Speculation: 2024/25 Trade Rumours, Speculation etc Thread

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I think it would be worse if a GM didn't try to load up at the deadline. I know it has real costs in draft capital - but that's magic beans in the future.

Not making moves at the deadline is the most dangerous game of all! For a GM's career, anyway. If you make moves and win, you're brilliant. If you make moves and lose, well - you tried. Can't win 'em all. Don't make moves and lose? That's on you...

You can't expect guys whose jobs are on the line to take a 10% chance that not acquiring at the deadline will result in some better team in 4 or 5 years. f*** that! We could all be working in Trump's salt mines in 5 years!

Chevy is in a unique position relative to other GMs that he has the level of job security that he can afford to think a bit long term. Esp after how the Hayes/Monahan/Tofolli experiments have ended up, I don't think he will get much if any heat if he doesn't make an "impact move" at the deadline.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Do the Jets really go the own rental route with such a valuable asset? Personally I don’t think the decision on Ehlers comes down to the TDL. If he won’t sign I think Chevy tries to make the best hockey trade he can well before the TDL so it isn’t a giving up on the season move. If Ehlers is willing to make his long term signing as part of the deal I think we could get a nice player or 2 in return.

I have been on the record since pre-season/summer that the Jets need to "make Ehlers an offer he can't refuse", like a matching deal to Scheifele in AAV and 8 year term. That is going to be more money than any team will offer him in the open market and that will go a long way in sealing any rifts if they exist. It will also give him some assurance if he feels disrespected about his usage as if the Jets are paying him like a top winger but not using him as one, they'd just be cutting off their own nose.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I have been on the record since pre-season that the Jets need to "make Ehlers an offer he can't refuse", like a matching deal to Scheifele in AAV and 8 year term. That is going to be more money than any team will offer him in the open market and that will go a long way in sealing any rifts if they exist. It will also give him some assurance if he feels disrespected about his usage as if the Jets are playing him like a top winger but not using him as one, they'd just be cutting off their own nose.
I've been wondering if they pitch matching deals to both Ehlers this season and Connor next season to keep the core together. It seems to me it is Chevy's best strategy to make a run or 2 with this group.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If Ehlers gives the team the best chance of making the playoffs, then you don't trade him. What do you think you'd get in return that could immediately help the team? For a player that is uncertain for the future of any team that traded for him. Are you going to let his agent starting talking to other teams in the middle of the season? There won't be any distractions inside the room this year. Guys are playing for pride, guys are playing for their careers, next contracts, etc. Playing for each other. That's not a bad problem to have, this year.

If he is still here at Xmas, and not extended, he will be an own rental and gone July 1.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If he is still here at Xmas, and not extended, he will be an own rental and gone July 1.
Not a guarantee. There is still a season to play...and playoffs potentially. You can negotiate right to the last minute, like the Jets did with De Melo. Maybe he increases his value with a career year. Maybe winning is worth sticking around for. I would just let things play out before writing him off. Jets did him a huge favour letting him qualify his country for the Olympics. Maybe the favour gets returned.

Reactions: KingBogo

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I've been wondering if they pitch matching deals to both Ehlers this season and Connor next season to keep the core together. It seems to me it is Chevy's best strategy to make a run or 2 with this group.
No way kc signs for same as Ehlers. Kc is an elite goal scorer and that is the thing they get paid for. Not driving 5 v 5 not two way play. Just goals and points.

Reactions: TS Quint

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Chevy is in a unique position relative to other GMs that he has the level of job security that he can afford to think a bit long term. Esp after how the Hayes/Monahan/Tofolli experiments have ended up, I don't think he will get much if any heat if he doesn't make an "impact move" at the deadline.
I think there's a ton of pressure to make an impact move if the team looks like a solid contender at Game 50. The Jets were in that position last year and the glaring weaknesses were the 2C and the powerplay - so they got Monahan. Then Vilardi goes down days before the deadline so they get Toffoli.

With Hayes, the Jets window was definitely looking open in 2018-19. Just look at that lineup (Scheifele, Wheeler, Buff, Trouba, Connor, Laine, Ehlers, Hellebuyck - it's basically the WCF team minus Enstrom and Stastny). No f***ing way you're keeping your powder dry at that deadline. And we're still waiting for that magic bean (Heinola) to amount to anything 5 years later.

Nah, everyone's going to be mad if you don't buy at the deadline when you look like you've got a contender. The fans, the team, the owners...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad