a linear development path for them to come in as another guy phases out.

That and then do you deal them as soon as they're proven and due for a raise or do you deal the next guy behind them because you have an NHLer and a bird in hand is better than two in the bush.

Think we will run into that situation with Zetterlund this year. At 25 and on a cheap expiring contract, is it worth the extension into the $4M range for 3-5 years because you know the player and how he fits or is he more valuable to trade and hope that you can find that type of player with the trade assets (probably nets a 1st rounder and more if not 2 1st rounders a la Brandon Hagel in 2022) in a few years time.

I'd steer away from dealing 1st rounders mid season at the TDL because I think the impact you get for that pick is putrid compared to what you get during draft week, but I would make a nice blend of using a pick in the 18-24 range on a player some years and to address an immediate need in others depending on what is available.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
NFL Draft is vastly different though because their first rounders step in and play impactful roles as rookies.
NFL Draft is vastly different because the guys getting drafted are on average 3 years older than the guys getting drafted in the NHL. Both sports require players that can physically withstand the pounding of the sport, but football players generally come into the league physically ready, while most hockey players need to work on their bodies just to be able to compete.

NHL Draft has more in common with MLB than any other sport.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Love love love this signing. Toffoli and Goodrow are two good veterans to have in the locker room. I really expect TT to add some much needed offense.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Thanks for sharing this, it was fun to watch. You can see that he can score in so many situations, slapshot, wicked wrister, garbage goals, absolute sniper beauties. Going to be a treat for us to watch him as a Shark!
100% agree!
I love that he has a variety of different type of goals, you truly see the hunger in his play. With the amount of playmakers we have, I can see him scoring 30-40 goals easily, even if we don't make a significant move in standings through the year.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Except the contract was almost to the dollar what his projection was. Not sure we're an organization that should be expecting below market value deals for actual good players...
Projection doesn't make it great. It's 4 years that I'm not a fan of. I still like him as a player and this won't kill us.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Projection doesn't make it great. It's 4 years that I'm not a fan of. I still like him as a player and this won't kill us.
Gotta roll with the punches.. necessary for the signing. We have never signed a bk2bk 30 goal scorer and we are at the bottom.. not even close Paul Martin, Joel ward? Enjoy this it won’t matter by year 4.. a lot of dead money will be gone as well.

Reactions: CanadienShark

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Gotta roll with the punches.. necessary for the signing. We have never signed a bk2bk 30 goal scorer and we are at the bottom.. not even close Paul Martin, Joel ward? Enjoy this it won’t matter by year 4.. a lot of dead money will be gone as well.
Yep... Nothing to lose sleep over! Again, I like the player and think he'll be good for us.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Major love for Toffoli from scouts and executives Sheng talked to about him:
“He’s a pro,” one league source said.

“Toffoli is a really good guy. Lots of fun. Will be good for the young kids,” an executive said.

“Great room guy,” Scout No. 2 said.

“He's the best guy ever,” Scout No. 3 said via text. “Awesome HUMAN for the young guys to be around.”
What NHL scouts, coaches think about new Sharks Toffoli, Wennberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad