Prospect Info: [2024] 4th rd selection - #120 OA - LD, Victor Johansson - Leksands IF, J20 Nationell (5′11″ - 156/159 lb. Updated Weight)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm sure 143 pounds was from an outdated bio...

But what is he? I'm guessing there would be some unique upside to the player, with another team sniffing around.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I'd wait until the Clark interview after the draft. I suspect a lot of raw skill and skating potential. You don't draft completely out of left field for fun.
There is something about Swedish or Finnish mobile D I find appealing. I'll take him just on that even if I have no clue how good his skills are.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
I know absolutely nothing about him. But I’m getting Alex Edler vibes who was also taken out of nowhere in the middle of the draft by Vancouver because Detroit also identified him. The fact they took him in the 4th round means he was a late riser and another team likely was was thinking about taking him as well.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I know absolutely nothing about him. But I’m getting Alex Edler vibes who was also taken out of nowhere in the middle of the draft by Vancouver because Detroit also identified him. The fact they took him in the 4th round means he was a late riser and another team likely was was thinking about taking him as well.

Or maybe a Gustav Forsling?

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Now he’s but a rumour, a nascent bag of bones. A whisper on the wind. He will grow. This is a pick I will be interested in following because it’s so literally off the board.

Reactions: Future

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Steen
Stralman
Stalberg
Gunnarsson
Johnsson
Engvall
Nylander
Grundstrom
Liljegren
Holmberg
Hildeby

We have had our share of misses too (and even most of those, like Timashov and Loov, still got cups of coffee in the NHL) but one questions our Swedish scouting staff at their peril. If Bergman and co. saw something they liked, then there is something to like in this player, regardless of whether central scouting agencies picked up on it.

KeziaTML

Apr 29, 2010
Calgary, AB
He was known to the Leafs professional scouts.
And now he is forever tied to the production of Aron Kiviharju, a consensus early 2nd round pick who slipped and went 2 picks after Johansson. It's just bad asset management. Anything less to an equal career and this is a major miss by our scouts. I'll have no problem coming back to eat crow if he is successful, but I can guarantee you'll never hear from the "trust the scouts" group again.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
And now he is forever tied to the production of Aron Kiviharju, a consensus early 2nd round pick who slipped and went 2 picks after Johansson. It's just bad asset management. Anything less to an equal career and this is a major miss by our scouts. I'll have no problem coming back to eat crow if he is successful, but I can guarantee you'll never hear from the "trust the scouts" group again.
Maybe by you, but obviously the Leafs scouts felt Johansson has a better upside than a guy who has been. In a free fall since being projected as a top pick.
People will still say trust the scouts (why wouldn't they). Scouts are not going to hit on every player. In fact most players drafted will never be in the NHL. They can just eat the same crow you reserved for yourself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad